2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Flywheel Woes

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by thinkinmini, Mar 25, 2012.

Tags:
  1. thinkinmini

thinkinmini New Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Does this flywheel need to be replaced? I'm thinking it does, which is going to be quite expensive I'm sure. I just don't have any experience in determining if it's badly damaged but it does have many hairline cracks around the outside of the contact surface. Any thoughts on the cheapest place to get one?

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
  2. Soap

Soap New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    CFO of Elgersma Inc, my 8month old is the CEO!
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My experience is replace it. You have her opened already and if you dont replace it, it will eat at you until it is replaced. Yeah, it may not be fun to fork over the money now, but I think the piece of mind is worth it imho. Esspecially, if it avoids a costly repair down the road.

3. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    As far as I know, the only non-OEM available is the OS Giken unit that only comes with a complete clutch kit.

4. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Bummer, I didn't see the cracks in the smaller pic. If it's got cracks I'd replace it, but they aren't cheap.

5. czar

czar New Member

Mar 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    That flywheel is now scrap, that said, you should always replace the DMF every time you replace your clutch, they are a non serviceable item, and a one time use only with every clutch pack.

That flywheel is produced by GAT, and they were bought out by ZF Sachs, and ZF Sachs do a performance clutch for the BMW MINI R55/56 and R57 fitted with the N14 Gasoline engine and the W16 Diesel.

Click the link below.

http://www.sachsperformance.com/Sachs-Performance-Clutch-Powerclutch/Mini/Mini-R56-09-06-/Cooper-S-128-kW-;-10/2006:::2_925_2632_2675.html

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Czar, is the included clutch bearing an improvement over the stock "plastic" bearing?

7. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I thought the OE flywheel manufacturer was Valeo.

I just saw on Fidanza's website they are working on an R56 lightwieght SMF. Looking like the $400-500 range in price given what I've seen on thier page.

8. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    That's good to see, although at current exchange rates the cost combined with a domestically sourced OEM dual mass flywheel replacement negates some of the economical advantages over aftermarket kits. I'm sure an organic disc will be easier to modulate from a stop, and when hot; those are user friendly characteristics currently not provided by an aftermarket product. With the claim of 30% higher transmittable torque, and higher clamp load of the clutch cover, I'm sure that will equate to greater pedal effort. No doubt greater clamping force will prolong friction surface life as well.

If using an off the shelf GAT flywheel, I think it's a roll of the dice if the primary mass internal mechanisms and tolerances of the DMF will have comparable service life. I recently replaced an OEM clutch kit where the flywheel had no damping remaining other than weakened springs. The secondary mass was free to rattle & clunk in all directions, this at only 30,000 miles of use. I would like to see a flywheel alternative/upgrade as well.

Looking at the photo or artist rendition, the release bearing appears unchanged. Of course the clutch disk wouldn't be sprung as in the photo either.

9. czar

czar New Member

Mar 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Valeo produce and supply the 3 piece clutch kit, GAT (ZF Sachs) produce and supply the DMF (dual mass flywheel) That said Valeo do produce a solid (single mass) conversion 4 piece complete clutch/flywheel assembly for the N14 turbo and W11 supercharged engines.

10. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Link? :drool