1st Gen R53 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Finally, Gen1 Power Steering Delete Kit Available Soon!!!!!

1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    $50 bucks and reversible if you don't like it, what's not to like?

2. r34king

r34king Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Auto Tech NTB Capital BLVD
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Well after 3 weeks with mine in, I can say I love it. Got used to it after a few days and now I wouldn't go back unless I lost an arm. Although parking maneuvers are still tricky.

3. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that--Interested, will be more interested once you have yours installed and can review it!

4. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    If Dave.0 likes it it's got to be good. Because he's like "Mikey" he hates everything. So we're all waiting on you Dave.

5. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I never ever go into the city of Filth-a-delphia with my MINI.
    * except to go to Helix which is on the very edge of the city.

6. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I have found that a good e-brake power-slide in a parking lot avoids having to turn the wheel that much. It also keeps people from parking next to you. :lol:

7. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    #133 Steve, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    I asked Condor for torque specs but they still don't offer them. I'm not concerned about the don't crush bit, I can handle that, but I understand UHMW has a very low coefficient of friction and don't want to worry about the bolts backing out because I was worried about crushing and didn't tighten enough. They say "There are no specific torque specs and we have never had any issues with customers saying that it came loose." So, best guess.

I've had mine on for a couple hundred miles now and I'm increasingly happy (story below) but still not sure whether I'll leave it. Need to live with it a while longer before I make up my mind. Here's how it's gone, so far.

On my first drive it took me less than two minutes to decide "nope, not gonna work" and start thinking about how long it might be before I would feel like going to the trouble of reversing it (I pulled everything so would need to reinstall). But I kept going, ran a few errands and in the end decided I didn't quite hate it and would give it some more time. Low radius turns were a lot of work and parking was really tough.

Second and third drives were better but I was just adjusting to the need to use more muscle, planning ahead for every turn, man-handling the wheel, etc. Then I drove my other car (which DOES have power steering) and at the first turn I pulled too hard on the wheel and almost climbed a curb. After a quick "what the **** was that?!" I quickly figured it out and a couple neighbors out for a walk caught me laughing like an idiot (at myself) as I drove off. :D

I'd been thinking about it and decided I might be better off if I switch from my 8" wheels. I have some 7.5s - I know that's not much less - plus the 8s need spacers (12mm front, 15mm rear) to avoid rubbing on the struts/trailing arms. I'm surprised how much difference it made. The drive today was so much more fun! Low speed maneuvering in and out of parking spaces, etc, is still much less than ideal but low radius turns on the road require only about half the effort. I'm not sure how that's possible given the change I made :confused: but I'm not complaining. It also tells me those wide wheels/tires (plus spacers) put a lot of extra stress on my PS system.

To tell the truth, I'm glad I pulled the system rather than just draining the fluid and installing the delete block. I don't want to put it back in the garage on jack stands again right away so I kept driving instead of making a rash, premature decision to reverse it.

So, the experiment continues.

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Add me to this list...

Then again if the company wants to barter for some advertising here on M/A...Just sayin :ihih: :idea:

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Ok call me stupid. No wate don't I hear it enough already. I get this if your pump has gone out but why would you us it if you have a good pump? Othe than if your building a track toy. Will you get more positive steering? I guess I need to wate till some of you ginniepigs have installed it and do a review. So hurry up and do a review! :D

10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    My Mistress is into S&M :devil:

11. r34king

r34king Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    So I'm most if the way done. I have the luxury if a lift and tools at work. 18lbs of PS s**t removed from vehicle. Will have the subframe up and vehicle back together by lunch time. I'll let you know how it drives. So far looks promising

12. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Skeptical..... But interested

13. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    PM'd you, Nate. I brought this up w/ Carlos. Told him that MA should be on top of their list should Condor decide to become a supporting vendor.:Thumbsup:

14. r34king

r34king Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Depending on how busy work is tomorrow I'll be installing mine. I'll let you know how it goes and how I like it tomorrow afternoon.

15. r34king

r34king Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Done. Its a heavy feel. THIS IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. I like the feel. Its very connected to the road. But it does require more work from the driver. On a lo g highway run you don't feel it. If you don't drive long trips or drive mostly in the city you will hate it. I'll upload a few pics later today.

16. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Aww....don't you want to have offers of bottles of water by guys banging on your windows at every traffic light on a hot day?! I guess I can give them credit ...they were trying to work....and make an HONEST $$.
    Only time I ever had somebody try to break into my truck was in NorthEast Philly....near the Navy warehouse if I recall when at a shopping center in broad daylight...
    In the 5 minutes it took to get a store manager to get to the back of the store to open a loading dock, two rather large gentlemen with...er...interesting hair, and crowbars, crossed the street from a car wash(kinda funny actually) and tried to break a lock off the back of my trailer...
    When I saw them, and yelled, they were just like "nothin goin' on here...no troubles we be on our way"....
    Thinking back...should have let them break in...then shut the doors..lol...taken them back to Maine and let them out...(i have never seen a full " fro" in maine....lol)had maybe the last 8 pallets of a 3 stop delivery of Poland spring water...

17. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yeah that's a great story. ^^^ :lol::lol:

Ever wander where the guys selling soft pretzels or flowers wash there hands after they use the bathroom when they stand on the street all day? hummmm :nonod:

Where are the soft pretzels stored you are buying? They are behind a bush or on the ground near a dumpster. Ugh just nasty.

Oh and the old Veterans stadium where the Eagles and Phillies played used to have its own Court and Jail in it. That's how bad Philly is, it's a real dump.

18. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Who cares if it's hard to turn and park. That's not why you do this mod. This mod helps you "feel" the road when you drive in the twisties.

Dick the free added bonus is you will get arms bigger then the pencils you have now. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

19. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    "But officer, I had to go fast, otherwise I'd break my steering column and then cause a much bigger mess. Just trying to keep things safe on the road!"

20. WheelNut

WheelNut New Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hey Folks,

Dave O. was kind enough to send me his Condor manual steering conversion block last month and my R53 as kind enough to kill its power steering pump last Saturday. So, it was the perfect opportunity to finally try a car with manual steering for the first time in my life. It is something I have been wondering about for a very long time. I've put about 100km on the car over the last few days and I now have a good impression of the manual steering feel in my MCS. The required steering effort is VERY high and the feedback through the steering wheel is VERY clear and informative. My car is running Continental Extreme Contact DWS 205/40R17s. The suspension setup is totally stock. I am hoping to get the chance to try some alternate wheel/tire combinations on the car over the next month, so I will report back with how changing the tire width effects the steering effort and feedback.

My thoughts on the driving experience:
    The manual rack does provide unfiltered road feedback through the wheel. If I drive over an expansion joint mid corner I can feel that through the wheel, I can feel changes in the throttle through the wheel mid corner, mid corner bumps have a huge effect on the steering effort and the tracking of the car feels different- it tends to self center and track straight on the highway more than it did before.
    The steering effort required with my current configuration is unacceptably high and I would NOT recommend going manual with wide tires if you intend to drive fast (or slow haha). The mid corner steering effort is extremely high, not as high as with a dead pump hooked up, but it still very high.

Does anyone know if a steering rack for the R50/53 with a higher steering ratio exists? The standard R53 rack is 13:1. If it would be possible to fit a rack with a ratio above 15:1 perhaps it would be possible to get the great road feedback and avoid the high steering effort.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List