3rd Gen F56 Cooper S F56 Production Issue: No Black/White Roof

Discussion in '3rd Generation: 2014+ F54, F55, F56, F57, F60' started by KnottyPine, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    So here is more info.

MINI is in the process of expanding the paint area of the Oxford factory. Due to that currently there will be MINIs with matching body and roof colors.

The timeframe is in flux depending on how much of the work is completed on the expansion. As of today, and this is subject to change and has changed a few times already, orders for June 2014 production will have the option of the different colors roof. However, this could be moved forward or back as the work in the plant progresses.

So, yes, the report that only monochrome cars are being built is correct. Now we know why too.

Remember too that the date when contrasting roofs is currently fungible.

I cannot divulge my source, but I trust that person to be supplying accurate information.

2. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Wow. Way off topic as usual with some threads here. Knottypine I hope you get the info needed so that you can order your Mini with the color options you desire.
    Never mind the children above. It is a"normal" issue within m/a. So normal that you get used to it!
    Good luck with your F56 order.

3. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Overall, it is a sad situation....
    Both with mini's rollout issues....
    And future mini owners who have proven themselves as overly OCD...
    Ever wonder if half the issues reported by owners are the result of a OCD owner who could never be made happy....let's face it...some folks get kinda crazy...especially when they feel they have spent a few to many $$ to get the car they want....
    The old...they bought a car they really cannot afford...so the thought of ANYTHING EVER HAPPENING out of warrenty freaks them out...think this MIGHT be the bigger underlining issue for mini...they have gotten folks to spend a few more $$ than they feel the car is worth...so will never be happy...
    On a side note....anybody know any may midget (er mini) tranny stripper hookers at the dragon? I have a cabin number...485!! Just kidding!!

4. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Well, he did say "anyone" for some "man to man".

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Sorry fellas that's Xieks cabin not mine. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

6. KnottyPine

KnottyPine New Member

Apr 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the update nathan. I'll edit the original post to reflect the most current "answer" to this situation. Like I said, I made this thread to get a clear answer and for all prospective buyers.

Another ridiculous reply that probably doesn't deserve a response, but why not.

How many MINIs are on the road without a contrasting roof? 10%? 5%? Less than 1%? Wanting a contrasting roof is hardly being OCD, it's choosing the most basic of options the same way as almost every MINI buyer ever.

(Cue the F56 bashers chiming in with "who cares, the F56 isn't even a MINI! They should be banned from having a contrasting roof!")

Or maybe it's OCD for wanting to order early in the model production run. I'm sure MINI would be glad to be rid of the nuisances so that we can all order 3-24 months after release as God intended. :rolleyes:

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,938 / 1 / -0
    Each generation of Mini / MINI.... Have had critics of the next generation...

Not a big deal....

It just proves each generation is supported by fanatics that think their generation is the best....

They are most certainly allowed to be wrong....:D

8. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    I was not saying WANTING A CONTRASTING ROOF IS OCD, but simply stating that many cars (even mini's in the past) have limited options at launch.......the fact there is about a month that it is not an option...and it leads to do much consternation....nearly like mini owners are entitled to it...personally I think it is a mini heritage item...like center speedo (I did not get it, I got a chrono pack) and center window switches....
    BMW made a business descension to not have the roof for a month...maybe to up the production speed through the paint department to maximize cars sold....maybe to get mini folks who waited and did not preorder a fit...who knows....simple fact is you can wait to order or get a different car...
    Back when I ordered mine, the dark headliner was on and off again....I made a choice and ordered WHEN I did rather than wait and hope it came back....
    Yes, as consumers we must make choices.....as does BMW management....

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,966 / 10 / -3
    #49 MCS02, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    Boy has this got off the rails. Its been a long week and its time to blow off some stem.
    I think its silly that you can't get a white/black roof, BMW should have done a better job planing.
    Given the amount of tech and the new power plants I would be inclined to let them work out the bugs. But I understand not wanting to wait. My MINI is a very early 02, one of the first sold in my town.

As for bashing. Most is done in good fun. I am starting to feel like if you give a negative opinion your accused of bashing. I can't help it my MINI is better than everyone else's.:devil:

Also if your new don't let the squabbling put you off. We are helpful and friendly. Just some time we have difference of opinion. Thats ok.

Lets all put on our big boy pants. Its a car and just because it's not what I want to buy doesn't mean I'm not happy for those that like it. Show me the car you love and Ill get it.

10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    AMEN, and for all the people on this site no matter what generation MINI you have or are going to buy quit being a bunch of babies and grow a set. It's a web forum open to different opinions of the cars we all own.

FYI first gen owner had to also put up with the same crap from other car owners with the whole "cute girl car", how much Gold do you have in the trunk? Oh and less not forget the classic mini owners that do not like any BMW MINI.

11. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Amen.....
    If you like or love a particular MINI, BUY IT.....
    We will never tell you not too....cars are like women...you get what you like (or what you can afford-aka settle!!). But when you find your soulmate....life is great!!

12. vhines

vhines New Member

Apr 24, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i ordered my mini on April 7 and they told me that i would probably get the car in 3 to 4 months! they told me that there was a delay in the contrasting roof and the HK sound system. I ordered the fully loaded package.
    you would think that this would not be an issue considering how long it took them to even release the 2014. you would think they would be ready for anything!
    thanks for the info, i am keeping my fingers crossed that they resolve the issues earlier then anticipated so i can have my car:)

has anyone else ordered theirs in the last 3 weeks?

13. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to M/A the FUN Mini site. :Thumbsup:

14. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011