Fiat 500 aims at MINI sales volume..

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by Dr Obnxs, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    some more news from Wards.... Select Chrysler dealers are getting a deep look at the new Fiat 500 for the US. US based changed include the additioin of cruise control! (Lazy Americans...) We're looking at a 6 speed manual and some form of Automatic, details sketchy here...

[​IMG]

MINI gets lots of mention, as well as Frank S for design input!

More details here.

Matt

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I really don't see this car as a threat to the core of MINIs customers, but there are a lot of consumers out there who will only look at the fact that it's small, gets good mileage and is priced about the same.

While I like the looks and all, I don't see me making the change....

I also don't see the dealers who have to build a separate showroom for this car only as being able to sell enough of them to keep the doors open, they need other products too. Most MINI dealers (if not all?) were aligned with BMW stores when they started selling MINIs in 2002. I think these Chrysler dealers are in for a tough road, at least for the first year or two.

Unless gasoline goes to $4/gallon or higher, then they won't be able to build enough of them!

3. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If I were single or kidless

a 500 Abarth would be on the short list..... Depending on price and the like. but with a family now, I've already got the impracticle family car or two... Not enough room in the stable.

If the base version comes in cheap enough, this would be great for college students or those who live in cities that need or want a car...

I wish them well, cause I want the 500, and some of the Alfas, to be available here.

Matt

4. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you--if the 500 is reasonably priced, I think it'll hit a niche.

And while the base 500 may only be slightly cross-shopped with the MINI core, I suspect the Abarth will more directly appeal to the MINI core customers. I've been wanting to try one out since ever since the Top Gear guys got ahold of one, and compared it favorably to the MINI. Not to surprising, given who was involved in the development.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [shameless_plug] Look for another project from the minds of Motoring Alliance to be opening soon... Fiat500Talk.com [/shameless_plug]

6. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Will the "minds of NAM" (that might be an oxymoron) be opening a competing one?

"FiatsewingTalk.com", coming soon, with brightly flashing IB banners, sponsored by multiple male enhancement medications and femanine hygiene products...

7. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    The 500 will wind up being priced like a premium compact... much like the Cooper model, I'd bet. It doesn't have the handling of a MINI, but it is fuel efficient and the interior design is quiet stunning... reminds me of when the MINI was launched... modern retro with quality materials.

It will be more expensive than the Honda Fit category, but will probably compete with the Cooper pretty well, with an added boost from being new to the US (like driving a MINI in the US in 2002). I've seen quite a few and they are fun, stylish cars.

The Abarth division of Fiat is known for some crazy stuff. Is the engine cover not allowing enough air to flow and cool the hyped-up engine we stuffed in there? Fine... throw the cover away! They take the JCW approach to ramping up power, handling and performance but they throw out the rule book on moderating their design. I'd bet the Fiat 500 Abarth would be a lot of fun to drive.

8. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Predicted reply from NAM: "Your momma is an oxymoron!" :lol:

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The modus operandi over at Internet Brands seems to be to not create anything but to purchase existing sites once they have reached a metric they think can bring in enough advertising money. I doubt they will create but look to purchase. I'm working on slowly building my own little network, so before you ask, they would have to toss very silly money at me. Think 1m+.

10. leicaguy

leicaguy New Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Medical Tech
    Catawba (near Roanoke), VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I welcome all who want to compete with MINI. I would be happy to see an all out competition in the making of smaller, fuel efficient, well built, sporty cars. Much better that in past years when it seems everyone was trying to be bigger and more obnoxious than the next guy.

11. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Some more news...

pricing is leaking out... $16k-$19k for non Abarth. Also, dealers don't have to start with a separate facility, but will be asked to grow into separate facilities as Fiat builds more cars for the US market.

Matt

12. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    If I didn't already have a clubman I loved, I would be lining up for one of these:Thumbsup:

13. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Fiat and Abarth have a wonderful heritage that goes back just like Mini and JCW. I'd like to see some rivalry develop between Fiat and MINI. The outcome would be good for both.
    Bring It On. :)

14. ftttupwmcs

ftttupwmcs New Member

May 17, 2010
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpAFi9nIJVQ]YouTube - Top Gear Fiat 500 Abarth SS[/ame] <-----After watching this episode of Top Gear when it was originally aired in the US, I've been waiting impatiently to check these out. I got to see them in the UK last year but I didn't get to do anything but look in the windows. I can only hope this car and others like it make MINI even better. I love competition!

15. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    We'll see

where the ess ess comes out in cost. If it's at $25k or less, it should be a hit!

Matt