3rd Gen F56 Cooper S F56 Production Issue: No Black/White Roof

Discussion in '3rd Generation: 2014+ F54, F55, F56, F57, F60' started by KnottyPine, Apr 16, 2014.

1. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I emailed a Motoring Advisor friend of mine and he hasn't heard of any delays. I'll check with another at a different dealer too.

2. KnottyPine

KnottyPine New Member

Apr 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    It's not a ridiculous statement.

Monochrome MINIs are rare because they sell less. They sell less because there is less demand for them and/or they're harder to get (i.e., not an option or more expensive).

I don't know about any other mini, but the F56 can be ordered with any roof color at no cost. If that's true for other MINIs, it means that there is just less demand for them.

If there's less demand, they're harder to sell. Thus less resale value.

3. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    #23 Spa2k, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    ^^^ Um, okay ... :crazy: :confused: :frown2:

A couple of minutes of Googling will get you a wealth of information. For example, when BMW retooled the Oxford plant for the production of the F56 and other MINI models, it more than doubled the number of production robots to over 1,000. In addition, the plant is running three shifts because the number of F56 orders is strong. All of these things can contribute to production slowdowns that are unfortunate but should not be considered abnormal for a new model startup.

Also, in the UK dealers have been told that production of contrasting roofs is on constraint for May and June production. That means the number of MINIs with contrasting roofs will be limited - not stopped entirely. The UK dealers also were told to order MINIs without contrasting roofs for stock and demo use, so all available production could be devoted to customer cars. (Personally, I hate this idea because it makes the cool monochrome cars less rare.) :prrr:

So, if you really want an F56 with a contrasting roof, don't give up your place in line now - or you'll be considerably older when you get your car if you wait to order it until after the constraint is lifted.

Take this information to your dealer, make him turn on his official MINI computer and say, "Hey, some knucklehead on MA found this information last night. Is this the way it's working for U.S. dealers too?" Or you could call the MINI toll-free line and ask someone there; sometimes those folks know a lot more than they're given credit for knowing.

Peace, love and good luck. :fingerscrossed:

4. KnottyPine

KnottyPine New Member

Apr 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Again, Spa2k, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. Obviously some people like monochrome--even prefer it--but it doesn't change the fact that 90-something percent of MINIS are not ordered that way.

Regarding the new factory: perhaps some growing pains are expected. But silence from MINI is hardly the best way to address the problem. As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, MINI is conducting their F56 launch campaign with every indication that you should hurry on in to your dealer and order today.

As an Iowan, I'm not sure where you heard that MINI UK is devoting limited production spots to custom B/W roof orders. But earlier in this thread I explained how I've spoken to 5 MINI dealers across the United States and two different MINI USA reps. Every one of them confirmed that MINI is not producing any B/W roof F56s until "at least July." None of them indicated that there would be any allowance for custom orders.

Maybe MINI is trying to scramble to have the problem fixed very quickly, so they're hesitant to commit to anything. But the fact that they haven't even publicly addressed the problem has obviously led to some confusion.

5. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    Where I live has nothing to do with my ability to get information. I merely was reporting how the contrasting roof situation apparently is being handled in the U.K. - which is different than the messages here reflect about what's happening in the U.S. It's entirely possible, for example, that the entire limited production of contrasting roof cars will stay in Europe until the production problems are solved. This is no small problem for MINI, and I'm sure there was lots of discussion about further delaying the launch of the F56. However, with recent MINI sales being so weak and buyer interest being so high, they had to get some hardtops in the pipeline.

No manufacturer is going to go public with information saying, "We have this great feature that's a well-known characteristic of our vehicles, but you can't have one," which seems to be the desire of some folks. However, a buyer here could use the U.K. information in a face-to-face meeting with a MINI dealer to get the real answer about what's going on. No phone calls or e-mails - walk in, plunk your checkbook down on the table, tell him or her you want to buy a MINI and you want the real story. I wouldn't settle for anything less than seeing the actual memo from MINI, which I know my dealer would show me. YMMV.

