FBI vs. Apple - Privacy vs. Safety?

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by BruceK, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    That's already been done in fact.

The 5s was the first phone to have a secure fingerprint scanner from Apple. The encryption key is stored in a "secure enclave" in a chip on the logic board. There is no force on Earth that can break that encryption at this time.

The phone that the FBI wants cracked is not protected by a thumbprint scanner, only a passcode that is set to wipe the phone after 10 failed attempts. It's a 5c model.

The thinking is that the security code could be bypassed by creating a version of iOS that loads in a different sequence - one that skips the passcode check.

It's not a matter of making a key, per se, it's a matter of building a new OS from the ground up that would preserve the contents of the phone while ignoring or overwriting the passcode. Not an easy prospect.

If the phone were a 5S, 6, or 6S then the FBI would be S.O.L. because those have hardware based encryption. Though, I suppose they could just take the dead guy's thumb and place it on the scanner, though I'm not sure it would work without a pulse.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    If they would have just unlock the DEAD person phone and not make a big effing deal about it none of us would know anything about it now.

I am an Apple fan and have many Apple toys but this is about unlocking ONE DEAD TERRORIST iPhone.

Who really cares?

3. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Katie Benner and Matt Apuzzo, reporting for the NYT on whether the FBI’s request for Apple to unlock the San Bernardino shooter’s iPhone will open the door to more such requests:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/23/technology/apple-unlock-iphone-san-bernardino.html?_r=0

4. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    From the Wall Street Journal.

5. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    #25 ZippyNH, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    If it was only that simple....
    Think months after the guy is dead any useful info is there....no..
    But the FBI can use the case to make public sentiment get Apple to do it...and set a precedent... That what this is about..
    It's a slippery slope....and the FBI is the man at the top trying to push Apple....
    Generally I am like ****** the killer.....but any info he used on the phone was transmitted and used...it is available as meta data.....heck they DESTROYED their personal phones...but not the work phone...why...nothing to hide...the AGREED TO MONITORING BY THEOR EMPLOYER...those guys were killers, but not stupid....they had other phones they smashed....
    RIGHT NOW you trust our government to do the right thing....many in other places don't.... And depending on the future political situation....maybe you will not trust out government in the future....
    Let's face it...it has done bad things in the past when we trusted it more...giving random folks LSD, Taking pictures of demonstraors, secret files, etc....and that was YEARS AGO...ever wonder what they will do with a "golden key"?
    As a pilot that flew many senator's and members of the federal reserve around, I can say they were paranoid enough about monitoring that they " borrowed" my personal cell on many occasions, and they told me if anything ever came up,let them know....they know folks can Monitor their activities.... Worried about blackmail from their own government? Perhaps....
    Think about how a sitting politicians using the NSA could blackmail others.....RAM anything through....just a thought... And we wonder how such crazy crap is agreeed too and "crazy" laws pass....

6. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    But what about used phones? People selling phones from their "personal collections" at phone shows with no background checks. POTUS would have to make an executive order banning people from selling phones to each other.

There's a whole can of worms when you want to start regulating who can buy phones and who can't.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Apple should just take the phone, Unlock it and provide the data and NEVER give the government the "Golden Key".

I think a lot of peoples opinions would change if their family had someone killed by these DEAD TERRORIST.

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Wait a minute.... Doesn't the NSA have that big place out west that records every phone call everyone makes? They already have the info they want..

Ah carp... I forgot... The NSA and the FBI don't work together... It's easier for the FBI to go after Apple than the NSA...:rolleyes:

This place in Utah...

[​IMG]

9. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    It isn't about only one phone. Read the quotes I posted above. It's not a simple issue, and simplifying it doesn't help anyone, even the victim's families.

But if people are fine with the gonvernement snooping in on everything we do, by all means, simplify it.

I mean if we don't have anything to hide, we don't need privacy, right?

Just like if we don't have anything to say, we don't need free speech. ;)

10. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    What you posted above about government incompetence sounds very plausible (and likely too), but I haven't seen that covered in any of the news I've read on this matter. Where did you learn it?

11. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
  12. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    oops, multiple posts

13. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    oops, multiple posts

14. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    oops, multiple posts

15. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    STOP that!:D

16. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    He's been hacked!!

17. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    Me thinks Tim Cook's big concern is PR and making money for his company.

What he should fear is family members of people killed by terrorists on the

news 24/7 screaming that because of his actions their loved ones are now

dead. And I agree with Dave.

18. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Tim cooks interest is making money....for the owners of the company...the stock holders....have a retirement account? Apple is Americas largest company....(remember GM saying what's good for GM is good for America in the 60's?) ...destroy Apple....and 75% of their customers move on to non US company's... Remember WASHONGTON HATES AMERICA.... Remember the "sorry" tour and snti America exceptionalism statements....Apple is an exceptional American company... It MUST BE TAKEN DOWN.... according to certain folks anyway...they are evil... Me, I don't use Apple products, but am happy to see them succede.

19. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    Lots of good valid points have been made but when or where do you draw the line at what freedoms we will give up or should give up to maintain our basic rights ?? Do we give up rights every time something bad happens and if so how long will it be before we are not the nation of freedoms we think we are ??

20. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    The Muslims hate the West because of our freedoms....
    By making us give up our freedoms to be "more safe" they have won