F1 F1 - 2013

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by Nathan, Nov 25, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Don't understand Mark's starts either. In GP the start is everything, so much ground to be made with a good start.

Stinker, remember Mansell in Cart? He surprised a lot of people with his ability.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTzIGHRLrn8]Tooned 50: The Grand Finale - YouTube[/ame]

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Very nice.....

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  5. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    #1445 Gil-galad, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    Let's see...of the six drivers who went on record clearly favoring Alonso, three are friends from familiar Spanish-speaking countries (Perez, Gutierrez, and Maldonado), two have been perpetual 2013 bridesmaids with no love lost for Vettel (Webber and Hamilton) and would love nothing more than to get into his head, and the other (Kovalainen) has two whole F1 races {this year} to his credit -- hardly enough experience to form anything other than a subjective opinion.

Sounds like mostly personal alliances and sour grapes to me.

Interesting that the Autoweek author isn't even willing to put his name on this drivel.

6. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    To be fair, Kovalainen has done more than 100 F1 races since 2007, though only 2 were this year.

I don't think anyone knows the answer to the Vettel-Alonso question. I have been very impressed with some of Alonso's drives this year, showing true grit when things weren't going his way, but as Vettel hasn't been in that position, who knows if he would have been as impressive?

7. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Hard to compare, who knows if the Red Bull car would have been as good if it had been built around Alonso or if the Ferrari would have been better if it had been built around Vettel....

Both are dang fine drivers.:cool:

8. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Yes hard to compare. Obviously both are supremely talented. That being said I think Alonso's race craft is better. He got results from a car that was an underdog.

9. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    Hard say who is better really. When you make it to F1, you've hit the pinnacle of driving fast. In order to make your car go fast, however, the driver has to work very closely with the designers and the engineers to maximize whatever to get the car to respond better. In 2013, the Redbull made a noticeable upgrade in performance after the break. That means, to me, team and driver worked very closely and hard together. Up until then, the top 2 to 4 teams were very close.

I think Lotus did a good job of attempting to keep up with the Redbulls, but frankly, Ferrari looks like they packed it in and left Alonso in a lurch for the rest of the season. The fans should have been booing Ferrari, not Vettel.

Reports of Vettel staying in the garage into the night to help the mechanics pack up their equipment before going out to celebrate their win as a team tells me Vettel participates in the team and is not just the driver. Even after a breakdown of his car, Vettel stayed after the race to help figure out what happened.

As for Alonso, he made some magnificent starts of races, and maximizes what the Ferrari can give him. I would say they are both pretty even in skill, with Vettel, perhaps working a bit harder to understand the car he is blessed with and working to improve it throughout the season. Alonso, being frustrated with an underperforming car, gave us a great season with what he had.

As for the Malaysian GP, I felt Vettel passed Webber because, if he didn't, he was in danger of being passed by Hamilton. Hamilton was within 1 second behind Vettel outside of the DRS zones. Within the DRS zones, Vettel sped up and got close to Webber to avoid being passed. After Vettel made the infamous pass on Webber, everybody backed off. Webber needed to go a bit faster and I'm sure Vettel would have let him stay in the lead. Frankly, if you turn down your engine and expect to be gifted the win after only halfway through the race, I agree with Vettel, you don't deserve to win. You've ripped off all the racing fans who spent big money to watch a Formula 1 grand prix race.

My opinion (if that matters to anybody) is that Vettel won because he worked harder than anybody else and took the necessary risks to gain that advantage. The second half of the season, did anybody else notice how well he preserved the tires. He was the only driver to have an extra set of tires to start a race with. He got 13 laps off the supersofts in Korea, where everybody else was getting 5 laps in practice. In Brazil, he was the only driver to go out with slicks (in the rain) in FP1 and got valuable data for the team, and still managed have the 3rd best lap time.

I'm usually an underdog supporter. I would like to see Caterham move up the rankings and perhaps Sauber and Williams become more competitive with the top teams.

I look forward to next season...

:postcount

10. tampadave

tampadave New Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Lawyer
    Clifton, VA
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I would most like to see Williams improve, though I would similarly like to see Caterham get in the $$$$$ in 2014. I'd personally love to see Mercedes and Force India fighting it out for 10th place, but that's unlikely. I have nothing against Sauber. Good team with potential. Someone needs to figure out a solution to ending Red bull domination.

11. tampadave

tampadave New Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Lawyer
    Clifton, VA
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Just received an e-mail update from racer.com:

Pastor Maldonado to Lotus! I smell a Venezuelan money infusion.

Ross Brawn out at Mercedes! This was expected, as I recall.

12. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Thanks for the heads up. I was figuring that would happen, now confirmed.

13. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    First of all I have to say I think this is yet another example of everyone pushing the gift-giving season way too early. That said...

Here's Jenson Button giving out what are supposedly secret Santa presents at what I think is a children's hospital. Note McLaren sponsor Santander are obviously involved, maybe trying to hook them while they're young? I also think it's funny (and maybe a little sad) that while he's there to give presents to the kids, the adults are doing all the smiling...the kids, not so much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    #1454 minimark, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
    Whilst the children might not know him from Adam's house cat (not kitty), the parents and most importantly the press sure do, so having a person of Button's stature participate in an event such as this, brings much needed attention to those in need of help...

Well done Jenson!:cool:

15. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Schumacher's take!

From motorsports:

Dec.2 (GMM) Michael Schumacher has described Mark Webber's performance alongside dominant world champion Sebastian Vettel this year as "shocking".

Schumacher, Vettel's German compatriot, mentor and friend, said that if any driver is going to beat his tally of 91 wins and seven world titles, he wants it to be the Red Bull star.

The 44-year-old said Vettel's performance in 2013 was particularly impressive.

"Look at his teammate, that's your reference point," Schumacher said.

"I mean, he (Vettel) won all those races, 13 this year I think. Mark Webber, if I'm right, won none in the end. That's pretty shocking.

"I'm glad I'm not his teammate," he smiled.

Meanwhile, as many in the paddock tip Mercedes to have an early advantage over the 2014 field with a superior V6 engine, Schumacher is not so sure.

He thinks Renault-powered Red Bull might continue to dominate.

"I think you shouldn't expect too many changes because of the (new) engine," the former Mercedes driver, and continuing ambassador for the marque, said.

"Aerodynamics always outplays the engine, and that will always be the case in the future," added Schumacher.

"The better car, the better package, will win in the end."

16. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    The 44-year-old said Vettel's performance in 2013 was particularly impressive.

"Look at his teammate, that's your reference point," Schumacher said.

"I mean, he (Vettel) won all those races, 13 this year I think. Mark Webber, if I'm right, won none in the end. That's pretty shocking.

Pretty much what I've been saying all year, if it was just down to the car like the Alonso supporters say, Webber would have been right beside him at pretty much every race -much like it was for Rubens with Schumi . The fact that didn't happen tells me that it's more than just the car.

17. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Actually I read it as him saying that Vettel's performance was even more shocking because he was able to outpace Webber in a Red Bull... He was crediting Vettel with even more because of, not in spite of Webber's considerable talents...

How many races would Webber have won had it not been for Vettel?

18. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I know of at least one: "Multi 2-1".

19. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Bernie posed a similar question with a slightly different perspective.

"If by chance Sebastian [Vettel] wasn't there, would Red Bull have got the same results?"

I'm not certain what point he was angling toward and I honestly don't care -- it's Bernie, after all -- but it got me thinking about Red Bull's season.

Never mind how they would have done with Alonso instead of Vettel or Raikkonen instead of Vettel, etc. Given Webber won zero races this year (and yes, I'm choosing to gloss over the Multi-21 fiasco for the moment) and his best results were 5x 2nd place finishes while Vettel came 1st or 2nd 15x, was the Red Bull car itself actually as dramatically ahead of the crowd as credited?

Webber finished 3rd overall, 43 points behind Alonso but only 28 ahead of Rosberg in 6th.

Is Webber just a mid-pack driver (we never mention him when discussing which drivers are best/fastest) and the car helped him to 3rd? Or is Webber quick and the car just looks like it's dominant because Vettel is the best driver in F1?

20. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Or was the car designed to Vettel's driving style with Weber having to adapt?