First Mini: 2005 R52 Convertible - Thoughts, Opinions, and Advice Appreciated

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by jchmini, May 1, 2015.

1. jchmini

jchmini New Member

May 1, 2015
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, @N2MINI. The reason for the low mileage is that it's my second car, and I work from home. Thinking about ditching the new Mercedes and just keeping the Mini as a daily driver / single car, as it doesn't really make sense for the mileage I drive to have two cars. A few months of the MB payment would pay for all the Mini repairs...so that's the route I'm thinking of going..just need to make it passed getting the important items fixed (axle, trans fluid, oil leaks).

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! We ARE the site that tries to help its members.

3. jchmini

jchmini New Member

May 1, 2015
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks again for all the replies and information, you've really helped me gain some perspective on my Mini project..at this point, even though I might end up putting in more than the "blue book" value; I don't really care about that as I'm already in love with the Mini and would rather spend money now to ensure that its life is prolonged opposed to passing it along to someone who will burn it up.

I'm trying to triage the repairs as I don't have the time or place to do them all at once, and a huge part of this is doing them myself...the struts gave me great confidence...and the Bentley repair manual!

First priority is the recalls. The passenger airbag sensor isn't a big deal to me and Mini Denver doesn't even have the replacement parts (or so I'm told) to do the repairs at this time.

The second recall, or "extended warranty" as I'm told, is on the power steering pump and cooling fan. Unlucky for me, I was told every component (p/s supply, suction, and return) need replaced, albeit the pump and fan are fine so they won't cover or discount this repair. Do I let the pump run dry and break, then they will fix, or would negligent maintenance be an excuse for Mini not to perform the repair (this one is a big $$ ticket).

Next on the agenda is replacing the coolant hoses and fluids, and the engine oil leaks. I was thinking about starting with the crank sensor "o" ring, as I've read several times it's the culprit, opposed to the oil pan gasket and/or valve cover gasket..but I'll already be at that part of the car..so I should probably go ahead and replace them as I'll have access.

For the FR and FL axle issues (FR needs replaced, FL needs replacement axle seal), should I just spend the cash and swap out both while I'm at? It seems like there's as much labor involved in changing the seal as there is the actual axle.

I'm looking at renting a little lot/yard with garage and storage for $400 a month so I can do the repairs myself..giving myself four months. It seems like the value in learning about my Mini and doing the work myself make up for the differential in labor of having Mini do it..and I still save a couple grand.

Once again, thoughts, comments, advice...all appreciated!

Motor on! You guys are great!

4. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    You know for that kind of money id just put a 6 speed manual in it and never have to worry about a trans problem again...

5. jchmini

jchmini New Member

May 1, 2015
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @ColinGreene!

There's not an issue with transmission that I'm aware of at this point; other than the left front axle seal leaking fluid. Once I re-adapted the TCM and ECU, the gears shift and there are no slippages or noises, from 0-100MPH, namely in gears 1 and 2.

I think the most major issue(s) are the FR axle being "broken" and the FL axle leaking Trans. fluid.

If it was economical, I would love to swap out for a manual and turbo this guy, but I think that puts me in another realm?

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Every first gen MINI is worth more than any book says.

7. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,019 / 6 / -5
    Truer words were never spoken !! :Thumbsup:

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    As far as the PS hoses leaking just take off the crimp clamps and put some normal ones on. I am working on a friends mini that 4 years ago the dealer told them they needed new hoses. They brought it to me and I put new clamps on them. A few weeks ago I pulled the sub fraim to do some work. The hoses still aren't leaking, after 4 years.
    I did this to my car also and it stopped the leaks. When I had the dealer do the PS and fan last year they left them on.

9. jchmini

jchmini New Member

May 1, 2015
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Just wanted to share an update on this R52!

Took it back to Mini and got them to replace the Power Steering pump and fan under the extended warranty; wow does the handling feel much better. I didn't have complete P/S failure, but there was definitely something going on.

During this visit to the Mini service department, they noted additional items that needed repair/replacement--which they didn't catch 15 days prior..some of them seem a bit extensive. I had replied to a survey sent to me by the dealer and stated my frustrations with their service recommendation vernacular. I.e., "Severe oil leaks", so much so, they wouldn't change my oil. The second visit, they reclassified the leaks as "seeps" and recommended an oil change.

I'm pretty confident the trans. is going strong on this one, no issues so far, and I've reset all the adaptation and "re-trained" the driving style--thank god for INPA!

Here's what Mini says this R52 needs now:

Collapsed Engine Mount
    Valve Cover Gasket Leak (suggested previously)
    Coolant Flush Recommended
    Brake Flush Recommended
    Interior microfilter replacement (the filter is brand new?)
    Drive belt replacement
    Oil change recommended
    Oil Pan Gasket Leak
    Dip Stick Tube O-Ring *seep*
    Front Crank Sensor O-Ring *seep*
    Control Arm Bushings Torn
    -Alignment Recommended
    Both output shafts require a rebuild
    Replace All P/S Lines
    Both Output Shaft Seals *seep*
    Trans Pan Gasket Seep
    Thermostat Leak

I don't notice any leaks on the garage, and the coolant level stays between min and max, as does the oil (at max).

Mini service is such a joke, but I'm loving the ability to do repairs myself. In love so much, I picked up an 03 R50, one owner, with 58k, that is my next project--$2,750.

10. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    FWIW, ALL those things are probably true, to some extent. They're all the things that need doing on these cars at this age. All the seals and o-rings are toast. Doesn't mean you *must* replace / fix them... but they do all leak to varying degrees until fixed, and will get worse with time. (other than the microfilter, which they always recommend if they don't know better).

11. jchmini

jchmini New Member

May 1, 2015
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @BlimeyCabrio, I totally agree. Especially out in CO with the dust, dirt, snow and sand...and the dryness factor, it would be expected that several of these things are justified.

My frustration lies in the fact that they have different recommendations or find new "major" problems within a few week window...I just replaced the microfilter myself, so it's proof they dont even pull the darn thing out.

And I have a little confusion with the statement "both driveshafts" need rebuilt, when the previous suggestion was replacing the front right drive shaft and replacing a seal on the left drive shaft.

I'm pretty much giving up on Schomp Mini for doing any service on my Minis outside of the things that are covered by an extended warranty, or things that aren't worth my time to do (Trans/Oil/Fluid changes). Even with that, I might try and find another independent shop in the area that specializes in Minis.

While I work on replacing the not so fun things, I've also spent some time installing some goodies! Aux cable addition and new subwoofer and amplifier to complement the HK system.

Hoping to post more pictures soon! Also, a new thread will be needed for my R50...stay tuned!

Thanks again for all the replies, you guys make these projects worth it and a lot more fun. I hope to contribute to others success with the knowledge I've attained!

12. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    And it's all the same basic stuff I had to replace on my 1977 TR7 when I refurbished it in 1984. All the rubber stuff on the car. Shocker! :D

13. jchmini

jchmini New Member

May 1, 2015
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yep, that's fair. The car was also sitting in the CO sun (street parked) for almost a year before I got it..not going anywhere..so I'm sure that didnt help!

I'm trying to locate a garage or small location to rent to work on the Minis (and other hobbies) as I do enjoy performing the work myself, albeit my apartment community has already given me a warning about working on cars in the garage...

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Collapsed Engine Mount - Normal, there are various thoughts on replacements. We have an ongoing thread at - http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/cooper-s/24942-can-someone-explain-motor-mounts-me.html

Valve Cover Gasket Leak (suggested previously) - Normal, replace with OEM

Coolant Flush Recommended - Should do this every two years. Would recommend doing so if unknown when last change was performed.

Brake Flush Recommended - Should do this every two years. Would recommend doing so if unknown when last change was performed.

Interior microfilter replacement (the filter is brand new?) Annual change. If you use the AC a lot get the carbon filled one.

Drive belt replacement - I do this every year.

Oil change recommended - Always a good idea

Oil Pan Gasket Leak - Normal

Dip Stick Tube O-Ring *seep* - Normal

Front Crank Sensor O-Ring *seep* - Normal

Control Arm Bushings Torn - Normal, replace with poly ones.

Both output shafts require a rebuild - OEM are very good, stay away from Rock Auto type ones, they don't last at all.

Replace All P/S Lines - Probably needs new clamps not new hoses. The factory ones are for ease of production, not longevity.