1st Gen R53 Cooper S Faulty positive battery cable

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Mini_Chan, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Mini_Chan

Mini_Chan New Member

Oct 11, 2010
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone, so last week I brought my car to the dealership because my airbag light the one in the center speedo was on. I figure it was a wiring harness and it would be taken care of under the warranty. However, after the diagnostic test, they said I have a faulty positive battery cable. Is this part important? Sometimes when I turn on my car, the light goes off then on. The dealership is asking for $965 to fix it. They said its a bunch of computer work. I don't know is this a common problem with MINI's. My car is an 04 MCS. They also said my wheel bearings needed to be changed because there was a noise coming from the front driver's side wheel, but it turned out to be a loose lug nut. So any idea's on what to do with the airbag light? Is there a way to turn it off because its kind of an eye sore.

2. beaner

beaner New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Was the car in an accident that caused the airbag to be deployed? This is really the only reason that the cable could be "bad". There is a device in the cable that blows when the airbag deploys, cutting power to everything but lights and hazard lights. BMW sell a repair kit now. This eliminates replacing the entire cable. MINI doesn't have such a kit, but the BMW one can be made to work correctly.

3. gbmini

gbmini New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Surely if the battery cable was damaged, you would not have enough power to turn over the starter motor?

4. Tron Chief

Tron Chief "Need More Coffee"
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Maintenance Supervisor Del Monte, retired 30 year
    Lemoore California
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    A friend has a 2006 late model and the positive wire was rubbed possibly by a large object (bowling ball) being carried in the boot. The wire shorted to the body below the trim panel about 8 inches to the drivers side of the boot latch causing a small electrical fire until the wires from the airbag sensor to the battery terminal shorted together indicating that the car had been in an accident and exploded the charge that is attached to the positive cable going to the battery. The cable on the 06 and below goes from the battery to the fuse block beside the air box in the bonnet. His was unique in that he had no indication a group of Mini's had gone out for dinner and his car would not start also had that burnt electrical smell. Attempts to jump start did nothing and then we started digging. Eastbay Mini did the repair do to the car being under warrantee but this might be worthy of looking at.

5. Alan

Alan Active Member

May 6, 2009
    retired
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    I had this same symptom (airbag light) with same remedy (replace positive battery cable from engine bay to battery box). It was done twice before they got it right. Fortunately both times under warranty on my 2003 S.

6. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
  7. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    The exact reason why EVERY Mini owner should have a relationship with a Mini Centric shop!!! Big $$ saving for many things, better schedulng Kuching the time, and sometimes good/great advise!!

8. Mini_Chan

Mini_Chan New Member

Oct 11, 2010
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    could it be possible the light turned on because the tiny plug on the right side of the battery came out? my battery is not fastened into the box like it should be, because the bolt does not tighten. i think its because my battery is moving around that has caused the light to come on

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Get that bolt fixed, you don't want the battery bouncing around back there. For one it's defiantly not good for the plates in the battery. After awhile you're going to wear a hole through the case and start leaking acid all over the place.

So, did the plug come out? If so, plug it back in. Sounds like this bolt is the root of your problems....... maybe.

10. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I think the tiny plug on the side of the battery is the vent. Not sure if that would cause issues, pretty sure it wouldn't.

11. beaner

beaner New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    OP: air bag deployed? Other than this, secure the battery and connect the vent, both are unrelated to your issue, however.