2nd Gen R57 Convertible Factory Alarm vs Aftermarket

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Denzien, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    The typical thief doesn't know if when opening the door the action will set off the alarm. I would think their mental process is to slit the top to gain entry for fear of setting off the alarm that might not even be there. But who knows what's going through the the minds of glue sniffin, coke snortin, methanoids anyway? The garage is the best alarm.

2. Denzien

Denzien New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Software Developer
    Round Rock, TX
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I'll be sure to bring my garage with me wherever I go - Jetsons style

;)

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yeah back in the early 90's I was working as a tech installing car alarms stereos and remote starters. Anyhow I came back from Lunch early because my afternoon appt was early. I parked my car right out infront of our shop and left my windows down because it was Summer and we are in a remote part of the complex. AnyhowI forgot my old Motorola gray brick like flip phone on my passengers seat by mistake.

So I pull this guys car into the shop and we go over his install. As our customer and his buddy are leaving the shop the "Other Guy" reaches in my car and takes my phone out of my car and the Clifford alarm with Prox sensor went nuts with the air horns blasting. :lol: He reached in the window and did not even open the door.

Our customer jumped when the horns went off and saw what his buddy did / was doing and I came running right out and was like WTF! His buddy was like "Really your going to steal a phone from the shop and the guy that is putting in my car alarm!" We called the Police and he was arrested and charged. Our customer was really embarrassed about his "buddy" and told the cops he saw him do it.

Anyhow you have to be there when the alarm goes off or care that the alram is goes off.

4. Denzien

Denzien New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Software Developer
    Round Rock, TX
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I would also think an alarm would reduce the amount of time a casual thief would feel comfortable spending near a car whose alarm was blaring. Even if people 'ignore' car alarms, they still look. I know I do.

Dave: do you recommend Clifford alarms?

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I don't even bother looking anymore. So often the alarms in cars out in front of the house here go off it's become a joke. Funny how the most run down mis-matched bumper, peeling paint Honda and Eclipse in the neighborhood have alarms. The Audi, MINIs and others of that ilk do not.

Since I park on the street in a high traffic area I try to park under a streetlight. Keep nothing in the car, not even a penny in a visible bin. Only thing you see is a pack of gum.

6. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #26 Firebro17, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
    You could look into the LoJack security system. My son has one on his Chevy diesel and it seemed like a good choice for all it offered the end user.

7. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Sure is... The keys are always on the console and I don't hav'ta worry about a broken window or door lock. :lol:

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Clifford makes great alarms or well they did. I am not 100% anymore I got out of the business and jumped into computers and dabble in modding my own car.

If you are looking for a good car alarm I would google and check out ones with solid reputations and the features you want. Most reputable shops in your area will push you to the brand they sell so go to a few shops and get the info and research at home.

Oh most all modern alarms have code switching for the fobs so make sure they have that. Real cost is about $75-100 for an alarm and another 25-$50 for remote starter. The real cost is the labor because installing them takes time is a PITA in modern cars. If the installer is good they will solders all connections and wrap them so you will never know where he was.

One other good tip. Do Not stick alarm or audio decals on your car. You are teasing the thief by telling them what is in your car and how it is protected.

The first step at getting around any alarm is knowing what kind of alarm it is. Based on that information they can be defeated rather quickly if you know what you are doing.

One example from back in the day was when people were stealing corvettes. All the thief did was drill a small hole in the side of the car and drain the battery. Once it was dead they would slimjim the door disable the alarm and Hotwire and jump box the car and drive away. I installed many corvette alarms with small stand alone battery backups back in the day.

We had a few customers come back and say that the alarm setup we did saved thier car from this type of theft.

9. Denzien

Denzien New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Software Developer
    Round Rock, TX
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    So - what if I get one kind of alarm installed, but then put a sticker on my window for a completely different type of alarm?

:crazy:

10. Denzien

Denzien New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Software Developer
    Round Rock, TX
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I'm betting the Audi, MINIs, etc have comprehensive...and the owners have the means to replace the vehicle. Just a guess.

11. zinvestor

zinvestor Active Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Mfg Systems Consultant
    Chicagoland
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Sorry I'm so late, didn't see the thread before. On a Cabrio, the factory alarm is a joke, The sensors high at the rear can't be installed, its a ragtop. Consequently only the area below the beltline is alarmed.

As others have said, it is not much of a deterrent as everyone knows MINIs are tough to take, and smash and grab will do it anyway.