2nd Gen R60 Countryman Forge launches Mini R60 Countryman dump valves

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Nathan, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    PR Release 22nd June 2011

[IMGL]http://www.easier.com/uploads/cache/thumbs/0/9/1/070/200x200/55393/forge-mini-dump-valve.jpg[/IMGL]Gloucestershire-based Forge motorsport has launched an impressive pair of dump valves for the new R60 Mini Countryman; A vent-to-atmosphere ‘Blow Off’ valve and a recirculation valve. Both have been beautifully designed and precision CNC machined to offer a direct replacement for the OEM parts.

Each unit is entirely hand-fabricated by Forge’s time-served craftsmen here in the UK, and uses motorsport-quality materials and fabrication methods to create a unit which is both hugely effective and aesthetically pleasing at the same time.

These valves take into account the car’s electronically controlled bypass valves, where fitted, and are recommended where the car’s boost pressure has been increased by an ECU software upgrade or simply for those wanting an improved Blow off sound, a more efficient operation, or simply as a solution to the many failures that have occurred.

The most common complaint on the OEM solenoid valve is a split diaphragm preventing the valve from opening fully, or not at all. This doesn’t always result in a check engine light, as the valve can still be blown open by the boost pressure. Forge’s engineers have seen many valves with this problem during testing. The other common problem is that the diaphragm retaining ring is made from very thin plastic that goes brittle with heat cycles, and eventually fails. This may prevents the diaphragm from sealing correctly, causing the same problems as mentioned above. This particular failure has also been known to result in the valve falling apart upon removal from the turbo, though in extreme cases, bits of plastic can enter the turbo and destroy it.

Forge’s alternative is a fully engineered solution offering both significantly improved reliability .The new vales are piston based, with no internal diaphragm to fail. Being of all aluminium construction, it replaces the original unit with a pressure/vacuum operated piston valve that still also retains the desirable OEM ECU control over valve actuation. This design of valve has been proved on the VAG scene for many years. The spring is interchangeable for different levels of boost, and the solenoid is ‘plug and play’ with the wiring harness which is included.

Priced from just £189.79 including VAT, the Forge valves looks as well as they perform. An essential upgrade for any Countryman!

2. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    That was fast. VIP already has an exhaust for the R60 that they tell me is selling fast.

Jim

3. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
  4. threar

threar New Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Installed mine a couple days ago. Really liking the response on the car with the change. Had a couple mods to make on the install (electrical connection wasn't quite right) and had to get creative about placement of the solenoid, but otherwise install was smooth.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    :useless

Someone had to...

6. threar

threar New Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Heh, when I get back home (away for the weekend) I'll post some pics. Sorry to disappoint for now.

7. threar

threar New Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My blog write up is here. As for a pic:

[​IMG]

and side by side:

[​IMG]

8. LASRGUY

LASRGUY New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Laser Scientist
    Newbury Park, CA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have one on my R56. I'm happy with it overall. I did have a problem a couple months ago. I was getting fluctuations in boost under load. Traced it to the threaded ring on this valve being loose. Seems like it can loosen up over time due to thermal cycling and vibration. If it gets loose, it can affect the MAP sensor reading. I recommend checking it periodically to make sure it is tight.