FOTD - Fail of the Dragon

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon 7 (April 29 - May 3, 2009)' started by MINIBee, May 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. donaldj

donaldj New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I like the promotional car idea, too. Maybe some dealership could have a raffle for a free lease of the car. Gets people to sign up for the raffle, and you hand them some literature right there on the spot. Being a male, I like the idea of using some promotional models (preferably red heads) too. :devil:

But buried in a manual is not a way to get a message out there. Yes, it will be available, to those who look. Yes, in honesty, you can say it was provided.

I still think an etiquette page is the way to go, assuming no red heads are available. People are away from their TVs, getting settled into their rooms, and might just take the time to go over something handed to them that has a MINI on it and some useful info. They might have an hour to kill before meeting with friends, and might just read it!

Another idea would be a stack of complimentary place mats that the local restaurants could use during this time? While you're BSing and waiting for your food you might just read a message there.

I imagine for either of these, some vendor would be willing to pony the printing cost for some exclusive ad space on them. Nothing too distracting to take away from the important message, but maybe 20% of the print area available for ads.

D

2. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I like the place mat idea, especially at some sort of welcome meal. Maybe make it visually interesting by putting a map of the Dragon with the corners and places labeled, the etiquette guide, and some other stuff.

3. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    #83 Snooter, May 15, 2009
    Last edited: May 15, 2009
    some great ideas......don't see the a dealership or MINIUSA helping with the promotional car idea(that's just my gut feeling based on numerous past expierences) If you could find a volunteer, I do think we could get one of our grahic vendors to supply a magnetic version.

Per a suggestion on NAM I would be willing to make little yellow pieces of paper that say don't cross the line or something similar. (similar to the orange paper coupon I made for CooperCards) (I can print 4 on a 8.5" x 11" paper and cut them in 4)

Not sure if a "Etiquette Page" will get read any more than the two pages in Safety information that is already in the Welcome Guide. Again, just my opinion. That said, if someone is willing to make a "Etiquette Page" and print out a copy for each person, I'll put them in the registration bags :D (sadly it won't help the "anti-registration" crowd either)

Sadly, many of the folks that have created this issue don't think they are doing anything wrong and I not sure if anything we do will change that. But some of the above suggestion should help the folks that do care and what to better drivers and community supporters

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    T-Shirts!!

Something that evokes the don't eat the yellow snow idea with a slogan along the lines (no pun intended) of Don't Cross the Yellow Lines...

5. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I think a big part of it is the "It won't happen to me" crowd. Just look at the seat belt and drunk driving campaigns we have all heard them many many times yet people still drive drunk or without a seat belt. I am not saying we should give up but there will always be people who just don't care.

6. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    How about a "Mind the Gap" campaign? It has a British origin and can take on a double meaning in relation to Deals Gap.
    [​IMG]

7. mielnicki

mielnicki Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Barry,

I would place a statement that people must read and acknowledge before they register. Make sure people are told when they pick up their registration, and maybe send out an email to all registered persons before the event with the top 10 safety points.

I would not do anything that costs money, unless someone were to step up and sponsor. And nothing we do, now, then, or whenever is going to stop some people from crossing the double yellow.

YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID! :Thumbsup:

8. mninole

mninole Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    Photography Teacher
    Panama City, FL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I see this as a positive topic...and we had fun-fun-fun...good stories...we had fun-fun-fun.

9. MINIBee

MINIBee New Member

May 4, 2009
    Senior Video Producer, St. Petersburg Times
    Tampa, FL
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    #89 MINIBee, May 15, 2009
    Last edited: May 15, 2009
    I was thinking t-shirts too, as a reward for going on an an orientation run to prove you drove it up and back using the buddy system. Each person behind the other verifies the person in front of them did not cross on the orientation run (I'm not talking about accidental touches I'm talking about two-wheel crosses and intentional crosses) and if they make it through they "pass" and get a t-shirt saying they support the no-crossing movement. We would need a sponsor for this though.

The other thing is this...I know it's MOTD and tradition and all that but we need to emphasize MOTT (MINIs on the Twisties) more to people. Lots of great roads out there but it's always Dragon this, Dragon that. It's a great road but very technical. How about a night run on the Cherohala where you can actually look up and see moonlit mountain ranges? Or a moderate run on the Dragon and then one that is a little more brisk on the sweeping and rolling Foothills Parkway? Emphasizing the other roads will help reduce congestion on the Dragon, take the pressure off the newbs by putting them on some "starter" roads and just give people more variety.

10. MINIBee

MINIBee New Member

May 4, 2009
    Senior Video Producer, St. Petersburg Times
    Tampa, FL
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    And those people should go on the wall of shame as fair warning to all.

11. j3kidford

j3kidford Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    Pharmacist
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think that's a great idea. Personally, as a newbie, I enjoyed the other roads much more than the Dragon. The Dragon, for me, was stressful. The other roads, while they may have a few challenging turns here and there, were a lot more fun.

12. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I agree the Cherohala Skyway is a beautiful road, heck even the 28 from Fontana to deals gap was fun.

13. Mol

Mol New Member

May 5, 2009
    self employed
    In front of the computer
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    "Hellbender"

14. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thanks I had heard of the Hellbender but I didn't realize thats what it was.

15. Edge

Edge New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Annandale, VA (near Wash. DC)
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yep - it extends well past Fontana too, of course.

A lot of people also think the Dragon fun ends at the Crossroads of Time (i.e. Deal's Gap) but it's fun for another 3 miles all the way down to Tapoco Lodge! :D

16. mielnicki

mielnicki Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wylah Bald Road is one of the best in the area IMHO!

17. Mini2Go

Mini2Go New Member

May 18, 2009
    Penguins Territory
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As for the "promotional" efforts, some of the ideas floating around sound pretty good. I would only suggest that we (the MINI community) should actually consider a bigger picture. Why limit our promo efforts to just our own community? Why not take these ideas and make it our mission to campaign it to ANYONE that traverses the Dragon? More of a PSA type thing. (Think "Just Say No" or "Only YOU can prevent forest fires") I think it would be one way to give back to the region and it would help to keep us well-recieved by the locals - maybe even local law enforcement. Of course, those would just be "perks" not the real impetus behind the effort.

If we create actual merchandise (t-shirts, stickers, badges, etc.), then let's license it to Fontana, Deal's Gap, etc. Our percentage could be put into an fund to defray the annual costs for MOTD.

...I know, I know - lots of implications with money in the mix. But I'm just spit-balling my big idea. Work with me! :D

18. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    IMO.. taking on EVERYONE is like people knocking on your door with their religion. Like telling other people how to raise their kids.

Should more of the world work together to keep each other in check? Sure.. but... this is OUR community... if the Hondas, EVOs, STI, Harley's, and the like wanna be Dbags on the dragon. So be it.

But not in My house! LOL I care what my "family" looks like. We have earned respect. I am not letting a few "bad apples" spoil that.

19. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    the Subaru guys do a Dragon run every May and the organizers run a tight ship. Lane discipline and courtesy are paramount and the good folks at Killboy usually comment that the Subaru enthusiasts are better than most. There will always be bad apples in every group though.

I organize a Burger Rally every summer....we had a few too many yahoos one year....it's invite only now so I can control things better. Nothing worse than a few guys ruining the fun trying to be KIMI RÄIKKÖNEN out there on public roads

20. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    yeah nothing worse than ruining it for everyone else... oooooooo :mad5: