1. BoCRon

BoCRon Active Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Milton, GA USA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    #1 BoCRon, May 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2012
    I was thinking it might be fun to have an exhaust sound off of some sort. There are so many people who want to hear an exhaust in person before putting it on their MINI. I know a few people tracked me down to hear my new NM Engineering exhaust and I was happy to start Mozart up so they could hear for themselves. I'm thinking that we could find an example of the most popular exhaust systems and have them all be in the DIY tent at a given time for people to check them out.
    Just a thought,

Annette

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Well, it's one thing to hear them at idle and being revved up in a tent, quite another to hear from inside the car as you run up thru the gears or toodle along at 70 per looking for resonance and drone.

Not trying to rain on your idea, I think it's a good'un.....but only part of the story, isn't it?

Are people really going to hang around all day revvin the motor and burning gas? I'd rather be out driving, meownself.....

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Interesting idea.

Moving this to the 2012 MOTD 10 area

What might be a good way to make this work?

Break it into 1 hour sessions, with slots for various model types and generations.

Get people to sign up to demo the exhaust.

Possibly allow people that narrow down a choice to 1 or 2 to arrange for test ride with the owner of the MINI with the brand the potential buyer would like to hear.

These are but a few ideas, please add yours.

4. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    This really does sound like a good idea. I would like to hear various exhausts and have a chance for the owner to give details about install, performance, inside drone and the like.

Jim

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I think this is a good idea too. Although unless one rides in a car with a specific exhaust it will be hard to really tell if you like it or it is a droner. :idea: Car swap at the dragon.

6. BoCRon

BoCRon Active Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Milton, GA USA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I realize that riding in the car is the best way, but thought this might be a start for some people. I ended up buying mine based on youtube videos :D, in person would have definitely been a step up.
    I don't think people need to hang out all day, just a time slot and have a selection there at that time to listen to and hear about from the driver. At previous MoTDs I'd walk around and see some exhausts (or other mods) that I was interested in but the car owner wasn't around to talk to. If I ever did catch an owner near their car, they are always more than happy to demonstrate what they can and helped me out a lot on prior mods.
    May not work out, just thinking out loud I guess.

Annette

7. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    This would be a great addition. If someone wants to head this up, I'll be more than happy to slot it in the "DIY" tent schedule. Maybe after hearing the cars sitting still, you could offer a short ride leaving Fontana at the first exit and re-entering at the last one by the store.

8. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I doubt that I am going to purchase an exhaust system any time in the foreseeable future, since I am quite happy with my one-ball, but I love this idea. One way it could work would be for those who are going to demonstrate their exhausts would stop by a tent, fill out a form giving pertinent info about their car, and receive some letters to post on their car to identify it. They would then proceed to a line-up point. At the appointed time, the cars would parade through the chosen venue, one-at-a-time, so all interested could hear what each car sounds like. An announcer would, as each car goes by, read the previously provided info. Spectators could sign up requesting rides in the cars they are interested in. I don't want to be in charge, but I'd be willing to help with something like this.

9. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    good idea, I could even create a signup sheet where folks could list the particulars of their exhasut, that way folks can see prior to the event what time of exhaust will be there.

10. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    #10 Snooter, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    :Thumbsup:

11. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    #11 DneprDave, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2012
    I don't think it is a good idea to run the cars inside the tent, it'd gas you right out!:D

Dave

12. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    I'm working on the schedule for the 2012 MOTD. Does anyone want to take the lead and make this happen?

13. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I'm glad that Fontana limits their cabin rentals to MOTD participants only that weekend... if I were on my "relaxin' in the woods" vacation and had 20+ MINIs driving by my cabin reving their engines, I wouldn't be a happy camper!

Great idea. I particularly like the 'drive by' idea and Nathan's suggestion of breaking 'em up by model...at least R50, R53, R56-S and R56-non (plus a Countryman / Coupe / other category, perhaps).

Another possible way would be to tie it in to the car show. I'd bet that many different exhaust types would be represented at the show and you could just post a small sign on the roof or windshield (Ex: Ask me about my exhaust: Alta Sportone + Vibrant resonator) so folks would know what was on the car and could ask for a demo.

14. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Well, ya gotta love the MINI Community, I post up that we need someone the head this up and 5 minutes later I have a PM with a volunteer....stay tuned for details!!!!!

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    You'll want to have a set of these for my demo :devil:

[​IMG]

16. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Where do those plug in??

17. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Your "head set" of course. :Thumbsup:

Jim

18. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Moderators, can we change the name of this thread to "Exhaust sound-off"?

This is the first time I have actually agreed to "host" an event, so be kind. So far, there are 10 people signed up with some systems I'm really looking forward to hearing. We have a Magnaflow, a Supersprint, a Borla, a JCW sound kit, a JCW w/ Mynes V2 header, a Invidia q300 with Riss Racing cat less downpipe, a Scorpion/OBX header, and a couple of custom systems (and one just described as "deafening" :lol:). The sign-up doesn't have room for enough of the kind of information that I think would be helpful and interesting to folks, so I would like to encourage the participants to provide some additional information, like year and model of your Mini, as much as you would care to tell us about the exhaust system, and any other mods that relate to the exhaust note. You can put it right in this thread, or if you prefer, pm me, and I will somehow make it available at the event.

19. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    #19 davavd, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
    As of today (2/19), we now have 16 signed up.
    1. minibluecabrio (Scorpion catback, OBX header): blue 06 MCSC w/ Alta CAI, 380 injectors, 17% pulley
    2. IndieCooper (Exhaust Depot custom catback): black w/ green 10 MCS
    3. colinmini (12” glasspack, 15 minute-switchable w/ stock muffler): red/white 05 MC
    4. mielnicki (R-speed catback): purple 05 MC w/ DDM Works CAI
    5. mc40monster (Supersprint catback, 04 MC, 4/1 header, no cat, race mufflers, and resonator)
    6. Tigger (Magnaflow)
    7. MiniBee (JCW sound kit)
    8. 03minikid (deafening)
    9. Frodo (custom 2.5” straight pipe w/ Magnaflow resonators)
    10. Mr. Jim (JCW with Mynes V2 header)
    11. Porhos (Invidia q300 w/ Riss Racing catless downpipe)
    12. PoonRacing (Borla)
    13. Mike the Plumber (old school glasspack)
    14. Davisflyer (JCW w/ RMW header)
    15. Chili PA (RMW street header w/Milltek):05 R53 MCS w/ DDM Works CAI, RMW BVH "The Jesus Head", RMW CAM, Helix 15% Pully, Larger injectors, Meth
    16. minipuck (NM Engineering Downpipe Back 2.3 inch diameter, 3.5 inch tips): black 12 MCS

I would like to add some more info to 6-14 , as it becomes available.

The plan appears to be that on Thursday at 3pm we will assemble in the parking lot near the store, and each car will make a small loop. This should give us a reasonable opportunity to hear acceleration, deceleration, and a couple of gear changes. The route is indicated on the pic below.

ExhaustSound-offRoute3.jpg

I would like to see a few more entries, maybe a one-ball....

20. minipuck

minipuck New Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ah bummer - sounds fun. I can't make it up to the Dragon until Friday morning. Looks like a fun event.