Flu shots or not

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by lotsie, Nov 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I have never had a flu shot. I seldom get sick, 1 or 2 colds a year, the odd digestive ailment.

I've had a "cold" for the past week, lots of snot, hacking, general malaise. Laid around for a couple of days, but going about my normal business now.

When does a cold become the flu? When is it pork related? Should we all just let things run their course, and let a natural culling of the herd happen?

Mark

2. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    What is the difference between a cold and the flu?

The flu and the common cold are both respiratory illnesses but they are caused by different viruses. Because these two types of illnesses have similar flu-like symptoms, it can be difficult to tell the difference between them based on symptoms alone. In general, the flu is worse than the common cold, and symptoms such as fever, body aches, extreme tiredness, and dry cough are more common and intense. Colds are usually milder than the flu. People with colds are more likely to have a runny or stuffy nose. Colds generally do not result in serious health problems, such as pneumonia, bacterial infections, or hospitalizations.
    How can you tell the difference between a cold and the flu?

Because colds and flu share many symptoms, it can be difficult (or even impossible) to tell the difference between them based on symptoms alone. Special tests that usually must be done within the first few days of illness can be carried out, when needed to tell if a person has the flu.
    What are the symptoms of the flu versus the symptoms of a cold?

In general, the flu is worse than the common cold, and symptoms such as fever, body aches, extreme tiredness, and dry cough are more common and intense. Colds are usually milder than the flu. People with colds are more likely to have a runny or stuffy nose. Colds generally do not result in serious health problems, such as pneumonia, bacterial infections, or hospitalizations.

CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Q & A: Cold Versus Flu

3. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    So when I had strep throat about 10 years ago, this was brought on by,"what" flu, or cold?

Mark

4. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Define "EXTREME TIREDNESS" to me. Is it after working 30 straight hours of physical labour, or does it occur when I need to use my brain, a lot, ciphering hard to build things? Or do I just have the cold/flu?

Mark

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I don't get flu shots and I'll certainly not be getting the N1H1 shot.

Why you ask?

Well for the most part I am antisocial. Working from home I'm not exposed to lots of people. Living alone and keeping most people at arms length also limits my exposure. Being mildly agoraphobic helps too since I avoid malls and tend to shop either online or off peak hours.

Living in my own little bubble keeps me healthy...

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    .......I on the other hand have to work with folks outside all day long and my wife is immuno-suppressed so I have to get them each year. No problems for the last 7 yrs worth of shots.

7. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I tend to work in large open indoor spaces, like scene shops, stages, arenas . There is a lot of close physical contact, along with either being on the road, or being surrounded by folks who are on the road. Sick individuals could be anywhere, but not going into work is just not done, unless your likely to puke on someone.

Mark

8. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I'm not going to bother. When you consider that 1 per 100,000 people can have a severe reaction to the flu vaccine and that the vacinne itself is only about 80% effective at preventing H1N1 infection, I just don't think its worth the risk. I suffer from asthma so I do hope I don't get H1N1, but I'm not getting the shot. One of my sons, who's had a lung collapses on seperate occasions, decided to get the shot. For him I think me made the right decision.

Some useful FAQ stuff from our (Canadian) government website

General Information - H1N1 flu virus - Public Health Agency of Canada

9. oh dang you really meant it when you suggested i live in a bubble in the healthcare thread lol.

10. i havent gotten a flu vaccine since october 2008, and i havent had the flu in a few years, probably around half a decade. i get a flu vaccine every year even though i dont think its really necessary. just stay clean the best you can, wash your hands, your face, shower daily and wear clean clothes.

i havent gotten my H1N1 vaccine and, since my health insurance terminated on halloween, i cant lol. but im not sick, havent been seriously sick in forever, so i think ill be fine :cool:

oh and btw i work with food and dough, cuz i work at cinnabon
    :cornut:

11. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I get a normal flu shot every year. I come into contact with lots of people, in lots of different locations, and shake a lot of hands in my profession (no, I'm not a politician).

I also have two school-age kids, and the schools are a giant petri dish. They bring home EVERYTHING that's going around. My kids get the flu mist. My wife gets the shot with me.

