FBI vs. Apple - Privacy vs. Safety?

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by BruceK, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    How does a DEAD person have any rights is the first question.

2. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    This whole thing is just a huge PR campaign to make the masses (and the bad guys) believe that government agencies are inept and can't hack these things. it also is tedious to do it without getting an easy back door, so they just went public with this. wonder why...

And Apple gets free PR to sell products in markets like China where encryption and privacy from snooping agencies is highly desirable. A win win for both sides, and the media took the bait and ran with it, because it is more interesting to follow how a company that harbors billions of dollars of profits offshore fights against the "evil government trying to invade our privacy" than to pay attention to what Edward Snowden has to say about the issue

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    There is NOTHING ON THE PHOINE. They had two other phones they destroyed, those phones probably had something on them. But it does not matter. I will have to respectfully disagree that this is a PR stunt. It is not.
    With freedom comes no guarantee of safety. As a matter of fact freedom brings danger. There are safer places but there is very little freedom. Chose what you want freedom or a guaranty of safety you don't get both. As for those that say I would feel different if it was one of my loved ones I would not.

Evil happens when good people do nothing. This country is turning into a country of sheep. Its time we take personal responsibility for our safety. Several times the courts have found the police are not responsible for protecting you, that is up to you. In just about every case of terrorism we knew the people were bad but did nothing. I do not think the government is bad. I believe in the men and women that work for the FBI and other agencies. They rase their hand and say they will run to the gun fire when all are running away. They are a our sheep dogs and deserve our respect. But that does not mean I roll over and give up freedom to make their job easer. You want this to stop? Then don't stand by when something bad is happening. I don't mean be a vigilante. But help how ever you can when a fellow american is in trouble. We can be strong without giving up our freedoms. This is about more then unlocking a phone

Live free, Live brave!

4. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    It isn't about his rights, it's about ours.

5. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    But you are alive and this is about a DEAD persons phone.

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    He had separate phones... A work phone owned by the local government and some personal phones. He destroyed his personal but not the government owned phone. I wonder why the government phone was left untouched... Where would he put info he wouldn't want the authorities to get? I think the government phone will show calls to Jack in the Box, "Weather Bug" and Yelp apps.....

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I hope it shows he called the FBI to warn them.

8. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
  9. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I have a great idea!

Let's get rid of all cell phones. :rolleyes:

11. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  12. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    What? Get rid of the GPS tracking devise with a microphone and a camera that we all carry around and PAY FOR? Just think of how much more the NSA/FBI would need to spend to collect the same data!!! Remember, by law all new cell phones sold since about my old motoroloa star-tac had to have GPS due to "safety" concerns.....:eek6:
    The beauty of the cell phone...people are willingly tracked, they keep the battery charged, and they pay for it!! THAT IS PURE GENIUS!!:cornut:
    Heck...folks feel stress if they leave it at home, or their battery even goes low!!:D JUST THINK...the person yu are tracking charges the battery in the devise you use to track and spy on them!! Pure GENIUS!!:Thumbsup:

This whole argument over hacking a phone makes me laugh....there is so much data for governments to collect and process....be it live data from an amazon-echo, a smart home device, or even just meta data....why worry about a cell? Any data on the phone was transmitted over the airwaves to get it there....so nothing is to be learned...heck...all the data is on the NSA's computers out in Utah.....

The real argument is do we want the government to ever be all knowing, and all powerful, like in 1984....think in many ways we have surpassed George Orwell's visions.... The only thing protecting us are a few good folks in government that are dedicated to doing the right thing, even if it ends up being in what might be the wrong way....look at the documents smuggled out of the NSA and released by Snowdon... Even though much of the data was several YEARS out of date, it stunned folks...think what they can do now.