Interior 1st Gen Fitting Black R56 MFSW Steering Wheel Inserts in R53 Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Jeffsmashkot, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Jeffsmashkot

Jeffsmashkot New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've recently noticed that the 2nd Gen Mini's have black MFSW inserts. Anyone know how different they are and if they'd even come close to fitting? I wrapped mine in vinyl last night, but I'm not completely satisfied with the actual buttons/controls.

It looks like newMiniStuff.com will fit them for you, but I'm not about to ship a wheel to England for this.

2. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I traded my R56 for an R52 recently and as far as I could tell they're very close. If anything, I think the spokes are rounder in cross-section on the 1st gen and somewhat flatter on the 2nd gen.

3. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    The part sizes very similar and may physically fit. The wiring and connector appears to be different:

R53
    [​IMG]

R56
    [​IMG]

Obviously NewMiniStuff have worked it out. Perhaps you can offer to purchase the parts from them if they are willing to give you hints about what modifications are needed.

4. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    BTW, if you want a steering wheel to ship to England, I upgraded mine to JCW and have an extra 3-spoke in excellent condition that I can sell for cheap. There are probably plenty of them lying around from people who got the JCW steering wheel.