Fiat 500, no threat at all

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by rigidjunkie, Jan 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    That was a scorpion hickie.... :)

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I liked the "Gotcha Moment" when she caught him eyeing her.....:D

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Chrysler names Tim Kuniskis head of Fiat for N.A., replacing Laura Soave

Chrysler Group today named Timothy Kuniskis head of Fiat brand for North America, replacing Laura Soave, who "has left the company and will pursue other interests."

Kuniskis, 44, most recently served as director of marketing for the Chrysler and Fiat brands. The change is effective immediately, Chrysler said in a statement.

Soave, 39, who supervised Chrysler's efforts to reintroduce the Fiat brand in North America after a 17-year absence, attended the rollout last week of the Fiat 500 Abarth at the Los Angeles auto show, but did not participate in the press conference, raising further questions about her tenure.

She joined Chrysler in March 2010 after she had previously worked in marketing for both Ford and VW. Fiat's only North American vehicle, the subcompact 500, has suffered from lagging sales in part because of slow development of its U.S. dealer network.

4. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Well this sure is going to be the "Acid Test" to see if Fiat has the cojones to stick with the North American market.....

The boat is in the middle of the river, which way do we go????

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Fiat USA is asking itself a question this week. Is its new viral Youtube video for the Fiat 500 Abarth too racy to run as an ad on TV?

The Abarth is a performance version of the Fiat 500 that hit showrooms last spring. In Europe, where the current version of the car has been on sale for several years, it is known as the Cinquecento.

Fiat is trying to establish awareness in the U.S. after a 25 year absence. On Sunday, the company arranged for Jennifer Lopez, who has been appearing in Fiat ads, to appear to drive the 500 Gucci edition on the stage of the American Music Awards broadcast on ABC.

Fiat, and Europe in general, is known for running ads that are much more sexually suggestive than ads that run in the U.S.,

In the ad, titled "Seduction," a geeky looking man is walking down the street when he spots a gorgeous model bent over adjusting the strap on her shoe. She notices him gazing at her, and, shouting in Italian, chastises him for ogling her. The encounter, though, quickly turns gentler and she whispers in his ear, dips her finger in the foam in his latte, and then ... well, you'll have to view the ad to decide if the imagery is too suggestive for America's more Puritan eyes and ears.

"Networks in the U.S. have much stricter standards, which makes the ads we see in the U.S. routinely less interesting than what you see in Europe and South America," says AOL Autos Editor-in-Chief David Kiley, who is a former editor and columnist at ad industry magazine Adweek. "The other issue you have in the U.S. is that religious-based 'family' organizations will start issuing press releases and organizing boycotts if they think an ad is corrupting on some level, or has too much sexual innuendo."

Fiat CEO Olivier Francois, who also oversees marketing of Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep in the U.S., said the U.S. agency who created the ad, Dallas-based Richards Group, "intended it to be viral, but I am considering running it as an ad too, but I'm not sure. It may be too much."

What do you think?

6. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Hey, there was no "Wardrobe Malfunction".... Didn't offend me at all.

The MINI ads can be more risque, but then again most of their "questionable ads" are shown on Youtube to a younger hip crowd, with toned down versions in magazines, newspapers and TV.

7. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Not bad, I have an Italian friend with a lightly tuned 09 JCW that really wants the Abarth. Although he grew up with Fiats in Italy. :)

The JCW will be for-sale in a year or so, it currently has less than 3K miles on it, I suspect it will not break 4K miles any time soon. :( I drive it more than him. :lol:

Don

8. MINI Fireman

MINI Fireman New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    FWIW, I think the Fiat is alot like the MINI in many ways. I like it & would roll an Abarth in a heartbeat. I hope that they prosper enough to keep MINI on their toes & working hard for my continued business.

9. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    ^^^ Agree.....:D

10. MINI Fireman

MINI Fireman New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
  11. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Ludicrous product placement at the AMAs! I don't watch award shows but just read Jennifer Lopez performed on stage in, on and around a Fiat 500. Yes, I'm afraid there's video available...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLeTAIBZ89w]JLo performs with Fiat 500 at AMA 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

12. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    That is so wrong on so many levels......:(

13. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
  14. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Jenny was overheard saying......

Are you crazy, I'm not going back to the block...... I drink Evian now

15. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
  16. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Fiat 500 takes it on the chin...again

From Automotive News

17. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Watched the crash test videos last night. To my untrained eye it looks like it did OK, but I'm no engineer or do I play one on TV. It is amazing how much better cars are at protecting folks these days.

Me thinks that active safety should also be tested. Could a car get the heck out of the way in crash situation? To me that is every bit as important as what happens when it all goes pear shaped.

18. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    HAHAHAHA....:D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsixwikujq0]Fiat 500 cayuga 15 psi turbo wheellie - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQsKF2xgops]fiat 500 10 40 runs 003 - YouTube[/ame]

19. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Sweet video Chuck. Man that little 500 has some spicy meatballs.