First MINI E delivered to LA customer

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, May 28, 2009.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [IMGL]http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/members/nathan-albums-site-stuff-picture150-bmw-mini-e-1st-owner.jpg[/IMGL] by Domenick Yoney on May 28th, 2009 at 7:58AM Autoblog Green

Despite thousands of people signing up for a chance to lease the MINI E, only 500 are being produced at this stage, with 50 of those are destined for Berlin. Now, after months of winnowing down the list, the very first car has been delivered to one very happy customer. After meeting all the necessary requirements and having a charger installed in his garage, Peter Trepp took delivery of his shiny new ride last Friday. He had actually just test-driven one the day before where he learned of his impending good fortune.

Numbered 111, the electric two-seater is Peter's to enjoy for a year and he already expects that the parting will be difficult. His first drive in his car, like ours, occurred in bad L.A. traffic, but he was more than content and enjoyed the entire slow ride home. Trepp advises other future MINI E "pioneers" they'll get used to not having to touch the brake pedal. The regenerative braking is relatively strong and, he says, "not bad at all." Drivers won't have to worry about the people behind them being unaware when the car's momentum decreases as the brake lights will come on when the foot is lifted from the accelerator. You can follow Peters MINI E experience at his blog which he has diligently been updating since March.

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Ha? What? This thing won't coast?

3. miniconcarne

miniconcarne New Member

May 5, 2009
    Machinist
    Home
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    He only gets a year to enjoy it? So this is more like a long term rental, or did I miss something?

"..good news, you get a chance to lease one but only for a year! And you have to give back the charger."

4. Perfusion

Perfusion New Member

May 23, 2009
    Cardiovascular Perfusionist
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep...they're all leases. Think of it somewhat like a "pilot" program - it keeps MINI in control, and it keeps the potential for a 2nd-hand market to spin wildly out of control. Even Ferrari leased all of their 2nd generation supercars - the F50 - to the original owners for many of the same reasons, primarily control.

Without wanting to derail this into a politics thread, there's a documentary called "Who Killed the Electric Car?" that anyone interested in the MINI E should most definitely watch. It's quite eye-opening.... Take it with a grain of salt, but definitely give it a watch.

5. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I think that they cost around $800 a month, but that includes insurance.

You have to be in SoCal or NY/NJ area and had to apply to participate.

A guy at my office has a friend who is waiting for his to arrive. He had trouble getting a permit for the special charger in the garage (it charges only at night, during off-peak electricity cost hours)... it's all installed and waiting for the car to arrive.

6. FERNO

FERNO New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here's a pic I took of one in DC.

[​IMG]

7. R50 Paul

R50 Paul New Member

May 5, 2009
    Covina, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I live close to the city that produces some of the electrics for the MINI E, so I've seen a few driving around, haven't gotten my Cooper next to one yet though.

8. bstaps

bstaps New Member

May 4, 2009
    Hose Jockey
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Where is his blog?

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Whoops...forgot to add the link...

Peter's Mini E

10. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    pretty cool. hope they work out for people. i lol'd at the m3 part... that would be a blast

11. bstaps

bstaps New Member

May 4, 2009
    Hose Jockey
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Nathan, I have too much time and not enough to read.