Forgive me MINI owners.....

Discussion in 'Roadkill and other Musings' started by mrminimmel, Apr 22, 2011.

1. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    "Forgive me..." MINI owners for I have passed other cars in a no passing zone. I hope I haven't besmirched the fair reputation of our group. I just got back from a wonderful drive up into the mountainous area east of Phoenix. Going east up to the lakes is a fantastic road that has many things we all love to drive on. Curves, corners, hairpins, scenic overlooks(that get quickly passed by), some decent straightaways that are like slaloms and a few souls driving minivans and Mercury Marquis. I just called my wife to let her know I have returned home safe and that if in the next few weeks a minivan or three pull up next to us and shake their fist, they may be the people I passed. Having a rather unique looking vehicle makes me pause to wonder if perhaps a disguise next time might be in order. I actually put no-one in danger, I simply took the opportunity to pass when it was presented. What a fun way to help start a rare three day weekend. Happy Easter.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    You are forgiven and I understand. :yesnod:

I tell my wife that those people are members of the anti-destination league. When I find them I pass them when safe to do so. Fast MINIs FTW.... :D

3. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    There is something to be said for driving a non-descript car.

Before the MINI, I drove a '97 Nissan Altima in metallic tan. Every 10th car in Dallas looked exactly like mine.

I was cruising down the left hand lane of the highway, probably going 7-10 MPG over the limit (but was going with traffic) when I crested over a hill. Suddenly the guy in front of me and the guy behind me pulled 1 lane to the right and I knew what was gonna happen. 1 second later, I saw the cop with his radar gun pointed right at me. I saw him turn on the lights and merge into traffic and I knew I was a gonner... until I looked one car to the right of me and spotted the exact same make/model car in the same color! I pulled over one lane and tucked in right behind him. The cop came flying up the left hand lane and I could see him looking back and forth between the 2 cars, trying to figure out who the speeder was. I was doing my best not to look back at him... trying to keep an 'innocent' look on my face. :D After 10-15 seconds, he gave up, turned off the lights and pulled over to fish for his next speeder.

Unfortunately, I'm not gonna get that lucky again in a fully modded MINI.

4. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    You are forgiven. I must also confess to practicing rev matching while turning and blowing the doors off of cars during my morning commute, not because I was late for work but because I could. I actually had a co-worker say, "I saw you driving on the Beltline, you were speeding." To which I said, "Yeah, I generally do.":devil:
    Yes, fast MINIs FTW!!!!! And they do get nailed by the cops.

5. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    I tend to be aggressive when I drive (or so my wife says) I will admit I kinda have a short fuse when it comes to people driving stupid or talking on their cell phone, I used to display the California hello quite a bit. I have since toned it down quite dramatically because there are only 5 or 6 MINI's in town and only one that looks like mine. I am afraid someone that I have given a piece of my mind while driving will see my car sitting somewhere around town and take revenge out on her.

But on the highway or out of town all is fair....:D

6. RllyDrvrIX

RllyDrvrIX New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Forgiven...

7. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    abbreviation question

Someone clue me in on what FTW means. My years in the cabinetshop tells me its a term I wouldn't want my students using. What is it?

8. jcauseyfd

jcauseyfd New Member

May 25, 2009
    Graham, NC
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    You're safe. FTW = for the win

9. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

Identify the source of that quotation and win a free look of astonishment from someone who doesn't know.

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Give me something hard will ya..

George Carlin...

11. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Yes I have noticed that most times I drive.

Sounds like a George Carlin to me. :)

12. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Missed fame & fortune by 2 minutes.... DOH!!!

Nathan you have fast fingers.:Thumbsup: My new opposable thumbs screwed me up again.

13. BoCRon

BoCRon Active Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Milton, GA USA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    #13 BoCRon, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
    Driving a MINI has actually made me a more polite driver because I can be easily identified. I worked in the clinic at the local elementary school when I first got El Kabong and he was always parked front and center at the school, plus I had a big picture on the wall in the clinic from a Road Atlanta DE. All the kids and parents knew El Kabong, so I had to be very polite driving around town, kind of a buzz kill :D.
    Now I have Mozart, the blacked out stealth MINI, and I don't work at the school anymore so all bets are off :sosp:. (jk)

Annette

14. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I live in a small town, with one stop light and two resident Sheriff Deputies on duty all the time. I have the ONLY MINI, so I have no choice but to be law abiding. :(

Jim

15. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Well Jim.....
    If I were you, I'd be getting both of them donut gift cards. :D

16. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Better yet, let them take your Mini for a spin. They'll then be fully infected by the virus.:Thumbsup:

Jason:popcorn:

17. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Glad some of you had fun with the challenge. The coveted look of astonishment goes to Nathan. I hope it doesn't keep him awake nights. Some looks can be disturbing.

18. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    You are forgiven- I have been guilty if this as well. :biggrin5:

19. LosOsosS

LosOsosS New Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Los Osos, CA...near San Luis Obispo
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    In the George Carlin theme...

How about his bit about the suction cup darts and idiot drivers.

...to paraphrase: If everyone was armed with a dart shooter and kindly tagged the offending drivers, then it would be easy to spot the ones "we" should stay away from and then of course, the police would pull over and ticket anyone that had earned 3 or 4 "stupidity" darts.

Sadly, a MINI just wouldn't hold enough ammo to keep me stocked. :wink:

I do live in a California college town with a very heavy tourist industry, so there are plenty of those type of drivers! :frown2:

20. david in germany

david in germany New Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I was on my way home one day (autobahn) when a convoy of BMWs with blue lights flossing jumped on behind me. I get over and let them pass ( polizei special Comandos) in each car was 4 guys wearing ski masks to conceal their identities. I then realized they were cursing along at a speed UNDER the speed o wanted to drive. I jumped back into the left lane behind them and they finally moved out of my way. I slowly creeped up to the lead car, looked the dude in the eyes, sport button, gone.. No one else dared to pass them lol. I lost site of them in about 2 minutes. It is nice sometimes not having a speed limit. :)