Feeler: BSG's Private Reserve Event

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon 10 (May 2 - 6, 2012) - TN / NC' started by BrewSwapGuy, Jan 12, 2012.

1. BrewSwapGuy

BrewSwapGuy New Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hello all,

I'll be returning to the Dragon for the first time since 2006 and as you may expect I will be bringing enormous amounts of beer with me. Chad and Detroit Tuned have done a great job with the Brew Swap since I turned it over and I will be attending the Brew Swap this year.

But I see an opportunity here. When I first did the Brew Swap my beer palate was quite bland. I was just getting into microbrews and they were just catching on. When I come to the Brew Swap this year my intent is to swap out some good West Coast beer for some East Coast/Mid-West beer I can't obtain. While that's good it won't leave me time to really taste some great/limited beers and talk about what makes them great. So here's an idea...

I'm thinking of hosting an invite only event of 30-40 people where we will be tasting, not swapping, special beers. I envision the attendees bringing beers that are either:

A. Limited runs
    B. Seasonal and not easy to find
    C. Special in some other way

For example, I have set aside for this event five 22oz bottles.
    1. 2011 Stone Double Bastard
    2. 15th Anniversary Stone Escondidian Imperial Black IPA
    3. Rouge Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Syrup Ale
    4. 11.11.11. Vertical Epic from Stone Brewing
    5. Stone's Belgian Anise Imperial Russian Stout Odd Year Release (Unlike Stone's usual IRS they did something "odd" for 2011 and added in a belgian yeast strain)

Beers 1 and 4 will be very hard to find come May and many won't ever be able to find it where they are. #3 was a limited run from what I can tell so this is even harder to find. #2 is the best beer Stone has ever made and I'm not sure where their production is on this. It's not done but I can't get anymore locally.

This posting is to see if there are even enough people interested in this event. If I see the interest I'll open up the requests for invitations. Be prepared to provide an idea of what you'll bring although you can hunt between now and then for more or swap out. I just want to make sure we get people bringing good stuff. As you no doubt figured out single 22oz bottles will provide at most 22 samples to go around. So not everyone will get to sample every beer. And some will likely bring 12oz bottles of something special further reducing sample size.

I'm rambling at this point. If there's interest I'll find a place for this to happen and a good time will be had by all. If there isn't enough interest I'll either drink my savings listed above or bring them to the Brew Swap to trade out although you can bet it won't be 1 to 1.

Post if you are interested.

Matt

2. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I would love to participate! I have been to all the brew swaps since you stopped coming, and the quality of the beer has been improving. Stoner is one of my favorite breweries. I am hosting the Thursday Brewery drive, and the brewer told me he would like to do an event with food at Fontana. The More Beer The Better! If you put this together I could bring my all-time favorite Tupper’s Hop Pocket. It is triple hopped and fits in with Elegant Bastard, and Ruinition.

3. BrewSwapGuy

BrewSwapGuy New Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Can I be a snob Carl and correct you that it's "Stone", not Stoner and "Arrogant" Bastard not Elegant. :)

I wouldn't mind a food tie in if it makes sense and is possible. Do you want to talk about how we can do this? Do you think that Brewer would be open to other beers besides his at the event he was thinking about?

4. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    My wife and I would be in for this and will bring some micro brews...

5. BrewSwapGuy

BrewSwapGuy New Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Any ideas on what you could bring? Remember that we're looking for special beers here...not just microbrews.

6. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    No haven't been to the restaurant lately so I will have to get back with you

7. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I mentioned the brewery drive and Brewer’s suggestion as other beer related activities that could come together. He is looking for someone who wants to cook. I am staying in the lodge and am not a good cook. However I do enjoy drinking beer with or without food.

8. BrewSwapGuy

BrewSwapGuy New Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0