1st Gen R53 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Flat tire light gremlins

1. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Prolly ah wheel speed sensor. No big deal.

2. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Where are those located on the car? Is there a way to isolate the diagnosis to a specific wheel or do I just replace 'em all?

3. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure where they are exactly (except to say near the hub somewhere) but I would replace them all at once, they're all subject to the same dirt/water/elements and if one failed the others probably aren't too far behind.

4. theCapn

theCapn New Member

May 13, 2009
    Upstate, SC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I had one go bad on me at about 20k mi. However, when it did go bad, all my lights came on. ABS, DSC and tire.

The wheel speed sensor is the wire going to the almost center of the hub/knuckle/spindle.
    Should be an allen socket-cap bolt that holds it in.
    If you have a plug that has separating, it may be causing the intermittent nature.

Also, to reset the light, you have to hold it for a while. Not just press and release.

One more thing. Are all of the tires set at the same pressure? They may not be losing air, but they do have to match (within reason).

5. AllBlack05S

AllBlack05S New Member

May 18, 2009
    Selling Harley parts worldwide
    Bartlett, Il
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Might just be a heavy right foot. Only happens when its wet out right? If you drive with DSC off like I do you get that unless you have a limited slip diff. If you spin one of your fronts in corners a decent amount when its wet you get the light. If no wheelspin then it is a bad sensor.

6. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I've been running DSC off for over a year and haven't had any tire light problems, I'd double check your sensors too (or maybe you're spinning way more than I ever let it.).

7. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    At $161 a pop on RealOEM, that's an expensive proposition. I might try to rotate a new one around to each corner and see if that fixes it.

Yeah, I saw that diagnosis on [the other site], but this is just the flat tire light.

I'll check the sensor plugs. Thanks for the specifics on the location.

Yeah, this has been happening for the past 3-4 months. I've run two different sets of wheels with different size tires, and I put a brand new set of tires on one of those sets of wheels, and there was a track day in there too, so I'm pretty sure it isn't the wheels that are causing the issue. I had the tire light go on legitimately several months ago when my adjustable lower rear control arm loosened up, but everything's tight now. And yes, I reset the light each time I swapped wheels.

I have an LSD, and I drive with DSC on unless I'm trying to beat some punk at the light. :lol:

Other than checking for loose connections, it sounds like there really isn't any way to diagnose a bad sensor other than replacing it with a new one. :confused5: I'll post after I jack the car up and look.

8. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I've had the idiot lite thing since coming home from the Dragon this year. I know it's a sensor but which one, don't know, so I turn off the ign. and start it back up and keep going (easy w/man.) just don't do it going around a corner, no power steering while off.
    Until someone figures how to find the bad one I for one can't afford to replace them all. I wish there was an aftermarket one :mad2:

Mark

9. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Step one: find car with warranty
    Step two: swap sensors
    Step three: bring warranty car to dealership

10. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I like it, I like it :devil:

11. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    WARNING: MINI CARNAGE

DON'T LOOK IF YOU'RE SQUEAMISH

A friend's MINI caught a curb at a bad angle.

My question is this: is that blue clip the wheel sensor?

[​IMG]

12. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I guess nobody knows, I know I don't :confused5:.
    Mark

p.s. used to live in Sanford :eek6: