Most liked posts in thread: Fiat 500, no threat at all

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  2. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    The was one Fiesta there that I really liked. Some guy named Ken put his name and a bunch of stickers on it.:smilewinkgrin:

3. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Not bad at all, but what's up with the speedo being behind the steering wheel? That will never catch on. :D

Jim

4. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Sooo....
    At least to me.....
    The front headlights look slightly MINI.
    The tail lights look slightly MINI.
    The rear bumper looks slightly MINI in a JCW sort of way.
    I don't see any easy access to strut tower tops for easy camber adjustments.
    Looks like they left a lot of space for a BBK. Hmmmm Abarth up grade?
    And the battery looks huge next to the engine.

Interesting engine technology....

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    What's the deal with the center stack and the shifter? I am pretty sure I've seen that in a Honda Odyssey?

6. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    MM - that engine technology is wicked cool and while everything looks kinda Mini in pictures when you touch it you feel the difference. I just want to know if they drove a different vehicle from what I sat in at the auto show because what I saw just screamed cheap.

7. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    #46 Metalman, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
    Yeah....
    I just went back and covered up the top half of the front bumper.
    It screams MINI to me also.

So they maybe took a whole bunch of MINI design cue's, and blended them together?

Hmmmmm......:sosp:

I also don't like how the lower door scallop detail and sill don't transition into the body. It looks like it just stops at the door frame.

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    From Autoweek...

What is it like to drive?

While the 500's main competitor, BMW's Mini, is a better driver in many ways--a bit faster, quicker steering response, better seats--the differences are subtle. The 1.4-liter engine in the 500 features Fiat's Multi-Air technology, in which a hydraulic system controls the intake valves, ensuring the right amount of air makes it to each cylinder to improve efficiency. The result is a rev-happy mill that returns an EPA combined 33 mpg. The 500 is not a sports car, but there is enough power on hand to make the trip to the grocery store an entertaining experience.

We found the seat bottoms a bit too short for our comfort--our major complaint with the car--and the steering was a bit too light. But pushing the dash-mounted Sport button firms up the steering, quickens the throttle response and--in cars fitted with the optional six-speed automatic--remaps shift points. The car is fun to drive, responsive and cute. It gets the kind of response from onlookers that usually is reserved for babies or little furry creatures.

Do I want it?

Price and style are the two main reasons to choose a 500 rather than a Mini. The 500 stickers for about $4,000 less than a comparably equipped Mini. In the subcompact market, that kind of price difference is huge. And the Fiat will be available in nearly twice as many dealerships. Right now, there are 130 dealers in 36 states, compared with about 80 Mini dealers. Fiat boss Laura Soave says more "studios" will be added to the lineup soon.

And then there's the Italian style the 500 delivers. Even though you will be cruising streets in your neighborhood, behind the wheel of the 500, you can imagine zipping around Rome, dodging Vespas at every corner.

The 500 is available in three different trim levels (Pop, Sport and top-of-the-line Lounge) and in 14 different colors--nearly twice as many as the average new car. Customization will be a major part of the 500 equation, with about 500,000 different configurations available. The cabin is filled with plenty of hard plastic, but there are other features to take your mind away from all that, including the speedometer/tachometer concentric-circle combo.

If 101 hp doesn't suit your style, you can wait a year for the 140-plus-hp Abarth version that should be a rocket. But these first versions of the 500 are plenty fun to drive, with either the five-speed manual or the six-speed automatic, and did we mention that the car is really cute?

9. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Wow. A car trim called a lounge? Going from 101 hp to 140 makes the car a rocket?

10. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    "The cabin is filled with plenty of hard plastic, but there are other features to take your mind away from all that, including the speedometer/tachometer concentric-circle combo."

Correct. One of the best things about the Mini is the parts you touch feel quality and the parts you see all the time look good and do not skuff easily. The 500 is the opposite it feels cheap and the stuff you have to look at are going to be scratched and skuffed really fast. The Detroit show cars looked 5 years old on the inside from people getting in and out of them.

Not to beat the dead horse into a pulp BUT there is no way I would buy a new 500 over a R50 or R53 at the same price. I am sure the roads will be flooded with them, I just do not see many current Mini owners buying them. High school girls should probably all have these as they will be great cars to learn on and high school girls are going to be happy to have a new car.

Then again my dad might be right and gas could be $5 a gallon by the end of the year and Americans could flock to these small cars. But we will just invade another oil rich country to get our reserves back up so we can keep buying cheap gas for our large vehicles.

Sorry my mind is wandering this afternoon it has been a long work week I am ready to go home :)

11. bjl

bjl New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @ Allen :deadhorse:

(this is my favorite emoticon of all time)

12. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :useless
    Jason

:useless
    If links to pics have already been listed then just:
    1.slap me awake
    2.tell me to shut up
    3.point me in the correct direction and shove

:cornut::Thumbsup: Jason

13. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
  14. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    you have NO idea what's already being developed in the aftermarket for this car..........I believe it's already got 48 state approval and the people doing it are someone every performance enthusiast will know:Thumbsup:

15. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Still, a factory 140hp car shouldn't be really called a rocket.

16. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Except for the ones sitting in the 101hp model. :D

17. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    The "Sport" version I specced out on the Fiat configurator came to just over $21k - for that much I'd rather have a MINI, unless I could get an Abarth - but I hear those will be around $30K...

I drove a 2011 service loaner Justa and was impresed with the new engine - it feels a whole lot stronger than 2 more hp! I was thinking I could easily live with one of those, till I drove my S home. End of story...

18. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    The aftermarket is most likely working on all the go fast goodies most any 500 owner could want. Think checkered mirror caps & stick on carbon fiber. ;)

After a while real mods will come. It's going to be tough for them to out horsepower a MINI I think.

Looking forward to seeing the 500's running around. I figure for every one of those I see there'll be one less SUV taking up space on the road. :D

19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The 500 has been around in Europe for some time with a thriving aftermarket. I'n sure many of those products will jump the pond as well.

20. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    If memory serves the multi-air engine does not like ECU tom foolery. Power to weight is the important number 100 HP could be really scary if the vehicle only weighed 800 pounds. The Elise does not have much power but it makes up for it with a very strict diet.