Most liked posts in thread: Frank Stephenson

1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Nope, my picture is not on the side of any Milk cartons.

Sorry everyone I am still here.

2. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    From what I've read about him and interviews with him. If he had continued with MINI the 2nd gen cars would have been even farther away, design wise, than the R56 or F56. More Rocket Man.

3. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Why would anyone get rid of the MINI they already have? I am never selling mine.

Heck, I still have my very first car, a 1952 MG TD.

4. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    #7 rum4, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    They can ban me if they want to don't care.

I think it's a scam.

5. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I got a PM back from "Frank" :sosp: and he asked why he should join M\A.

I said most older Modern MINI owner's and Original mini owners are on M\A.

Let's see if he joins M\A.

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Welp......

Ummmmm.....

We could always have Kris Meeke join M/A.....:D

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Ok then he did one thing right and left? Get him back NOW! :ihih:

8. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Frank Stephenson's post in response to a F56 owner asking him why he didn't like the F56:

"Hi pepper and the gang. No problem, this thread won't diasppear, I'm always checking in and will try to respond whenever anybody has a question.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the 2014 range, I only meant that, in my eyes, it doesn't take MINI any further along the path that I would expect a 3rd generation product to go.

Most critically, it's much bigger in both length and width. That's great for comfort and passenger space but for me it goes against the grain of the orginal concept...big on the inside, small on the outside. That's what gave the original and the 1st new generation their principle character. They say it's evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Well, that's the truth but where is the innovation? Seems they've taken a back seat on spending money moving the design technology forward. On my version I had to lock horns everyday to push the "impossible" single piece clamshell hood through that gave better engine bay access while intergrating the headlamps in it to eliminate the huge overslam gap (that would've been needed) between the chrome headlamp bezel and hood. Flushness was "impossible" to achieve but we managed it and the result was a look of superior quality and attention to detail. The single piece wrap-around rear quarter glass was also "impossible" to press as was the position of the "away from the tailgate gap" taillamps. There were plenty of other "impossible" design details that pushed the limits of engineering back then.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I miss seeing MINI keeping up with the times in terms of raising the design innovation bar. I love the spirited up-graded engines and improved material quality but I also wish they would've "futurized" the 2nd and 3rd generations in a more progressive way...more first impression "wow-ness" and more "how the heck did they manage to do that???" design features. In other words, push the aesthetics into a feasible concept car direction. I can't imagine Porsche 911 designers now having the chance to go crazy with a super exciting NEW form advancement, maybe that's a good thing for such an iconic car, but it sure hampers out of the box creative thinking and creative solutions. The original MINI was a revolutionary ground-breaking design. That idea should remain at the heart of the MINI design philosophy in my opinion."

Two things--it's a great post, and if it's not Frank Stephenson, someone has channeled his juju, and is doing one hell of an impersonation. I think it's real.

9. Canusrufis

Canusrufis RMW Powered R53
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    well stated Dave.

The entire reason I decided to own a R53... its not the fastest car (yet) but when driven its an extension of you. You feel the motor, the wheels on the road, the feedback. When it breaks or needs maintenance its feasible given an attitude to learn what is and is not in your capabilities. I've not owned mine long but will likely own it forever.

10. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    There is a whole crop of R53 / R56 potential customers, that at some point, would consider buying a new MINI if they would just get the design right....

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I am not getting rid of my R53 and I would NEVER buy another MINI again unless it was an 05-06 or Original GP.

The new cars do nothing for me and are not "special" in anyway except overpriced and full of stuff I don't want.

12. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Golf R, Civic Type R, or Ford Focus RS, BRZ Sti (if it actually happens), for me....If any of those make it to the USA, I will take a long look, when/if it's time to let go of the MINI. If they don't, I would look at a spec Miata, or Miata that I could mod to 275-300WHP.

Once I get my car on the track this year, if it's still running well, and hopefully it will, that will hopefully be awhile.

13. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Cars wear out. I love mine, but it does require TLC, and a MINI isn't exactly an easy car to work on. To replace one part, you have to remove three others to get there. I still love the car, and it may last me forever. If it doesn't, an easier to maintain car, like a Miata, with easy to find, cheap replacement parts would be very tempting. Guys do jobs on the Miata, and it takes them an hour. The same job on the Mini may take four times that.

But if I put a TVS in the MINI, I'd try to make it run forever, warts and all.

14. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    You don't have to pay road tax for a bean burrito!:rolleyes:

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Invite him here please.

I can't, but if you use a service such a bitly or another URL shortener service you can get a link going to M/A. Till you get caught and banned.

16. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Not really, we are trying to Kill the car so they make a better looking one that is a MINI.

Its ok now though since MINI sales are showing what we all were saying.

17. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    #17 cct1, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    Drew is black or white, I don't see him with the ability to pull it off. It may very well be a hoax, and if so, like I wrote in my post over there, he will be relegated for driving a Smart car for the rest of his life and afterwards.

On the other hand, maybe it was Drew, to sort out who all would send PM's referring him to MA, therefore allowing for a whole new batch of lifetime bans...

I so want to pm Drew to definitively find out if this is real or not--if it is, someone from NAM should be all over this; it's huge. If it isn't, they should lock it down. It's the one reason I'm skeptical; this should be front page on NAM, if it was MF, it would an exclusive.

18. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Just read it.....I call "bull shirt"

19. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Pretty civil dialog over on NAM, I hope he joins up over here, but I will follow that thread for a bit and see where it goes.

If it is a scammer, he does his research well. :)

Don

20. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Whatz Facebook? :smile5: