Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Front Sway Bars?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by wzabrouski, Aug 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. 00zero

00zero New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Engineer
    Pittsburgh. Pa
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    dang it.

I just did my front control brushing now i want a front bar after reading this.

:frown2:

-Jonathan

2. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If you've dropped the sub-frame once...

it's a much easier job the next time out. If you really want one, just order it up, drop that subframe, and have at it!

Matt

3. 00zero

00zero New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Engineer
    Pittsburgh. Pa
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    don't tempt me like that :lol:

4. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    I wanted to thank Greg Onasled Racing for taking notice and pm'ing me with a concern and question about my suspension with regards to my MINI. The suspension is one aspect that I am still learning about at least having to do with Minis for improved handling. My background with suspension is in the area of experience for 1/4 mile Drag Racing vehicles. I have in the past acquired complete tried and tested suspension packages such as Gulstrand for my Street/Auto-x Camaro's Guldstrand Motorsports .
    What Greg noticed was how my plates were positioned? Apparently MEGAN Racing's labeling of my camber plates reversed the proper location for a normal correct installation. Alignment is a contracted work through a local shop that also has many many Auto -X and Track customers.. They never noticed the discrepancy and aligned my front end without a mention of the plates ? I may have continued to drive with it like this if Greg had not taken the time to examine my posted pictures so carefully? My acknowledgment to his knowledge and expertise with MINI suspension and appreciation for not posting public to what may have been an embarrassing situation. This really shows what forums should be all about. M/A a community of MINI enthusiasts helping each other sharing the wealth of information and experience to everyone.

Thank you again Greg. :Thumbsup:

5. HRM

HRM New Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I think many people don't know enough about what characteristic they want to change before they start swapping parts. Adding things just to say they have them is not uncommon.

For a front bar. What are you trying to change? Understeer? OK, now when. At low speed quick turns? Fast sweepers? or late braking? at what tire pressures? With what alignment?

My point is a change does many things, and tire pressures can often do the similar things. A bigger bar isn't automatically better. If the fastest curves someone drives is an exit ramp, again one has to ask "am I braking, or coasting, or accelerating?" Once a characteristic of a car is noticed that needs to be changed, and all adjustments have been tried, replacing a part is a good idea.

Just putting in a part might not be.

Once you know what you want to change, and everything else has been tried, the front bar is the next step. It isn't the first step though in my book.

6. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    #66 minimark, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
    Yep exactly why it's good to make changes one thing at a time if we really want to understand each thing and what it does. There is usually more than one way to make the desired effect and where and when we need that change is as important as the change itself...

It's also very important not to listen to just anyone's advice, they may in reality have less knowledge and experience than we do..

2cents

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    ^+1
    Parts are cool, but money spent at a HPDE will extract more performance. Once driving skills are mastered then start modifying. Lots of very good info about & a lot of carp too. Proceed with caution.