1st Gen R52 Cooper Convertible Fuel Door Removal

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Whine not Walnuts, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Whine not Walnuts

Whine not Walnuts Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    The previous owner had over-opened the fuel door, leaving a ding in the sheet metal. I had a paintless dent guy come and fix. In order to access I had to remove the fuel door. I could not find a removal procedure for a Vert but I did find one for a R50. I have modified this instruction, the first file, and then also include the original file for more reference. First file has 3 pages where I added notes, the second file is the entire original file without my notes.

Tools/items required: 1.) Metric socket set 2.) A small 10 mm open end wrench for removing the rear tail light. 3.) WD 40 or another type of spray lubricant 4.) Fiberglass forming knife or a plastic putty knife. 5.) Torx, flat and phillips screw drivers 6.) Jack and jack stand, 7.) Lots of patience if you are not double jointed or 2' tall.

The r52 light is held in place via nut/bolt accessible from inside. After the nut is removed there are also spring clips that hold the light in place. You need to push the light out from within. The light needs to be removed if you have automatic car locks to access and remove the fuel door lock actuator. Suggest you remove the trim panel to access the light and nut. It makes getting to the nut much easier.

I would also disconnect the battery as you will be working around gas fumes.

Attached Files:

2. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967 / 6 / -5
    Nice write up.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    There are lots of ways to remove a fuel door.... I like your write up the best... Very nice:Thumbsup:

Here's another quicker way.... No tools needed, except for the one driving...:crazy:

https://youtu.be/TwZwSIrMLmk

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    Thanks for the write up!