We had (we're pretty sure) the H1N1 in our house a few weeks back. I felt generally crappy and just wanted to lay around for a couple of days... ten was kinda draggin for a week, but otherwise was fine. My 12 year old missed 4 days of school. He's usually pretty chipper and rebounds from things fast. This was the worst I've ever seen him feel. My wife had it and was definitely the sickest I've ever seen her in 25 years. She laid around and was too weak to get up and do anything for about 4 days, and felt generally crappy for another week. My 9 year old felt a little crummy for 1 day.

This was before the H1N1 vaccine was widely available in our area. And when available, was in insufficient quantities for folks my and my wife's ages to get shots, because we're in the "lower risk of complications" group. I'm also still waiting for my FEMA trailer to be delivered. But I'm sure the government will do a much better job on this universal healthcare thing. What could go wrong? ;)

Personally, I don't like shots, but I think the flu shot makes sense. It costs me nothing (at least directly) because my employer sponsors flu shot clinics with our insurer. I've never had an adverse reaction, nor know anyone who has. And, with the exception of the H1N1 this year, my family has been flu-free for a decade, while many around us have been ailing.

12. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Wow talk about the power of suggestion. As soon as I read Cinnabon, I instantly had a craving for a cinnamon roll :crazy:

13. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    If Cinnabon had flu shots in that flavor, I guarandamtee that Nathan would get one.

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    You are wrong.... :D

In the 2 times I was forced to visit a mall in the past 3 years to deal with the iPhone at the Apple store the most direct entrance is through the food court. There is a Cinnabon in there that I zipped by 4 times. 2 times on the way in, 2 times on the way out.

For one thing they are way overpriced.

Then there is the fact I can't stand the darn things...

I never dawdle at the Mall. I hate going there, to many people. When i have to go I look up the location of the store online and plot the most efficient course to get there, handle my business and escape.

Nothing irks me more at these palaces of greed than the couple tottering along with a youngster in tow taking up the entire path. You know the type. She's pushing the stroller yet the kid between them holding a hand of both mommy and daddy. Worse than getting stuck behind a trailer pulling a double wide down a 2 lane...:mad2:

15. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    #15 BlimeyCabrio, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
    I've seen you at my mall.

OK, somebody just like you.

Jeez... you people are WEIRD. Same category and bag ladies and crazy cat ladies in my book. ;)

16. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Me too. But when I go to Harbor Freight, for just one item, I need to look at/touch everything in the store:lol:

Mark

17. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don't like the shopping aspect of the mall, but I like people watching. Most crowds don't really bother me, unless... example: entering a Harley Davidson store with a sport bike friend to "look at" the single Buel among 75 bikes they had at the shop. He wore all of his obvious sport bike gear, and parked his motorcycle next to all the Harleys outside. Everyone in the store was eying us, waiting for us to steal something or utter some remark that would justify them beating us up. I was never so interested in chrome.

Flu related, I had H1N1 according to a local clinic. Felt really bad the first day, better the next two, then way way down the rest of the week. I could hardly move, had a headache and fever too. Only tossed my cookies once.

18. thulchatt

thulchatt New Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I get the flu shot each year and have gotten the H1N1.
    I am an administrator for a large medical group so I see a lot of data on the H1N1. Most people who are getting it are having normal flu reactions. However some are having very bad reactions. Very health people are dying. So far there is no way to know if you will have a "mild" reaction or have a more sever reaction.

My advice to everyone is get the H1N1, if not for yourself for the people you care about so you don't give it to them.

I also had my three kids vaccinated.

19. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Paul is that category "web site founders/crazy cat ladies" ?

20. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    yep. and I meant "bag ladies"... damn fingers don't work anymore. ;)

We love you Nathan. really. :yesnod:

And lotsie... soooooo true about Harbor Freight. Their monstrously huge distribution center is a couple hours south of my house on I-95.

HF.jpg

I drive by it when on the way to meetings in Columbia SC. It's in the middle of nowhere, but has their flagship retail store that's huge and has EVERYTHING. OMG, I have a cheapchinesetoolgasm everytime I go in there. Luckily there's only so much stuff I can haul home in the cabrio.