Fixing small ding in Highgate paint?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Laserboy, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Laserboy

Laserboy New Member

May 25, 2013
    Southern Illinois (St. Louis area)
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    :cryin: Well, longish story but the gist is this: Just as my brand new Mini passed the 1000 mile mark, I got caught in a huge traffic jam a few hundred meters behind a truly nasty multi-car pileup. I wasn't part of the main accident, I am very relieved to say, but there was a lot of chaos as cars jockeyed to let emergency vehicles pass. I truly applaud the behavior of the motorists around me--everyone really tried to do the right thing. The guy right in front of me tried to back up to let an ambulance pass and, in the confusion, just overestimated things a bit and barely tweaked my front bumper. I really can't blame the guy for the booboo and can't fault him for not stopping to exchange insurance info. We were at a dead stop for over a half hour and I could have walked up and knocked on his window if I wanted to make a thing about it. But I got out and took a look at the damage and saw that there was no dent, just a flake of paint knocked off. Really no more damage that a random stone will do, sooner or later, anyway. So I let it go so far as that was concerned.

I phoned my wife, while sitting there, and asked her to phone the dealership to see about getting a dab of touchup paint. She called back to let me know that they say there is no such animal: The Highgate paint is a complex thing, with pretty blue flecks in it (that's why I bought it, after all). So here I am with a ~4 mm diameter flake of paint missing from my front bumper. And it's really bugging me! When I look at the car, of course, it is magnified in my eye well out of proportion. I need to cover it up, as well as possible. What technique would you folks recommend for concealing the damage optimally? If I can't get the "Iced Chocolate" paint, does anyone have a suggestion for a next-best? Many thanks!

PS The accident that closed the highway was horrendous. I saw the wreckage, once things opened up. I was sure there'd be deaths. But it turns out that none of the injuries was life-threatening! I really mustn't feel too bad about a speck of lost paint. Here's a link for those in the STL area who are curious: Lanes reopened following collision that closed NB I-55 in south St. Louis | KMOV.com St. Louis

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Sorry about the ding. No help here but we do have knowledgable people on board who should be along shortly so I'll bump you back to the top again.:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I'd swing by a good body shop & ask their opinion. They may be able to tell you where you can get some paint mixed of the right special color. There is a recipe for all paints. Only trouble I see is it is likely you will need to buy a quart & not a touch up pen.

Try calling the good folks at eMINIparts.com. Bet they can help you out.

4. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: A small container of BRG touch up paint came with my Margi(08 R56 BRG MCS/JCWm) when I bought her. I guess that they don't do that any more.:Thumbsup:

Jason

5. ljmattox

ljmattox Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    IT consultant
    St Louis metro USA
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Love the Highgate, and you're right, the special paint is such a big part of it. I ogled a Highgate on the sales floor at MINI STL not too long ago. Interior is so nice, also. Sorry for your trouble, that was indeed one catastrophic wreck.

6. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    PM me the paint code and I will see if it is in my PPG program. If it is I could mix a dab up and send it to you. Or if you are ever in the middle of the state I could get it to you.

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Iced Chocolate Metallic Paint Code - B49. PPG lists it as 934632

8. Laserboy

Laserboy New Member

May 25, 2013
    Southern Illinois (St. Louis area)
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Beat me to it :cornut: I just found that same code. Interestingly, it's listed as "Iced Chocolate Pearl" on the site I found. So I'm not sure.

Docv, many thanks for the offer! I may take you up on it. I'm going to the dealership tomorrow, for something else, and plan on whimpering at them. I'm hoping they'll be able to get something dabbed on there.

I'll post an update when I'm back from the visit. :fingerscrossed: