2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Expected performance after intake valve cleaning?

1. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    Don't expect it to be like night and day. But things should be better.

Each car seems to be different on carbon buildup. Things like driving type and maybe environment come in to play.

For example mine weren't cleaned until I hit 100,000 miles. The shop I used was surprised at the low buildup. Said they have had low mile cars that look worse. Possible difference, my car was used for long distance commutes and racked up big miles in short time on long hauls. Not a grocery getter.

As far as oil goes. You are pretty much in spec as far as MINI is concerned. They believe 1000-1500 miles per qt of consumption is ok. Don't recall the exact number.

2. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    How much oil have you had to add in between oil changes?

3. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    My 08 Clubman was night and day after being blasted. Won't let that happen again

4. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    My oil consumption isn't terrible. As a rule of thumb I check my oil every other fill up. So basically twice a month. Maybe in 5000 miles I add a total of a quart over time.

The only time I recall being down a whole quart was after my trip to the dragon this year. My round trip was roughly 1500 miles and when I got home I was down an entire quart.

5. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    It's interesting that driving conditions could be the number one cause of the carbon build-up, I know will not look pretty because of all the oil I saw built up when installing my AEM CAI system!

I probably do more stop and go than I do on freeway, it's a little bit of both. I have changed the way that I drive, I will go out of my way (20 miles) if I'm about to travel short distances, I'll take the long way around that has less red lights.

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    If you pull the intake manifold off the engine you can see down inside the intake runners in the head.... You will be able to tell pretty quickly how much carbon buildup you have.... The buildup restricts flow... If a lot gets removed, you should feel a nice performance pickup after the ecu relearns the new adaptations...

Much like, no two people drive the same, no two buildups are the same.... Slow, short daily drives that don't let the engine reach operating temperature are the worse....

7. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    #8 Systemlord, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    Should I be considering BSH R56 Oil Catch Can? I'd like to keep it clean rater than letting it get like this again. Don't I need to blocking off the first PCV line before adding the BSH oil catch can?

As I understand it the N14 motors have two PCV hose, one that goes to the throttle body and the other that goes to the turbos inlet. So I need to block off the PCV hose going to the throttle body and install the BSH oil catch can, correct? This will not cause any other problems will it?

8. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    #9 Systemlord, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    I picked up my 2007 MCS just awhile ago, service tech said it was one of the worst cases he had seen, the pictures told all! He will email them to me tomorrow, from what I saw it looked like tar, you know when you use tar when re-roofing your house.

I couldn't even see the valves, they were completely unrecognizable and the intake runners looked like someone poured roofing tar down my intake runners! My God, to say that it's night and day performance wise is an understatement.

I'm now for the first time hearing something (a woosh) I have never heard before and I have had my Mini since March, it definitely sounds like massive airflow somewhere in the engine, this is my first turbo power car so I'm unclear what it might be.

I gather whatever it is it sounds like a good thing, like fast moving pressurize airflow on acceleration. I can hear something spinning faster the more I step on the pedal. You can tell because the more you step on the pedal the louder the sound is, is that the turbo spooling up?

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Glad that worked well for you. Enjoy the added power & drivability. Looking forward to seeing those pictures.

10. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I installed a BSH oil catch can and blocked off the PCV hose to the throttle body soon after I bought my car. I haven't had any problems. I empty the can monthly and I get a few ounces of oil/water mix each time.

Dave

11. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    From where did you purchase the block off fitting to plug the PCV hose near the throttle body?

12. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    #13 Metalman, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    Audi has them for $11.00 or so each...

"For those interested in getting the cap to block off the firewall side PCV port on the valve cover that leads to the intake manifold. It can be purchased from the AUDI parts counter P/N 036131510 Vent Cap....."

Go here.... http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/cooper-s-clubman-s-engine-drivetrain/15334-possible-fix-carbon-issue-2nd-gen-mini-s-jcw-6.html#axzz2dD0O6enf

13. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
  14. Austinsynthetics

Austinsynthetics Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 18, 2012
    Amsoil Distributor and Registered Nurse
    California
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I have two essentially new caps to block the PCV hose if anyone is interested. I'll sell both for $10, plus shipping. Reason I'm selling.....I sold my N14 shortly after installing these caps.

15. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Do you have any idea what happens after blocking off the passenger side PCV port and using a BSH OCC on the drivers side PCV to the turbo inlet cause the oil to build up throughout the intake plumbing? I would hate to (trade one problem for another) see the oil building up throughout the intake plumbing while keeping the intake valves clean, kind of like a double sided sword.

16. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    The whole reason for the Oil Catch Can is to collect the oil/water that would otherwise go into the intake system.

Don't ever block the PVC to the throttle body without also installing an Oil Catch Can on the turbo side PVC line.

Dave