FRS/GMRS radio recomendations

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RonsMinnie, Apr 2, 2010.

1. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Need to get a FRS/GMRS radio and looking at the Motorola MR350.

What to do you recommend?

Thanks--

2. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Ron,

Have a set of Motorola's with I think 25mi range. They certainly don't get that kind of coverage but for Rally's talking car to car they work just great. Had them up in the Dragon last fall with all the hills and worked fine.

Tip-there really is a diff in range where you place radio. Rig that worked best was to use the belt clip and attach the radio to the upper cross strap seat belt. Weight of the radio would keep it down by the connector but it was upright

Then I got one of those push to talk microphones like you see police officers use (look like the handsets for a CB radio but smaller). Clipped it on the same cross strap but nearer my left shoulder.

Reception was great and you could hear and reply pretty easily even working a manual tranny.

3. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Not sure what model but I have a Motorola too. Range is never as high as they claim but as TGS91 said from car to car they are pretty good. Mine also has pretty good battery life. I also have a weather bad included always good if out in the woods or something.

4. Boxcars

Boxcars New Member

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Heard good things about Motorola,
    i caught a sale on Midland model 710 and they work great,
    like tgs91 says , don't exxpect 25 mi range but will work well for rallys.
    boxcars