Fitting a K&N air filter to HIF6 carb... Removal?

Discussion in 'Classic Mini' started by ImagoX, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Once more Matt is confronted by the Case of the Diabolical fitting... In this episode... K&N air cleaner MADNESS!!!! :cryin:

I purchased a K&N cone unit and am trying to fit... The unit I have is one-piece with the filter mated permanently to the top/bottom plates with what looks like epoxy. I got the old air box/filter as well as the 90-degree adapter off the back of the carb just fine...

The trick is... How do you bolt the new K&N unit on? Even with the little "hat" plate on the top (narrow) end of the cone removed, I still can't get inside the unit to replace the mounting bolts (X2, Phillips-head units). I figured the entire cone assembly came apart allowing me to simply bolt the flat bottom piece on - I hadn't counted on having to get INSIDE the cone assembly.

How did you guys with K&N units manage the trick?

Thanks as always in advance!

2. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Nevermind... I thought it was glued on, but it was just the rubbery seal on the bottom edge not wanting to come off the back plate. Derp de duuuur... :beer

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Glad we could help!!

4. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Aaaaaaand... of course I got the wrong unit! So much for endless calls trying to ID the unit - I'm down to basic measurements of the bore size and mounting bolt spacing in the hopes K&N has an alternate base plats I can order. Grrrrrrrrrrr....

5. TA2DMAC

TA2DMAC New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You know with the cone you can lose up to 6hp. If you have the air box, get the K&N for that and then dril 1/4 inch holes in the fron't half of the box(on the outside area of the filter) for more air flow. Mini Spares did a full article on the findings.