1st Gen R53 Cooper S Feel the POWER in the heat of the day....

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Thumper460, Jun 30, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Water / Meth.. the basic truth...!! YES.. there are almost a bazillion threads on the stuff..... BUT....

As most know I overheated my car on the way to a few street engagements. The result was a cracked cylinder head, and probably some melted sensors. Anyway it was a great time to upgrade the NEW Head with a few more cuts and mods.

Yesterday I made a run to Tampa ( 280 miles one way) it was in the high 90's and the traffic was light ( meaning good high speed runs were called for..lol) I will push the revs ( if clear) when getting on the freeways.. usually up to 7800 revs in third. Well on the way down, the car felt "OK". but at high revs it was falling off.. SOP was amazing. I figured it was the temporarily installed OEM camshaft, and of course the lack of w/m. ( seems they are out of methanol here in Jax at the local speed and performance shops. so the tank was empty)

On the return trip I said screw it.. where is that -25* windshield washer fluid?? Walmart!! Rocking!!

OMG-WTF!! On the return trip ( still in the high 95's out side) on the same roads and speeds.... it was a whole new power level!! SOP was Rocking!! I have had w/m as the first mod on my 06. I guess it was the time it was down and me not driving it... but this little car flat rocks. Pulling on the interstate now.. SWEEET!! 7800 revs in third is ruffly 100+ and the pull NOW is strong till I move the shifter ( or bounce the rev limiter).

Again... here in the heat of the day, it WORKS!! Hell no.... It PHUQUING WORKS!!

Keep in mind I have OEM injectors, OEM map, and this time OEM Camshaft!! SOP was flat butt wild!! I will say again..... if you dont use W/M you are loosing a A LOT of fun!! ( and safety)

Just saying...............................

Thumper.

( now back to camshaft evals...lol)

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #2 Dave.0, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
    I would never use wiper fluid ever. I know it contains Methenol but the other things /crap in the blue washer fluid will clog things up,when they dry. You may want to drain that crap out and go by some real meth. Glad you had fun today but I hope you did not mess something up.

I have been running meth all year round for 5 years now and only use VP M-1 meth.
    Today in PA it was over 100 outside for the 4th day now and it is above 80% more like 90% humidity. Meth does a car good and it's even better when you are tuned for it with proper BVH, CAM, injectors.....ect.

3. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    The wiper fluid is just for emergencies... and Over the few times I have had to use it.. there has been not one issue. Most of the time I have a supplier for meth... as said, they were out. As for the dye drying.. back in the DAY they used to do that to gasoline ( red). I have yet to get any wiper fluid that was dirty and plugged my nozzle... but it is good to know.

Just saying........................

Thumper

4. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Stock up on Meth and you will never run out of Meth.

5. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    LOL... this is going NO Where!! I do purchase in 5 gallon drums, and when it is close to being gone, I do get more!! WTF!! maybe you should re read the part where I said they are OUR here in my area!!
    The Key being get and use water-meth!! No tune needed!! And IF you run out, Like 10 Gallons used on the Dragon.. or 5 gallons used on some aggressive road trips... there is always a back up..-25-30 * windshield washer fluid. Geeesh..

Just saying........................

Thumper

6. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I would just not drive my car without pure meth. Wiper juice is never going in my meth tank.

7. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Setup/details on your setups?

I am looking at getting into the same mod.

I had water/meth on my turbo miata, nozzled right into the charge pipe before the throttle body, activated thru megasquirt on a WOT switch. DID WONDERS for IAT! 10 degrees or more below ambient at full boost! I used convenient store brands as well as wal mart brand washer fluids. My shop orders pure methanol by the 5 gallon buckets because we mix our own washer fluid there! If I get a hand on some extras I might be inclined to share it in return for some setup help ;)

8. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Getting methanol is usually easy, there isnt any reason to boot leg it. Just when they are out.. they are out! and the washer fluid is the 'easy-peasy' as the back up.

Just saying.....................

Thumper

PS: look into 'Snow Performance", or "Devils own"....systems

9. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Here is you one stop shop for everything you need to add Meth to a Mini from someone that knows what they are doing and has been doing it for a long time.