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well, some people should just not even buy a MINI if they get this uptight about just ordering one.

Just saying .....:rolleyes:

7. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    There's a company in Denmark called Flowmarket that sells novelty cans with inspirational messages on them. Guess what they show in their catalog for Can F56?

[​IMG]

:lol:

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,680 / 2 / -0
    Well it seems to me that if someone builds their dream MINI only to find out they can not build it that way they just might be upset. Color is very important to many folks.

I have no dog in this fight, but I'd be miffed to be told I couldn't have an F56 in the contrasting colors I like. But I don't. :D

9. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    True, but why would you EVER buy the first year or two of a new MINI production run. :confused5:

Early 1st Gens, had issues.
    Early 2nd Gens, had issues.
    Early 3rd Gens, already has issues.

Just saying.....

Just buy a discounted NEW R56 and be happy. I cannot believe I am saying this but an R56 is now as close to MINI build perfection as you will get right now.
    The new F56 will take some time to have all the bugs worked out and if BMW / MINI history has showed us anything it takes 2 years. :smilewinkgrin:

10. KnottyPine

KnottyPine New Member

Apr 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    This is a fascinating issue because the B/W roof is a purely aesthetic traditional option, but MINI is a company that places a high premium on aesthetics, tradition, and options. To paraphrase one dealer I spoke to, "this is one of the stupidest things MINI has ever done in my opinion. They might as well not sell the F56 at all until they fix it."

I appreciate everyone's effort to respond to me. It's definitely above and beyond what anyone at MINI has done so far (i.e., vague or curt answers over the phone, still no reply to my emails). For the record, I am someone who went into the dealership checkbook-in-hand, ready to buy. I can certainly try to use this anecdote about the UK situation to arm my dealer with some ammunition for his inquiry up the corporate ladder.

I'm not sure whether you (all) are implying that MINI shouldn't have to address this issue. I just find it laughably frustrating that I've had to spend so much effort trying to squeeze an answer out of them. I made this thread in hopes that it may yield a definitive answer for other prospective buyers without the need to hear the "surprise" at their dealership and pull teeth trying to get a straight answer.

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    A person that requested to be nameless at a US based dealership that also asked to be nameless has told me that for the US May 2014 production is sold out and that orders placed now for June production can be ordered with contrasting roof colors.

I have feelers out to others as well in order to corroborate this info.

12. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    KnottyPine, hopefully Nathan's nameless source is correct and you can go in and order the F56 that you want. I agree with you that for a company that prides itself on Youification, it is sad that one of the first options in the configurator to do just that, isn't really an option! I made the mistake of settling on the build specs of my R55 and I think that it was the reason that I never fully enjoyed the car. As far as being an early adopter of the new model, somebody has to do it or you won't end up with enough cars on the road to find those pesky bugs/issues.

13. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    ^ thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

14. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #34 Dave.0, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    and you sold yours right.....your welcome......:mtrn:

15. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,680 / 2 / -0
    ^^^ Saw this one coming a mile away. :)

16. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,938 / 1 / -0
    [​IMG]

17. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reminder Dave, I would hate to have walked out to the parking lot looking for Yertle. You would think that I would learn that because I don't currently own a MINI that I can't have an opinion or participate in conversations. By that logic, Dave shouldn't be able to post about anything but R53s, the Dragon, and the Church of RMW.....

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    It is now time for y'all to sheath those daggers.

On topic, I still have not heard back from others I reached out. For some odd reason they are busy selling cars.

19. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,680 / 2 / -0
    :popcorn:

20. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^ :lol::lol::lol: Check your mail because you have a PM.

This thread is not about you or I or should I say us current MINI owners and those that are sold theirs for a VW. :ihih:

As I said in my PM to you, I do not hide behind a keyboard and talk BS.

I am always available all week at the Dragon for anyone that wants to talk face to face or man to man. For the record 6 years running and NOT ONE keyboard tough guy has shown up. :lol: Yeah it gets real when you have to talk some one face to face.

Need the address? It's Cabin 485