R53 First car with a weird past

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Mos, May 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Mos

Mos Member

May 10, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    The lil' car is fixed! turns out it was the ignition wires, but over the course of this whole thread I've just made the car so much better than it started out. I'm not even mad about, "wasting" time and money with other parts of the car. My crank pulley was on the way out a bit ago, after a hard drive it would smell like burnt rubber, but now I have an ATI pulley. I fixed the choppy idle because somehow injector one was unplugged :/ and now everything is back to normal! Right now I'm really happy with the car! And I might start autocrossing, there's a local club here. :)

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    This is great! Just because it is fix doesn't mean you need to be a stranger. Hang out with us old farts. If you autocross it we will need to send you a MA sticker, it will shave 2 seconds off your time.
    Pictures are always a good thing.

3. Mos

Mos Member

May 10, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Yeah you guys helped me so much! I'll definitely be sticking around, I've seen how my dad has made friends on his motorcycle forum, even went up to Montana to meet them all. I think there is a lot that I can learn from y'all, especially with me being so young and dumb. I may continue this thread and either start posting dash cam footage of some of my favorite drives, or my first autocross runs, or maybe just a chronicle of putting, "go fast" parts on my car. lil car.jpg

Here's the lil bmw beating car, now that my dad has moved I do almost all of my own work, this was fresh after a wash a few weeks ago.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,032 / 6 / -5
    It’s always nice to hear success stories.

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Keeping the thread going sounds like a good idea. Nice R53!

6. Mos

Mos Member

May 10, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys!!! I know it's been a minute, I've had to stay away from the lil car because my girlfriend (who's now my fiance :)) just visited and I had to spoil her. But just a few days ago I installed an intake on the car. The DDM works m62 with the foam filter because WMW recommended it. I think I feel a bump in power, but I'm not trying to placebo myself. Overall the experience of installing it was not too bad, other than the terrible build quality of the sheet metal intake box. I also cut my finger real hard on the rough hewn sheet steel. Other than that, didn't have to redo anything, didn't strip any screws, didn't lose any super important hardware, and only one run for tools! But damn it was all worth it when I heard the throttle go, "woosh." Sometimes I feel that I am too easily amused. But how are you guys doing?

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Glad you got it installed & you only spilled a little blood. ;) From what I understand it is a decent intake. Be careful. Way will want to keep his hand in your wallet. LOL

Congratulations on your engagement. :Thumbsup:

8. Mos

Mos Member

May 10, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    The intake is great once it's installed but the heat shield is just rough hewn sheet steel with only tac welds holding it together, there were some rubber pieces that ended up falling off of the shield. Other than the gripes of installing it, I love it, car runs great, sounds great, feels great. I am going to begin researching the autocross club around here, see if they're still kickin' during covid.

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Congratulations on the engagement! What better way to spoil her than take her for a ride in the Mini?
    Glad you like your CAI, I do like the added supercharger sound they make.
    As far as suppliers I much prefer Detroit Tuned. Chad is a great guy.

https://www.detroittuned.com/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Detroit Tuned FTW! :Thumbsup: