2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Flapping diaphragm vibrating tin like sound starting at 1800 rpm's?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Systemlord, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I have been hearing a clapping like diaphragm vibrating tinny-tin like sound starting at around 1800 rpm's and up, you know like that wind-up monkey toy that claps the two brass plates together.

It's consistency is easily predictable and repeatable. I have a hunch that it has something to do with the turbo because as I understand the turbo starts increasing boost at around 1800 rpm's. I have had the walnut blasting done and the timing chain components replaced, does anybody know what this sound is? Do all MCS have this sound?

Much appreciated!

Systemlord.

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Could it be a heats shield? Check under the hood maybe one is bent or loose.
    Sorry not much help, I'm a R53 guy. Someone with more knowledge should be along soon.

3. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Oh no, it's not a vibration externally, it's something to do with the valve that operates on vacuum to pull something open. I know I have a wastegate and other vacuum operated devices, I'm just not very familiar with turbocharged engines. It just happens the sound comes when the turbo is starting to boost.

I still appreciate the effort. Thanks.

4. 10Nathan10

10Nathan10 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Michigan
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I have never had a turbo'd mini but on other turbo cars I have had that noise is usually a waste gate.

5. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Does this vibrating tinny-tin sound indicate that there is something wrong with the wastegate? Could the wastegate cause my engine to run lean if it wasn't operating properly? I'm experiencing misfires and strange pressurized noises during the misfires, these misfires are periodic and mostly happen on WOT.

6. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Could be the "noisemaker", I took mine off and didn't notice any difference at all in the sound.

The sound generator brings the sound back to the firewall to make it more apparent to the driver and passenger. In addition, this system filters out some of the naturally occurring sounds and selects others. The sounds that are selected for are those associated with a performance roadster. The result is a sound, especially upon acceleration, similar to a big V8 engine. Not only is the sound pleasing but it also provides feedback to the driver; the power is heard as well as felt.

[​IMG]

#13 in this pic....

[​IMG]

they would have had it off to do the walnut blasting, and may not have gotten it secured again. My car had a terrible rattle under the hood, eliminating this part got rid of the rattle.

7. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    What would you put in the noise makes place, is there a part that replaces the noisemaker? Isn't the wastegate only supposed to release the pressurized air during deceleration and not while on the throttle?

8. 10Nathan10

10Nathan10 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Michigan
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    No, the wastegate controls the amount of boost you have usually via a spring. A blow off value is what is used to release air under deceleration.

9. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Could it be that the spring is worn out? What would a stiffer spring do for me? I believe that my blow off valve is what is making this tin vibration sound right just before or at the time its ready to open, I have heard of some changing their springs in the blow off valve.