MotoringFile F56 MINI Engine & Transmissions Unveiled – A Quick Look at the Numbers

Discussion in 'MINIs in Other Media' started by JoeClubman, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    YOW....
    cct1.... I musta found your tender spot.... Sheesh...

b200350346.jpg

2. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I would agree with you if the tires and suspension were done only to set the time and then came off and were sold without these goodies from the factory....

But they didn't... It wasn't a one shot deal.... That's the way you can get them from the factory....

I wouldn't consider that MINI cheated....

You want cheating.... Ask Chris Harris what he thinks about how Ferrari sets their times..... I would call that cheating...

Sooo.... Let me guess.... You have a R53.... Am I right?:D

3. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    #23 cct1, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    Yes, I have an R53, it's not why I'm disappointed in the R56 GP; it's no "threat" to me, it's not nearly as fast as my R53. And it shouldn't be, my car is heavily modded.

Going from ultra performance summer tires to R-comps at Road America, a 4 mile track, shaves more than 4 seconds. How do you think that translates roughly at the 'ring? (Hint, the ring is roughly 14 miles).

MINI claims it's the fastest MINI around the ring--the insinuation is the CAR is better on the track. The reality is the TIRES are better on the track. You don't have a problem with that. I do. If you buy the GP because you want a GP as a daily driver, it doesn't really matter. But then again, if you buy it for a daily driver, those sticky tires are a waste. If you buy a GP because you want a TRACK car, which is how MINI wants the car perceived, it most certainly does matter. It makes a huge difference, and it's disingenuous what MINI did.

If you want to give the props to the GP because it made up time with better tires, which has absolutely nothing to do with BMW/MINI engineering and improved car, that's fine for you. It's not fine for me for BMW to portray the car as much better than it actually is when it has nothing to do with how they built the car and everything to do by putting better rubber on it. I want to know how the car compares to the previous GP with an equal driver on equal tires. That is the only fair comparison, it's the only one that matters to most of us, and if it were done, the R56 suddenly isn't looking all that much of an improvement, which is an embarrassment to BMW considering how much effort was put into the R56 GP, while the R53 was cobbled together at the last minute and STILL is roughly as good on the ring.

If/When MINI comes out with a 2L that is approaching 300HP, with proper brakes and suspension, it will LEGITIMATELY toast the R53 and R53 GP on the ring. And I will be the first one to give it a hearty three cheers, and toast it with a very good glass of beer.

I almost toasted the R56 GP when the numbers first came out, until I caught the little bit about the tires. And yes, at that point, I dismissed it. The way it's sticking around on dealers lots, it looks like I'm not the only one.

4. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    ^^^^ this round goes to MM.

cct1, ya got to do better then that.

Ladies and gentlemen Round #3 is is coming up.......:D

Jim

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Are you kidding me????:lol::lol::lol:

Just hold on for the new turd gen (oops) 3rd Gen GP 3 that car will have all the features of Speed Racers Mach 5 but none of the class of an Original GP.

6. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    It's no point arguing it anymore, I'm done with it. If you don't get that 4 seconds a lap on a 4 mile track is huge (it's beyond huge, it's ginormous), and tires alone can make that difference, and that the R56 GP comparison to the R53 has yet to be done properly, I'm wasting my time. Either you get it or you don't. Those that track get it. Those that don't, don't. If you don't get it, it probably doesn't matter to you anyway, and that's fine. It's unfathomable to me that you think it's a reasonable comparison, but ok then, we'll just have to agree to disagree, and make fun of each other in private, at least until Nate is fully recovered.

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Where is this article on the "ring times of the new GP?

8. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Motoringfile posted it. Don't have the link handy, but it's on there somewhere.

9. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
  10. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    #30 rum4, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
    it just goes on and on. the hate for GP2 just continues, and yes I own one. I don't come in here bashing the other models. never rode in a GP1 so I can't compare the 2. If anyone has an unmolested one I would love to take a spin in it.

11. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    And when the GP3 comes out, it will be most likely be the fastest MINI GP.....
    I hope they continue to tweek the engines, introduce lighter bodies, better suspension and chances are better tires will be had....

Cheating.... I don't think so.... It's called improving the marque...

Now if they add engine noises played through the speakers.... I'm outta here...

Course, no manufacturer in their right mind would would stoop so low... Would they?:D

12. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Improving the car is not cheating. Putting a disposable item, i.e. tires, on the car, which has nothing to do with improving the car itself, then claiming the car is 18 seconds faster, when the reality is the car is 2-3 seconds faster on the ring, is cheating.

The gp3 has the possibility of legitimately blowing the other car's times to shreds, and that I'd applaud and give it the props it deserves, rather than fall for Minis claims of how much faster the gp2 is than the gp, when the reality is it was done with smoke and mirrors to get an eye popping number. It's disappointing that Mini would pull crap like this but not altogether surprising.

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Wasn't this thread about the New Engines and Transmissions?

Lets go back that please.

14. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    We could, but then the thread would die.

Besides, you're feeling better, so we all thought we'd start taking more liberties.

15. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    cct1, if you are so upset and disappointed over the GP2 take it up with BMW/Mini. I for one am tired of all the GP2 hate. If you haven't driven it then ..........

16. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Ok ok ok let's all calm down and take a big step back. We don't need an all out war, while we all have our own views (including me) and we need agree to disagree.

Lets move along.

17. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    #37 cct1, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
    You TOTALLY missed the point. I do not hate the GP2. it's a great car misrepresented by a bogus comparison. If a legitimate point/criticism bothers you, just ignore it. Many have.

Although the original GP is the platform if I had it to do over again I'd chose, I was disappointed when it came out. Why? It was underpowered. The GP2 made the EXACT same mistake, it should have more power for what it is, and it's price point. They did some good things with it, but once again missed the mark. The GP3 may FINALLY get it all right. BOTH the GP and GP2 were misses; I don't "hate' either one though, but I do hate an apples to oranges comparison to make one car look substantially better than the one it's replacing.

Nate, I promise I'm out now, even if someone else calls me out.

18. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Why worry what other's think? What you think is what matters Rick.

19. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    yea I know but the ramblings get old and I agree Mini should have bumped the hp up considerably on the GP2. it's all good maybe they will get it right this time, I doubt it.

20. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    So where did the article ever state what tires were on the GP2 besides "high-performance 215/40 R17 sport tires"?