Frustrations - Alta Performance

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by wzabrouski, Jul 21, 2012.

1. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    My frustrations with Alta Performance came back to life. Back when I had my R53, I had issues in the past but considering it has been about a year, I figured I would give them another shot. I ordered a hot side boost tube for my R60 on Sunday 7/15, I received an email on Monday 7/16 to confirm my order which I did. Towards the end of the day on Monday, 7/16 I sent an email to the same individual that asked me to confirm my order to see if the item was going to ship that day. No response. On Wednesday 7/18, I reached out to Alta Performance via their online chat on their website. Inquired about my order and at that point I was notified that the item was back ordered for 2 weeks? This was the same issue I have had in the past, you place the order and if you don't inquire you have no idea if the item is in stock. I explained that I had reached out to someone to find out the status on my order on Monday 7/16, but got no response. Their response was that they had been short staffed? Honestly, not my problem but hey... I asked to have my funds refunded due to the extended wait. As of today I have still not received my funds back. I sent them an email yesterday? Guess what? No response. My issue is that if I did not take the initiative to inquire about the order I still would not have any idea about the status of my order. Let's just say, I will not be ordering from Alta again as this is not the first time this has happened.

2. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I have seen this type of complaint alot lately with vendors here. Short staffed or not keeping your customers informed is of the utmost importance period. Unhappy customer experience = one less customer and in this time of recession customers are your lifeblood.

3. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I buy from Outmotoring and Detroit Tuned without any issues such as this. Both are great to deal with.

4. AllPepperS

AllPepperS New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Dog Nanny
    Palm City, FL
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I had an order with Alta the beginning of Jun and they were quite attentive and very quick getting everything out to me, a week from placing the order to my house in FL. I called and chatted with them since I had a few questions. So my experience was good. My order was not complicated just wheels and an RSB.

Tracy

5. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    For some reason it is always when items are back ordered. I just don't get why I got an email to confirm my order? Why not let me know at that point in time the item was back ordered? Granted I am inpatient, but all I needed was someone to communicate.

6. AllPepperS

AllPepperS New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Dog Nanny
    Palm City, FL
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Couldn't agree with you more. You should be told immediately if something is back ordered and given a due date. There are too many places to get things and customer service is extremely important when deciding where the dollar goes. It can be very frustrating.

I've had great service from most vendors I have dealt with, Outmotoring, Way, Moss and for me Alta. Hope they make it right for you, every dollar should count.

7. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I find it interesting how customer's expectations have changed, I consider it a product of the short attention span generation.

If you order something you expect a confimation email RIGHT NOW......

If you email them to ask about your order, you expect a reply RIGHT NOW....

Maybe, pick up the phone and call them? That way you can just ask them if they have it in stock and save yourself some time and aggravation?

I do agree that it would have been nice if they told you the item was on back order when they sent the first confirmation order, but chances are their system isn't set up that way; a lot of small vendors don't keep stock at their location, it's only when they order something that the place THEY get it from tells them whether THEY have it in stock, consequently, they may not have had an answer when you sent your wed email.....I also agree that customer service is important, but things don't always happen the way we all would like them too.....

so, did you get your tube or a refund?

It would be nice if everything could happen instantly, but the world just doesn't work that way all the time. Just trying to be the voice of reason here....

8. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    I don't know. I don't need my widget in 24 hours.Or desire instant knowledge. But I would like to know when there is a snag in the expectations. I just ordered over $1,000 in body panels etc for my kids car. My card got charged but I realized maybe 3 days later that I never received any confirmation details or tracking info.

When I emailed them, they responded with Ooops, we are waiting on one part. Should we split the shipment? Wouldn't have gotten a different answer from a phone call.

Really? How about telling me in advance!

9. AllPepperS

AllPepperS New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Dog Nanny
    Palm City, FL
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Umm, sorry, when I said immediately, I mean when they process the order. When they process it, they should know if there will be a delay and should let you know. I think many of these companies are actually quite small with only a few employees, a guy with an idea trying to get it done. I try to cut most vendors in this small Mini world some slack, I want them to succeed. I am not a member of the "right now" generation as it is and was actually quite surprised they were so fast, ordering on a Fri and getting all the stuff by the next Fri on totally opposite coasts and I did thank them for their service. Just my experience.

10. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I agree, do this simple trick before you click send: Grab the phone and actually talk to someone on the other end. If they say they have it in stock, let 'em know you're sending an order. If not, keep shopping. You'll have far fewer disappointments that way and you're out FAR less time than you are now! Just some advice from an old guy that buys a lotta stuff!

BTW, if you ever shop tire rack, their website tells you if it's in stock or not. Ain't that a great idea?

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Let's face it ALTA is not a vendor on M/A for a reason.:aureola:

ALTA stuff is crap. It never fits and they a have very poor customer service.

Word to the wise buy your aftermarket parts from trusted vendors like Helix, Detroit Tuned, Outmotoring, WMW...Ect.

Friends don't let friends buy ALTA.

Most real shops have a motto for ALTA and its: "ALTA it almost fits or works"

Or you ALTA know better then to buy from ALTA.

12. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Tire Rack does tell you their stock situation on the web site, but it's not always accurrate, if you really want to know you call them and talk to Alex, he'll send someone into the warehouse to physically look and see if the tires are there.

Same thing with a small vendor, but I agree it would be nice if they could tell you whether it's a stock item or an order item.

13. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Alex @ the Tire rack is a good guy.

14. 90intherain

90intherain New Member

Sep 17, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    They are sketchy at best. I think it has something to do with Oregon. A bit off topic but think we met in Dallas when I lived there. Bought a part from you. Welcome back to MINI!

15. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Be glad you didn't get it. They show the same part for the Hardtop and Countryman so it won't fit right when you get it. The Countryman discharge pipe is actually slightly shorter. You can make the NM pipe work by sliding the ends on further, but can't do that with a solid silicone hose like the alta.

Just one of many reasons WMW does NOT sell Alta parts.

16. Terminal Velocity

Dec 2, 2011
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    While I don't buy ALTA parts on advice from others I did buy their AccessPort on the advice of others. Customer service was some of the best I've experienced. It's likely the only thing I'll ever buy from them because I can't get the equivalent elsewhere but I can't personally knock their service. Honestly so far, I've had excellent luck with vendors in the MINI world.