FS: Two Schroth Quick Fit MINI harnesses BLUE

Discussion in 'Classifieds Archive' started by BThayer23, Jan 26, 2011.

1. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    #1 BThayer23, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
    SOLD!

For sale: two (2) Schroth Quick Fit MINI harnesses in blue

I bought the pair new in the fall of 2008 and used them on club drives and approximately 20 track days. They hold you in the seat while cornering and driving aggressively. It can be exhausting to brace yourself, work the pedals, and keep finding the shifter, all while steering the correct line. Harnesses will keep your body in one place and allow you to focus more on the driving, while also keeping you safe.

They're perfect for a street car, too. Install the two pairs of anchors in 20 minutes using existing hardware, and then the harnesses click in and out in 5 minutes. These harnesses are in fantastic condition. No crashes, no scuff, no rubs, no fraying. They were kept free of dust and dirt and always stored in a clean track box to minimize UV degradation. I'm selling this pair because I need to upgrade to a more track-specific HANS-compatible harness.

Asking $200 each or $350 for the pair, or best offer. PM, post, or email me at [my user name] at yahoo dot com. $10 for shipping (within the continental US) and paypal fees not included, international shipping is at cost.

Compatible with:
    2002-2006 MINI Cooper/Cooper S
    2004-2008 MINI Cooper/Cooper S Convertible
    2006 MINI GP
    *not officially compatible with R56 and up

From HMS Motorsport:

The Quick Fit Harness from Schroth is an excellent harness solution for people who have dual duty cars (track and street). Not many of us have the means to support a full time track vehicle as well as a street car, and still more of us like driving track-prepared cars on the street. The ultimate harness solution includes fixed-back Kevlar seats, a gazillion point welded roll-cage and a HANS device. None of us are going to (nor do we recommend) do this in our street cars.

What's the next best thing? The Schroth Quick Fit Harness. It anchors to factory points, which means you don't have to worry about it ripping out of the sheet metal. The factory points are load tested to withstand a 3,000-pound force for 6 seconds. It has ASM technology that keeps the lap belt low and your rear end firmly planted in the seat. You don't want the lap belt riding up and squeezing your stomach and intestines. A Schroth belt is designed not to.

The Quick Fit Belts also take advantage of the factory seat belt pre-tensioner, a device that tightens the belt 1-2 inches in the event of an accident. The Airbags will deploy as the engineers of the system intended for someone buckled in. With any other harness, the car wouldn't detect that someone was buckled in, so the airbags would deploy faster and harder.

They also come completely out of the car, giving you full use of your street car for carrying people or cargo. That is what it's for, isn't it? If you have any questions regarding a harness solution for you, please contact us.

Includes everything shown below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I'm interested but what is the "not officially" thing about? I have an R56.

3. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Well, the harnesses haven't been crash tested with R56 seats, and one of the buckles doesn't quite fit, so they're not intended for R56 cars.

From HMS Motorsports (the Schroth NA distributor): "PLEASE NOTE: This product only works on the first generation BMW Mini, from 2001-2006. We are working on a solution for 2007."

However, I have heard that trimming a little plastic will allow the harnesses to fit the R56 seat belt buckles, and the seats are pretty much the same as in the R53, so it's an off-label use.

4. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Cool. I'll pass. Cutting my seat belt latches leaves me with a bad feeling.

I did some reading on these harnesses. They are REALLY awesome for the weekend racer. Great design and VERY useful. I'm hoping they develop an R56 solution soon. Good luck with the sale.

5. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Please check your email; I sent a reply very soon after you posted.

6. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Yup, just saw that, thanks. Yahoo doesn't push mail to my iPhone. I'll send you a response.

7. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    You might want to mention to any potential buyer that in order to install the rear seat anchors, a longer bolt is necessary to hold the new anchors and the existing latch. I bought my harnesses used and the seller failed to mention that, and it was frustrating doing the install and missing those two longer bolts.

8. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Good point, the rear anchor install was a bit frustrating.

When I bought the set of harnesses, I only had one bolt and spring washer between the two boxes (see 3rd photo). It was a little weird, but I attempted the install anyways because it was a Saturday. Everything fit fine, but it was tough to torque the bolt and not have the harness anchor rotate. I ended up using the supplied replacement bolt on the driver's side, where the direction of the threads rotates the anchor under the seat. On the passenger side, the anchor rotates up, so it was less of an issue. And if you feel it's an issue, I'm sure you could call HMS and get new bolts (they're grade 8.8 hex bolts). But my replacement bolt wasn't actually longer, so safety is not an issue. There's plenty of thread engagement, too.

9. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the clarification. I missed seeing the bolt in the photo. :Thumbsup: Good luck with the sale!

Richard

10. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I bought mine to use on my '03 JCW, when I sold that and bought my '09 Clubman S I moved it over to the new car - it fits perfectly and the only thing I had to do was trim about 1/8" of plastic off of the clip on the belt so it would go all the way in and latch. You don't have to do any thing structural, it's simply a bit of the plastic cover on the end of the belt.

I would not hesitate to use these in an R56.....

11. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Oooh that's great to know!! I was hoping to use mine that I had in my '05 for my '10 Clubman S!

Thanks!

12. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    1) BThayer23: Sorry about the thread-jack. It looks like you have the harnesses sold though.

2) Minidave: Pics? I may get myself a driver's side harness anyway if this isn't a big thing but I would like to see what part needs to be cut before making the call.

Thank You both for the info. If not for this thread I wouldn't know this product even existed. :Thumbsup:

13. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I'm trying to get the pic to load, but bassically it's the end that plugs in on your right hip, where you would plug your regular seatbelt in. On the R56 the receptacle must be a tiny bit deeper than on the R53, all you do is trim about 1/8" of the black plastic off the lower edge of the Schroth belt buckle, then it will go in far enough to latch - that's it! In no way does it compromise the intergrity of the belt or the hardware, it's just the plastic cover....

here's the pic....

Attached Files:

14. panaphobic

panaphobic Club Coordinator

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I did not see an SFI Specification 16.1 certification on this setup. Does it have the SFI 16.1 cert?

15. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I believe that is only applicable to racing harnesses, these are not advertised for racing purposes.

16. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Right you are ScottinBend!. I just looked up these and they aren't listed as being for racing purposes. I was just asking cuz I have a harness I need to have re-certified. Wish the SFI Specification 16.1 certification lasted longer than 2 years.....

17. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    You can actually get harnesses re-certified? I always thought they just got replaced.

18. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Yeah that's what the SFI website says at least lol

I've always just replaced the belts. Easier that way I think. I just pick them up in the winter time from Wesco Performance. They have winter sales every year. You can get a pretty good deal that way!

19. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    :idea::idea:

One more benefit to using harnesses that can be removed from the car easily. :Thumbsup:

20. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Sale pending...