F.S. Mega Mini Cam & OEM "Sport" Springs (1st Gen.)

Discussion in 'Classifieds Archive' started by BlwnAway, Sep 13, 2012.

1. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    #1 BlwnAway, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
    Basicly cleaning up my basement and this is what I have left.

Cam:
    Mega Mini, from the last batch, good all around use, "turns on" about 4800 rpm & pulls all the way to 8000, only used for 2 weeks, perfect condition, was $400.00 new. (Basicly I got "lucky" and have an ecu that doesn't like cams of any kind, so I'm stuck using OEM)
    $300.00 shipped (up to $25.00) Sold

Springs:
    '5 OEM "Sport" springs, 45,000 miles or so, basicly a good alternative if you need to replace your old worn out springs & don't want to go lowered or spend the money to buy new.
    $125.00 shipped (up to $25.00-

Just PM me if your interested.

2. Camaro

Camaro New Member

May 5, 2009
    Industrial designer
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Never heard of an ECU not liking a cam. Is this a new development?

3. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    #3 BlwnAway, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    No not new, just something that a lot of people don't know about, after trying 2 cams, I decided to do some research before spending money on a third. So what I found is the for some reason the Mini ECU tends to sometimes be hyper sensative to a cam change, the bad thing is that you can never really tell until you try. The ECU is what causes some cars to have misfires and low compression issues when using an aftermarket cam, the ECU for some reason see's the change in lift and duration as a problem, and then overcompensates, usually by over fueling a cylinder and causeing a small fuel wash scenario, wich in turn causes a loss in compression on that cylinder which is then viewed by the ECU as a misfire.

Even though there is no real rhym or reason as to which cars it will effect, the one thing that I did find is that the more radical the cam the more of an increased chance you have of this happening, and for some reason the later the model year (1st gen) the more of an increase also. Mine is just one that hypersensative to the whole thing, even the ACG I just installed had some hiccups and gave the ECU a reason to create some changes in adaptations, and all the ACG does is create a very slightly advancing the OEM cam.

I've been told that the new update in the F/A software will help me to work around it, but after the increase I recieved from the ACG , and the fact that I even had something slight come up with it, I just didn't want to go through the time and effort to experiment anymore. If I don't sell it then maybe, when I'm done with the rest of what I'm doing with this incarnation of this motor, and if I have some free time and another vehicle to drive, I might play with it a bit, but for know I'd rather just keep driving the car, besides I'm still making improvememts and it's still more fun all the time, I don't feel like troubleshooting something that probably won't gain me that awfully much more anyway. (other than the gain I got from the ACG that is.)

But thanks for bringing it up, so more people can learn about these different kinds of things.

4. Camaro

Camaro New Member

May 5, 2009
    Industrial designer
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    DOWN WITH CENSORSHIP

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Posts that were hostile or attacked the product and or seller have been removed.

lets keep it to being a for sale thread, not a chop down what you don't like in a childlike manner thread. Save that for the not so friendly sites.

Thanks and have a nice day. :)

6. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    #6 BlwnAway, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
    Thank You Nathan,

Aparently there was some goings on while I was in bed yesterday, so I did want to add this, while I was doing my research to try & figure out what was wrong I did have the cam checked by someone non Mini related and local to me, and was assured that it was in proper order, everything matched up and straight, plus this is a forged core cam not cast like some others.

Anyone who may be interested in either of these items, there is a good chance I'll be D/T event in Chicago, just to hang out:

http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/chicago-mini-motoring-club/14868-detroit-tuned-garage-day-chicagoland.html

If you want to save a few bucks, and will be there, just let me know, I'll be willing to work something out.

7. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    Wanted to bump this once, before I box everything back up.