For MINI, it's not a quality problem, it's a quirk

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Nathan, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    By DAN STRUMPF

NEW YORK (AP) — For Mini, the maker of sporty — if sometimes eccentric — pint-sized hatchbacks, landing at the bottom of another closely watched vehicle quality study this week is almost a point of pride.

Mini says it deliberately engineers quirks into its cars, like oddly placed dashboard controls or unusual interior lighting, that drag down its ratings in such studies. But Jim McDowell, vice president of Mini's U.S. operations, said those design features are central to the brand's personality.

"Mini has some idiosyncrasies that we engineer into our cars," said Jim McDowell, vice president of Mini's U.S. operations. "We want to make our cars remarkable little cars."

If that sounds like spin, consider that Mini has been among a handful of beneficiaries in the crisis rocking the auto industry. The carmaker owned by Germany's BMW AG has seen sales fall over the last year but has snapped up market share from its bigger rivals. On Monday, it announced plans to open 17 new dealerships across the country, bringing its U.S. total to 100, while Detroit automakers are shuttering locations.

Still, Mini has been dogged by par to sub-par performance in recent quality studies. On Monday, the automaker finished dead last in J.D. Power & Associates' annual initial quality study. The marketing and consulting company ranked 37 nameplates based on car buyers' responses about their first 90 days of ownership. Toyota's Lexus brand placed first.

In the same study last year, Mini was second from the bottom, followed only by Chrysler's Jeep brand, and it came in below average in J.D. Power's study of long-term reliability this year. However, Consumer Reports placed Mini's vehicles slightly above the middle of the pack in its annual reliability survey published in April.

Dave Sargent, J.D. Power's vice president of automotive research, said the firm does not reveal the problems owners reported with individual brands or cars. However, the top five problems reported in the overall study were wind noise, air conditioner or heater control problems, interior scuffing, audio control problems and brake noise.

In other words, the problems that many car owners are reporting these days are relatively minor and often concern oddities that perturb drivers rather than fundamental defects with the performance of the car.

"The term 'low quality' or 'lowest in quality' is like saying the poorest person living in Beverly Hills," said Karl Brauer, editor in chief of the auto Web site Edmunds.com. "I think the differences in the best and worst cars are, in the real-world experiences of most customers, almost imperceptible."

McDowell attributed Mini's poor performance in J.D. Power's most recent study to design quirks like the windshield wiper control. In the Mini, it's a button that presses rather than a knob that turns. Its cars feature adjustable ambient light colors — not an option you're likely to find in your standard Dodge Ram pickup.

Sargent said frustration with unusual parts or features is common when vehicles like the Mini are designed and produced overseas for foreign tastes, then imported to the U.S.

"Some of the things that appeal to European consumers don't necessarily have the same appeal to U.S. consumers," Sargent said.

Still, Mini has fared relatively well in the battered U.S. auto market, which has been crippled by the recession, tighter lending standards and tumbling home values. For the first five months of the year, the brand sold 16,780 vehicles in the U.S., down 21 percent from the same period last year.

But the entire U.S. auto market is down 37 percent during the same period, and Mini has picked up about a tenth of a percent of market share as a result.

Mini remains a niche player. Japan's Toyota Motor Corp., by contrast, sold more than 600,000 vehicles through May this year. Its sales are down about 39 percent for the period.

Mini has set a goal of improving its annual sales by "double-digit" percentages starting in 2011 from its peak in 2008 of 54,077 vehicles sold.

"We think that the United States' society is changing fundamentally, that people are more open to small cars than they were before," McDowell said.

If McDowell is right, Mini is in a good place. It is one of few automakers that have cultivated a reputation for small, fuel-efficient cars that still retain a sporty feel. Minis are not geared toward economy buyers, but the lowest-end Mini Cooper starts at less than $20,000, placing it within reach of many shoppers.

Even if McDowell is wrong about Americans wanting small cars, consumers may not have much of a choice. The Obama administration last month announced new standards that dramatically raise the industry's fuel economy over the next decade. The new standards are likely to be a challenge for the Detroit Three. Not so for Mini, most of whose vehicles already average at least 30 mpg.

