2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Exhaust V-Clamp R & R?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Dwight, May 17, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Is there some trick to taking the exhaust v-clamp on and off? Already did it once and it was a MAJOR hassle. Have to do it again as I screwed up the install of a SSA (no 6th gear). Help! :confused:

2. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I normally use 2 straight blade screw drivers to pry it open. I insert the flat end through the hole, kinda cross them in an "X". This will allow you to spread the clamp without destroying it.

I know that explanation isn't that great, you really have to see it, but if you get under there with 2 straight blade drivers you will figure it out.

3. Dwight

Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Thanks much btw. If I get brave enough I'll try that out today. :Thumbsup:

4. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    The OEM v-band is indeed a pain. It's a shame they couldn't use true marmon flanges on the downpipe and cat-back with a REAL v-band. Before I had a 3-bolt flange fabricated on my system, I took the bolt all the way out and just muscled it off. I don't think there are really any secrets to doing it except trying to mix finesse with brute force. The real pain for me used to be putting it back on. I found that lying on my back gave me more leverage than having the car on a lift. I don't miss that piece of crap one bit!

5. Dwight

Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

LMAO!! Guess I used your technique for getting that damn thing back on: brute force and profanity. If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost to put that 3-bolt clamp on? That V-clamp's gotta go! :mad2: