First thoughts on the Cravenspeed Dipstick

Discussion in 'Feedback, Reviews & Comments' started by 05r50, Dec 16, 2012.

1. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    I thought I would post my initial thoughts on the Cravenspeed Dipstick I got myself for Christmas. :biggrin5:

To set the tone, I have an 09 JCW (R56) so this is the 2nd gen model that they offer. I have always found it difficult to determine what the OEM dipstick is telling me. Mine doesn't match up to the pictures in my owner's manual so that added to the confusion.

In order to compare the two against each other, I set up a square edge reference mark, a tape measure, and a paper towel to help show the oil amount.

First off, I notice that for me the OEM is longer. Not sure why or if it matters. Secondly, the action of the Craven in the dipstick tube is like night and day to the OEM. There is almost no resistance in replacing the Craven. It just slides right in. Additionally I do think it is easier to see the oil on the Craven along with counting the notches to determine the oil level. According to the tech document on Craven's site;
    " Like the factory dipstick, the sinker on the Dipstick Replacement measures approximately 1 quart of oil.

Add more oil to your MINI based on how many notches have collected oil. If all notches are clean, add about a quart of oil. If half of the notches are clean, add about a half a quart of oil."

So, what do you think? Is it easier to tell? I can see that I have ~3 clear notches on the craven whereas the oem looks like it is almost full.

And yes. It is time for an oil change.

Attached Files:

2. bmwr606

bmwr606 New Member

May 10, 2012
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    you are measuring the dipsticks incorrectly, line up the surface that sits against the dipstick tube, then compare the other end (where you read the oil)

[​IMG]

scott

3. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I'd say change the oil and see where it is...That is where you should keep it.

4. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    Scott,

Great point. never thought of lining up on that side. The point of my straight edge was so that I could keep the paper towel in the same reference to the bottom edge of the working end.

The thing I notice is that if Craven is correct that the bobber of each dipstick is for referencing approx 1 qt of oil, these two are not sending the same message. It appears to me that the Craven is showing that I am low approximately 1/3 qt given the lack of oil on the top 1/3 of notches of the Craven bobber. I don't see the same with the OEM when I look at the oil residue on the towel and the total length of the bobber.

[​IMG]

I'm not saying either are correct. I do think that I can get more used to the reference marks that are on the Craven. Besides, I paid for it so I might as well use it. :wink:

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Jeff, it's been pretty well documented the torpedo shaped OEM dipstick end is notorious for giving false readings. I wouldn't put too much faith in your oil stain comparison....
    Do your oil change and add the exact amount of oil called for and see where the level is on the Craven...

6. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    The best 2nd Gen funky dipstick oil checking reference I've stumbled across is here.

(Apologies for the link to the sewing site. Every once in a while, you're forced to dance with the devil. :eek: )

7. AM_AUTOS

AM_AUTOS New Member

Dec 27, 2012
    UK
    Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for this write up

I will be picking my craven dipstick soon

I hate OEM one as its impossible to read

8. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    I'll be interested in your comments about the Cravenspeed dipstick. My '08 has the OEM spring type stick with two brass balls (yeah... Ha ha) crimped on the end. I find it very difficult to read.

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    This must be just a 2nd Gen thing because I can read mine fine and I check my oil often.

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    1st Gen dipsticks just crack, break and leave bits in the oil pan.

Have a 1st Gen version of the Craven Speed dipstick, it's da bomb, as the kids used to say.

11. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    It is a 2nd Gen thing.... They don't break like the 1st Gen's but you can't read the damned things!

12. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I have no idea how people break them, what are people doing with them having Zoro sword fights with them?

It a dip stick people, put it in and pull it out. I am sure we have all done that before. :lol::devil:

13. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    ^^^ Oh very tempting... But no.. :D

14. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    These sticks are the cat's a$$! I absolutely love mine.

15. SacredDisorder

SacredDisorder Because Race Car?
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 28, 2012
    Iott Ranch & Orchard
    Petersburg, MI
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Agreed. Worth the Pennies.

16. minidiver

minidiver Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The OEM has the problem of the sinker dragging oil up the side of the tube as you pull it out. If you put it right back in and try again it will show a higher level as it picks up the oil on the side of the tube. The Craven unit uses a much more narrow sinker to stop this false reading problem.

17. THE ITCH

THE ITCH New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Nathan
    With my GP in storage for the winter I was doing an oil change and noticed my first generation Cravenspeed dip stick was starting to look a little funky.
    It has some circular crack marks going around the diameter of the dip stick right about where the bend happens in the dip stick tube.
    I called Cravenspeed and they instantly agreed to send me their new style for the R53. After checking the woman on the phone said it was the reason they switched to the new style. Excellent customer service!
    Now I won't worry about leaving part of the dip stick in the tube. You may want to give yours an inspection.
    Steve

18. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I do love mine, but I still find it very difficult to read the oil level with new oil in it. I often will grab the OEM to check the level, since I find it easier to see the oil.

19. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,652 / 2 / -0
    While I agree it is a nice piece of kit. Man that's a lot of donut money for a dipstick. Glad I'm able to read oem the ones in our MINIs.

20. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    At MOTD 10 Kellen took a look at mine, saw the same cracks you mention. He replaced it there with the latest version. I do agree, their customer service at Craven Speed is second to none.