1st Gen R53 Cooper S For my next trick: Water Methanol Injection

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by c0op3r, Nov 14, 2013.

1. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    For my next upgrade I am working on Water/Meth injection, this is something pretty new to me. I just finished the Brake Upgrade; did you read my article(s)?

R53 Front Brakes: A Detailed Look
    R53 Better than JCW / Factory Rear Brakes

I will not get much done on this project this week, as I am headed to the Dragon tomorrow (wish me luck). I am going to test out my brake upgrade, on the DRAGON!

But what I have going on so far is the following parts acquired:

CoolingMist Progressive System w/
    • Float Sensor
    • Flow Sensor
    • 200 PSI Pump
    • 1 Gallon Tank
    DevilsOwn Inline Filter
    DevilsOwn Tank Connection w/ Filter
    DevilsOwn 2 Quart Tank
    OEM Intercooler Exit Horn

I am still banging around where I want to install the system in the rear/boot or in the lower section of the CAI (for the pump) and use the Headlight Washer Tank.

The Controller for the CoolingMist is a 52mm gauge, so I will be building a gauge pod for the A-Pillar, it will house:

CoolingMist Controller
    Innovate Wide Band
    AEM Water/Meth Failsafe

Water Meth injection is VERY new to me, and I welcome any information about it so please feel free to comment, in the end I will create a write-up for my install.

Attached Files:

2. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Good luck with the project, but you lost me with Devil's own. I'd go Howerton, but that's just me.

3. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Only things from DevilsOwn is a jug and inline filter, the Kit is from CoolingMist. CoolingMist wants 50 for the same jug that DevilsOwn get 15 for, which place would you buy the jug?

I would Love a Howerton, but dont have the 1k$ to throw at this project for the KIT ALONE. I will still have to do a Tune (already have the RMW remote tune box) and Dyno time when this is done.

Also I got the CoolingMist kit for an extremely good price, So I figure i will experiment with this and if its amazing move up, if its only OK then I did not do badly.

4. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    That's cool. It just that if you're ever tuning for meth, you'll be better off with Howerton's kit; it's going to be that much safer for your engine, especially if you go 100% meth, if you're going 50/50 it probably doesn't matter much. I'm probably going to wind up with W2A instead of Meth, depending on the TVS 900.

5. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    I am going 50/50 even the Howerton Pump is not rated for 100%. I know this as my friend Ian - (Maitland Importers) race car was the test mule for the Howerton Mini setup and he killed the system/pump by going 100%.

I am only after that bit of extra boost @ WOT, and a better octane at partial boost.

On a side note, :devil:DevilsOwn:devil: can not be beat for system parts, prices are great, and service is amazing. I lost a rubber foot for my pump, in my order I asked them if they might have any and said if they would just put it in the shipment, I would gladly send whatever they requested.

Well got my order only two days later and low and behold there was the foot, NO CHARGE!

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Good luck with your Meth project. I went with the Howerton kit and it was worth the money to run 100% VP M1 meth and have been running it for years without any issues.

I also had have Jan /RMW tune my car for 100% because you really won't gain much power from a 50/50 mix.

The Howerton pump is made by Aquamist and will work fine running 100 % they just have to say they do not recommend 100% for warranty reasons.

7. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Where is your Storage Jug at?

I may end up making a Howerton Style housing for the rear on mine.

8. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    In the trunk / boot on the drivers side and it holds about a gallon.

I also take a 5 gal VP jug to the Dragon because we run all week you never want to runout of Meth when you run race fuel. :devil::ihih:

Also meth helps start nice Bon fires at night. :mad5: :lol: with the aide of Sterno. :cornut:

9. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    FWIW... I've gone the Devil's Own route. If you are running very small amounts of spray for supplemental cooling only, and not tuning to be dependent on it, it's fine. But you WILL go through a number of pumps, solenoids, etc over time. I've been running mine several years now. Not unhappy that I did it, but it's not a once-and-done mod for most folks who go that route... The Howerton system takes much more of a systems approach. You get what you pay for either way, just understand the differences.

10. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Gauge Cluster

So here here is what I have on the gauge cluster so far:

I got an extra A-Pillar Panel, and mounted three pieces of PVC tube to the part.

Attached Files:

11. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    I fiber-glassed it in for the basic shape and then bondo'ed over that to make it smooth:

I have for the gauges:

• Innovate Wide Band
    • The CoolingMist Controller

and I an thinking for the third one I am going to get the AEM Water/Meth Failsafe Gauge:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Watch out for that A-Pillar Airbag or that well made gauge pod could become part of your face if you are ever in a front collision accident.

13. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    #13 c0op3r, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    Everyone loves to say that, but there is actually 2 tethers that hold that panel in place if the Airbag deploys and I plan to retain them in this install.

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    When I did mine we left the tethers in place. We also did some back of a napkin figuring moving the cover around on the tethers to check range of motion. So long as one uses the tethers there is little chance of getting smacked in the face by the pillar cover.

15. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    So was working on the install a little more today. One of the things that I absolutely HATE is Butt-Connectors, I like my wiring and installs to look like something that the factory would do.

So I took the controller apart and un-soldered all the factory wires (thats right voiding any warranty I had), I then proceeded to re-wire the controller with wire long enough to reach each termination point (aprrox 12').

Then I started to tape-wrap each group for the direct that they will go in the car:

• Power Bundle
    • Pump Power, Low Water Sensor [which now includes its own power group]
    • Vacuum Line & Map Sensor Wire

I will finish the tape-wrap to length once it is installed.

Photo below.

Attached Files:

16. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    You can rewire my car when you're done :D

17. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    I am actually really really good at it, I was a mobile electronic installer for about 10 years, and am also a bit OCD.

That being said if its not going to be done right its not going to be done at all!

18. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Drilled and Tapped Feed Horn

I Drilled & Tapped the Feed Horn (Exit Side) of the intercooler tonight for the Water/Meth Jet:

See Photos

Attached Files:

19. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Fuse Block and Relay

So the Fuse Blocks and Relay showed up today so I can get the power termination points in place today.

One Block will be for Switched and the other is for Constant, I will use the relay to make switched have plenty of current without taxing an existing circuit.

I will post a photo once its installed.

Attached Files:

20. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Installed the Circuit:

Top Block is Constant
    Bottom is Switched the controls the current