At the same time, consumers and industry experts expect the price of gas to continue rising and small cars to continue to supplant trucks and SUVs as consumers' car of choice. Competitors like General Motors Corp. and Chrysler Group LLC — known more for their hulking SUVs than nimble fuel-sippers — have plans to launch new small cars in the coming years.

"It's interesting to me that the car of the future may be a lot like the Mini Cooper Clubman today," McDowell said, referring to the roomiest version of the car.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

2. MININIGEL

MININIGEL New Member

May 4, 2009
    Teacher/Coach
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like that article better than the initial one just announcing dead last in quality!!! :crazy: All of us MINIacs know how great our little cars are!!:D

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  4. Arch-r

Arch-r New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Nathan,
    The truth is obvious to those of us who have MINI(s). The cutesy little features are just signature items to have fun with. However the real fun is the driving. I have never had so much fun with any of my other small cars. Of course I am a die hard 1st gen owner with an MC 05 and an MSC 05. If you want a luxury ride with all the creature comforts you buy a luxury ride $$$$$.
    If you want a fun car that's an absolute blast to own and drive......MINI! is there any other choice? Not for me! It ranks the top position on all my lists.

My name is Dean, and MINI is always on top of the DEAN'S LIST

5. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    "We want to make our cars remarkable little cars."

Ha ha--careful choice of words. :cornut:

Yep, my MINI is ~6 years old and I can't wait to see where the rattle moves to next. :lol:

6. FERNO

FERNO New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry, but I cannot refrain from posting in this thread any longer.

SRS light on because of corrosion in the BST.
    Tire pressure light no longer resets.
    ABS and DSC lights are on.
    LCAB's failing every 30K miles.

They may call it quirky. My wife calls it a piece.

I cannot wait to eliminate all this heavy crap that seemingly does nothing other than set warning lights. Not exclusive to Mini, obviously, but don't call it "quirky" when the dealer says $1000 to replace the positive battery cable to fix the airbag light. Yeah right...

As soon as I have the time and money, the Mini will undergo a Ryan-style weight reduction plan. FN BS.

7. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Ferno, sounds like you have CAN bus issues...

8. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    FERNO, if you know how to eliminate these sensors and still have the systems function PLEASE let me know. I'm real tired of resetting every time "Chili" hits a bump in the road and decides to have the lights come on :mad2:. I swear she has a mind of her own :eek:ut:.

Mark

9. FERNO

FERNO New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nah. SRS is BST corrosion.
    DSC and ABS is a damaged wheel speed sensor wire. Belt exploded and took the wiring with it. Will fix shortly. Possibly affecting TPM also.

putterfarm, I am researching this subject and plan to put as much elimination into effect as I can when I get the info/time/money.

10. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    If you have a bad wheel speed sensor... that explains the tire pressure light also.

11. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Paul, what do I do to find out if this is my problem :confused:. Do I have to go to the dealer and get ripped off or can I just put up with it?
    BTW, where abouts in N.C. do you live ? We used to live in New Bern & Sanford.

Mark

12. harry0

harry0 New Member

May 6, 2009
    News photographer
    Virginia Beach Virginia
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm a very content 1st generation Cooper owner. I purchased a November 06 build in May of 2007 in the past 25 months I have put 57,000 miles on the clock The MINI experience for me has been tops. this amazing little car goes and goes and will give me hundreds of thousands of miles of Joy.

13. Aeromax

Aeromax New Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Graphic designer
    Trumbull, CT
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Man I don't know if I'm lucky or what, but my car is an 02, I'm the third owner, and it has 96k on the clock. Other than items that were more or less my fault- idler pulley bearing exploding (I took the car on a distance drive just after buying it, the pulley was making noise which I should have paid attention to, and it crapped the bed leaving us at the mercy of the tow truck.) and a loose positive battery cable, which was my fault for not tightening properly, my car hasn't had a any major problems with it over the 40,000 miles I've been driving it. *knocks on wood quickly* Granted I have ZERO options on the car, so there is less gadgety stuff to break, but I'm impressed and amazed at how the car has held up. But also, I didn't buy it for comfort or quality. I bought it for fun, and I look past the rattles and squeaks.

14. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Aeromax

I'll knock on wood for you :cornut: and for me and my '03 w/65k :D.