FOTD - Fail of the Dragon

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon 7 (April 29 - May 3, 2009)' started by MINIBee, May 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. MINIBee

MINIBee New Member

May 4, 2009
    Senior Video Producer, St. Petersburg Times
    Tampa, FL
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    #1 MINIBee, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
    At MOTD this year I was startled by the number of people in the MINI community who were constantly crossing the double yellow line. Usually I drive the Dragon watching for bikers over the line. This year, I was watching for MINIs.

These photos, taken from the Killboy, Moonshine and Zee Foto web sites (plus one video by MINIBee), were all made during MOTD 7. On the first day we heard reports that a MINI had crossed the line and forced a biker off the road. Are you shocked? Appalled? Keep watching and you'll see many examples of FOTD - Fail of the Dragon.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efjzfx72BWc"]YouTube - FOTD - Fail of the Dragon[/ame]

Sure, some people may see these photos who were unaware they were crossing the line. If that's you, this is your wakeup call. But when you look at many of the photos it's clear people are intentionally crossing the center line.

Is this what we stand for as a community? We curse the bikers for crossing the line and then we go out and do it ourselves? The challenge and the honor in driving the Dragon at a spirited pace comes when you do it between the lines. Anyone can ride down the center of the road and do it fast. Come on people, lives are at stake here.

If you are in one or more of the photos (or video) I make no apologies. They are public record and you knew the photos were being made. I'm sure this will be controversial but I'm hoping through constructive discussion some good will come from it.

2. Big Daddy

Big Daddy New Member

May 5, 2009
    Computer geek
    Windsor, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In years past, MINI owners have gained much respect from the local biker and sports cars enthusiasts for their consideration and respect for the rules of the road. I fear we may have lost some of that respect. Epic fail!

3. Mol

Mol New Member

May 5, 2009
    self employed
    In front of the computer
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    SHAMEFUL! If you can't stay in your lane don't drive the road.
    [​IMG]

4. StLouieLo

StLouieLo New Member

May 5, 2009
    RN
    Midcoast
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    It's sad:frown2: This was one of the reasons we did not go this year. We did not want to become a statistic. We saw so many drivers last year on the Dragon who were reckless & unconcerned about other drivers & the bikers. This would have been my 6th Dragon. We missed seeing everyone but did not miss the crazy driving.

5. Squirlz

Squirlz New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    We're getting more noobs every year who think they know how to drive, and they just aren't aware of the dangers. We didn't drive much during MOTD for just this reason.

6. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    If you are behind or in front of someone who is crossing make sure you take the time to tell them. It is as much our responsibility as anyones. They can cop an attitude if they like, but the community will respond if they do. Nothing like a whole village to get rid of the village idiots. :)

Also, if you feel you cant stay in your lane the speed you are going then SLOW DOWN.

7. Mol

Mol New Member

May 5, 2009
    self employed
    In front of the computer
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    This is true, it is up to us to police ourselves or the locals will start doing it for us. They WILL pull you aside if they get a chance and have a talk with you, but really, they do expect the MINIs to have it a little more together than the other car clubs.

8. Mishka

Mishka Badge Whore

May 4, 2009
    Locomotive Engineer
    Southeast Missouri
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    This is true, but I see veterans in those pics, too.

FWIW, in previous years there always seemed to be a lot of discussion on the forums about staying in your lane, driving within your limits, etc. This year those discussions seemed to be lacking. IMO, you shouldn't have to be told (over and over) to stay in your lane, but noobies may not truly understand how dangerous this road can be and it can't hurt for everyone to have a reminder.

9. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    /\ that is true... and why we must ALL be a part of the effort to keep each other in check.

10. Mol

Mol New Member

May 5, 2009
    self employed
    In front of the computer
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    OK.. how about this.....

The road is dangerous if you don't respect it!

[​IMG]

A three wheel crossed the line and hit a boat trailer. The two passengers did not survive... there are pieces of them hanging off the boat trailer.

My best friends are locals on the Dragon. This stuff is personal to me. I know too many people who have been hurt on that road due to other people's stupidity.

11. AliceCpr07

AliceCpr07 New Member

May 9, 2009
    Towson/Baltimore
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sad- and a little discouraging for those of us who havent had an opportunity to make it to the dragon yet.... :frown2:

12. Mol

Mol New Member

May 5, 2009
    self employed
    In front of the computer
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Don't be discouraged. If you have never done it, you can drive it at your own pace and you will have a great time. Please come on out and play.
    I don't drive when noobies are out because I do not want to pressure them.
    The regulars play at night to avoid slower traffic.

I'll write up an etiquette on the Dragon for next year.

13. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Crazy. :frown2:

14. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    There are a lot of other fun roads around there, too, especially for flatlanders like me.

15. Mishka

Mishka Badge Whore

May 4, 2009
    Locomotive Engineer
    Southeast Missouri
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Liked Mol said: Don't be discouraged. Just be prepared and very careful your first several times driving it.

Now that we've given you the pep talk, we expect to see you there next year.:yesnod:

16. gregd

gregd New Member

May 4, 2009
    Computer Forensics
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This was my first MOTD, actually my first MINI event. I had a blast. I read as much as I could about past MOTD's and almost everything I read made it clear that staying in your lane is a must. Even after reading all of the warnings I decided to attend the noobie orientation and drive . Cabriopilot, MiniBee, and Snooter presented the talk before the drive and then took 20 maybe 30 MINI's out on the Dragon.

I do not regret going on the noob run at all, they had photos of what can happen and they made sure everyone understood how important it is to be on your game. They also provided pointers for having a good time. I highly recommend it to anyone going to the Dragon for the first time.

Thanks for the video Jack.

Greg

17. gregd

gregd New Member

May 4, 2009
    Computer Forensics
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Don't be discouraged. Go, you will have a blast. Every MINI owner needs do it at least once. This was my first time (not my last) and I had a great time. There are lots of other twistie roads and fun to drive that are not as popular as the Dragon.

18. Edge

Edge New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Annandale, VA (near Wash. DC)
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    MINIBee - you have done a tremendous service to both the MINI community and the Dragon-area community itself. Bravo! :Thumbsup:

19. AliceCpr07

AliceCpr07 New Member

May 9, 2009
    Towson/Baltimore
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah- I've missed two dragon's in a row now- both times couldn't get off of work :nonod:

i'll keep my fingers crossed that i can go to the next one

20. HCClubman

HCClubman New Member

May 8, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0