Howerton Engineering, LLC – MINI

Jeff Howerton wrote this article for the Motoring Alliance Library.

http://www.motoringalliance.com/library/theory-and-practice-22/an-introduction-to-wateralcohol-injection-systems-19/#axzz1v23JACpI

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Give it a rest...

sheesh.

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I am providing useful information.

I am not cleaning my valves with blue washer fluid. :idea:

12. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Hey Dave, that first link no-worky.

13. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  14. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    I HAVE used washer fluid in the past... Never again will I make that mistake!

While I was swaping my S/C out to the Sprintex, There was blue/green everywhere along with white crusties in some of the seams of things. At the time I attributed this to the oil from the broken seals in the stock S/C, along with the washer fluid. So I started using different mixes... Without the blue.

Denatured alcohol is a far better choice than Blue juce IMO. For one its pure with no additives other than pure water. You do need to dilute it down quite a bit though, until it looses it's flamibility, or you are just adding more fuel.

Just using plain distilled water is also an option in a pinch. It still has the cooling properties, just not the added vaporization you get from having it mixed with a thinner liquid. Or the added octaine of the added clean fuel.

If you really want to see what washer fluid is putting into your engine... Put a cup of Blue (Any brand you want) into a smooth shiny bowl (Like a dog dish) set it out in the sun and let it evaporate. Once its gone you will see all the CRUD they add to it. That crud is just what you DONT want in your engine... Unless you like the idea of possible long term effects.:fingerscrossed:

15. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Good point.. However if there is a need dont use the blue stuff!! I used the -25* gold stuff!! LOL

It is amazing how the thread got into what to use... Like I said, the fun is in the w/m and add'l power from it. What ever you use ..... yes??

Oh... and on the bottle ( Nitrous) , it just gets better!!

Just saying.................................

(W/M on a supercharger or any boosted engine is a cheap safe HP gain.. rocking!!)

Thumper

16. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Hey Thumper, didn't you overheat your car and crack that "custom" head a little while ago?

YES

Didn't you also brake the O ring on your MAP sensor and have all kinds of vacuum leaks after you put it back together?

YES

I don't think this make me the "Wanker" but you should try looking in the mirror.

Have fun with your nitrous kit but real built motors don't need it.

17. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Think he might of been talking to me too Dave... Its ok though the name suits.:Thumbsup:

I would still use rubbing alcohol and water before I use washer fluid again.

Glad it really dosent matter to you when expensive stuff breaks Thumper... Just sayin'.

18. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Yep.. my t-stat didnt open and I boiled my oil!! Cracked my cylinder head, and messed up a few sensors. I put this info out as to the importance of keeping up on maintenance and recommended coolant changes. You two guys know all this.. as well as most of the people that read mini sites. Just letting people know to stay up on maintenance.

As to the comments I made on another site concerning 'wankers' the people that I mentioned , seemed to fall right in the description.

If Nate allows this to stay up.... This post was about the benefits of water -meth, and how it helps performance in the heat of the day. This post was about IF you run out of the stuff .. you can substitute with -25/-30* windshield washer fluid. ( common practice also)

Then the hostile bit started ... just go back and read this thread. It must really be great to spend money to keep all pristine and fresh, but there are always times when the 'perfect ' stuff is gone and there has to be a substitute made. Although that was not my intention, I did show there was a substitute. That's is all...

Thanks for all the PMs and emails, glad I could help with some water-meth questions..

Just saying.............................

Thumper

19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    No need to get all hostile about this stuff.

Heads crack, ever read my long thread about the latest rebuild. Yep, the head had cracks and it was not a Thumper Head. Happens to many different heads when you try and go for it all.

Lets stick to facts and keep it friendly. It can be done.

20. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I was not being hostile. I was stating my opinion which is also based on facts.

I would never put any windshield washer fluid, blue or gold in a meth system. The other things in washer fluid will cause issues later. (See my first reply)

I would think someone that makes and sells custom heads and has the worlds FIRST quickest & fastest Mini and has and talks so much about custom CAMs would know this.

I also find it funny that the guy that is pushing performance car parts for the Mini blew up / (cracked head) his own car because he did not do the basic maintainance. Your words not mine.

(Thanks for making my points for me)