First HPDE Experience

Discussion in 'Track Days & HPDE's' started by RonsMinnie, Jun 29, 2010.

1. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Just experienced my first HPDE event and wow what an experience at Harris Hill – San Marcos, Texas. Rick and Karen from the Driver’s Edge where great in looking after this green – green guy. They kept asking me if I was “OK†and if I was having fun? Each time I replied with a perfunctory “yesâ€. But I have a guess the look on my face and my demeanor was conveying another message.

My instructor “Vader†was terrific, patient yet drill sergeant strong. The comradely of everybody there was great.

M!nn!e did great, even this “just a cooper†clubman is more car than I am driver. I lost all my “S†envy. I need driving “mods†before power “modsâ€. I think I got all my “speed racer†needs “fixed†and next time I am going to be ready to learn to drive smoothly - consistently.

We did have one concern with the car, the Texas heat had created ripples in some spots in the track asphalt, and in one spot in the track where the car un-winded strong out of turn to driver’s side to approx 80 mph straight we got a sound that sounded like a tire was rubbing as it traveled over these ripples. But a thorough inspection showed no signs of any tire rubbing. I am going to need to figure out a way to replicate this condition and figure it out.

On the drive home I started reflecting on my thoughts and that question “are you having fun†needed answering. My thoughts did not lead me to a straight forward enthusiastic “YESâ€. The feeling was one more of accomplishment, a feeling of satisfaction knowing I had started a journey well. Then I realized I had this big grin on my face.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The addiction has started. You could not have picked a better group than Drivers Edge for your 1st. Rick and Karen run great events.

Looking forward to seeing you at some of the Driver Edge DE's here in North Texas too...

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yep, it's all downhill from here! :D

A Justa makes a fine track car, we have a fellow who runs with us all the time in his '02 Justa, and it's a CVT, too! He's just as fast thru the turns, the only place we can get him is down the straights where the S has a lot more "legs"....

Welcome to the REAL madness! :Thumbsup:

4. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    In fact, a Justa is the best car (of any, period) to do your first track day in. It's very forgiving, you can wring it's neck without getting into too much trouble, and the sounds are great. Get an open intake for that near-redline howl.

[​IMG]

5. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I caught the bug too a couple month's back with the local Porsche club. Augie acquitted himself most admirably. Several vette's and boxter's were surprised to see a MINI all over their backsides and begrudgingly giving me to point by. Reminder for me to post the pic's

6. YesIFit

YesIFit New Member

May 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Congrats! Karen and Rick and the whole TDE group put on a great show. I woulda been down there too, but the bug bit me so bad that I was up at Eagle's Canyon doing the BMWCCA/Bimmerworld Club Race School.

Welcome to the dark side! :cool:

- On a side note, you should come out to the LeMons race @ MSRH in September.

7. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    It was great to meet and spend a little time with you Ron.

And BTW Vadar was not your instructor..............Tony was, and I agree, Tony is a great instructor. :)

8. Vader

Vader New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    "Vader" screen name, "Tony" real name :D

and thank you both for the compliment.

9. Alan

Alan Active Member

May 6, 2009
    retired
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Welcome!

Lets hope Rick decides to go back to MSR-H for the August event.

You were too kind regarding the status of Harris Hill Road. The place is a bumpy mess. I spent most of the weekend in a 3100 pound car with 700lb/in springs. I have marks on the top of my helmet from hitting the roof. I think Rick should cross it off the list till they get it fixed. Sad, because its my local track.

I thought my MINI was rough riding, but it was a recliner by comparison.

10. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #10 mini_racer, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
    Yeah it is not optimal, every time you run H2R the bumps get a little worse. They have some plans to repair, but not soon enough. It certainly does present itself as a learning experience.

I believe it is scheduled to be almost if not 100% repaired by the end of August, according to H2R management.