First detail, some questions on order of business

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by BoCRon, Apr 24, 2011.

1. BoCRon

BoCRon Active Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Milton, GA USA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    So my husband and I both got new MINIs in March, his a Cosmic Blue Countryman S, mine a Horizon Blue Cooper S. We had the windows tinted and had some clearbra done on March 25th. It has now been 30 days to let those cure and we are ready to do our first real detail.
    I have a full selection of Prima products and the PC that I ordered from Richard. I am going to wash, then clay. So on a new car what is the best next step? I'm a bit confused about which product goes next?

EPSN2102.jpg

And for Richard, the full pic of my detailing supplies area!

EPSN2103.jpg

Annette

2. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Do you really think both new MINI's need detailed now? It appears that they are garaged...is there overspray evidence, swirls, or light scratches? Personally I would wait a while and spend the time driving instead of detailing. Just my opinion and BTW I am a clean freak when it comes to my cars. And...very nice garage setup:cool:

3. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    #3 Rixter, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
    That is one fine looking detailing setup! :Thumbsup:

Richard can set the record straight but I believe it will be wash, clay, Amigo, Epic, BG, Hydro (in that order). I think gettting a good layer on for spring/summer is a great idea.

4. BoCRon

BoCRon Active Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Milton, GA USA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Thanks!
    We are heading to the Dragon on Wednesday, so both cars will got a lot of driving time plus they will be parked outside the whole time. I figured it might be a good idea to give them a coat of protection before heading out. If it seems like a waste of time to do now, then I'll just wash and Hydro.
    On another note, I live in Georgia, so it will be way too hot to detail in just a few weeks so there is that. I'll be waiting until October/November in order to not be detailing in the super heat.
    Annette

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I understand wanting to detail your new MINI/MINIs. FWIW I do not think you'd need to do clay-bar at this time or any polishing. No sense removing paint unless you need to fix something. Wash & then a coat of epic, first put some black wow on the trim. It will make removing any wayward epic easier.

Disclaimer: I'm not a detailer & don't play one on TV. Just an old fart that likes a clean MINI.

6. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    A good wash & then Hydro is what I'd do. When you have time you can give them the full spa treatment.

7. BoCRon

BoCRon Active Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Milton, GA USA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    #7 BoCRon, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
    Sorry, double post.

8. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Hydro does a good job. I use it after every wash. While not as good as a coat of epic it sure is easier to do.

If you keep your MINI in the shade & get a large fan going you may be able to detail in the hot weather. Drink plenty of water.

9. BoCRon

BoCRon Active Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Milton, GA USA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    So if my plan is to wash and then try out the epic, do I just dry the car with Hydro and then apply Epic, or do I just wash, dry, Epic, Hydro?

Annette

10. jcauseyfd

jcauseyfd New Member

May 25, 2009
    Graham, NC
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Even though it seems like it wouldn't need it being so new, I would go ahead and clay it now. You'd be surprised how much contamination is already on there. Especially with summer coming up, you'll want to get it clayed and a nice layer of Epic on there to last you through the summer. I'm sure one of the pros will jump in here, but whenever I put my wax down, I always wait at least a day before putting anything else on (e.g. Hydro).

11. jcauseyfd

jcauseyfd New Member

May 25, 2009
    Graham, NC
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I believe the order would be to wash, dry (without Hydro), Epic. Let the Epic bond overnight/for a day.

12. BoCRon

BoCRon Active Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Milton, GA USA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Thanks all! Sounds like a plan.
    Annette

13. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Anothe thread I'm late too...the cabinet looks awesome! I think the conclusion made is just fine. Wash, clay, Epic wax would be a great prep before your trip to prevent the bugs from sticking and making for easier maintenance when you return! Take some Slick and or Hydro for the trip to use to maintain while on the road. Clarity would also be a good one to have to clean off the glass!

Richard

14. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I would clay the paint first. Even new cars have lots of contaminants on the paint.

If you don't get it clayed before the Dragon, then I would use Banana Gloss instead of Epic for the trip, then do the clay/Amigo/Epic thing when you get back.

Mark

15. BoCRon

BoCRon Active Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Milton, GA USA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Thanks all, I never got started yesterday. Running the dog park got in the way, never fails :crazy:. We are closed today, so I'm getting started as soon as I get my daughter off to school.
    Oh,, and Richard, I do have Clarity, I keep it on my towel dispenser so I can always do a quick window clean.
    EPSN2105.jpg

Annette

16. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    True Dat'. Even after the telling the dealer to not wash my wife's 10' MCS before delivery I clayed off a bunch of crap. And that was about the same timeframe you are talking, 30 days

PS, use your eyes to judge if you need to polish. Can you see any swirls or light scratches? If yes and real light you might want to ask OG about doing the Epic polish. I used it on my wifes new car at about 6 mo's of only me washing by hand, all it needed

17. BoCRon

BoCRon Active Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Milton, GA USA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Talked to Richard this morning. There are many companies out there that could learn a thing or two about customer service from him. He told me I should have just called him yesterday (Sunday!) and I told him I would only do that if it were a true detailing emergency!
    Anyway here's the order he gave me, pretty much what I got here. Wash, clay(using the water that is left on the car from the wash) Black Wow the black trim, then Epic. He told me that I could also do BG in place of the Epic, but that I did not want to get any of that on the clearbra, but that if Epic got on the clearbra that wasn't a problem, so that's how we decided on the Epic. I'll probably do a light rinse before I leave and Hydro. If I have time I will detail the wheels tonight or tomorrow.

Annette

18. BoCRon

BoCRon Active Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Milton, GA USA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    #18 BoCRon, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
    So now I'm really glad I talked to Richard yesterday. During the course of the conversation he mentioned that the Epic needed to dry for 30 minutes or so, even longer. He has left it on overnight before which I assured him was not an option since I had to get moving on this and get ready to go. So as soon as I finish the last little bit of Epic application, out of nowhere this HUGE thunderstorm blows in, totally sunny skies just minutes before. It proceeded to storm the rest of the day and all last night. Needless to say it was so humid the Epic was not drying. So here Mozart sits all covered in goo still this morning. Not a problem, but still it was nice not to have to call Richard again with another newb question.

Annette