1st Gen R53 Cooper S Funny clutch noise

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by mrntd, Dec 28, 2012.

1. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I have noticed a funny noise when I let out the clutch when it is cold and now that it is cold outside. It's kind of like a hoot. Once driven a bit and it warms up it's gone. Any ideas? Or this a "they all do that"

2. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Nick, does it sound like a throwout bearing? My R53 throwout bearing was a little noisy when cold from the day I bought it until the day I sold it 106K miles later.

3. JMC40

JMC40 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    O...H...!!
    Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    ^^^^^ +1, what Mark said. My '04 did the same thing, however not sure if they changed anything in the '05+ newer transmission.

4. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    If the noise comes when the car is out of gear, you're fine. If it makes the noise when in gear, not so much. At a stop light, if you let out the clutch and it's out of gear and you hear a clattering, that's a jammed dual-mass flywheel, and you just have to live with it, unless you have $2k you want to throw at the problem. If the sound happens while driving in gear, start saving, because your TO bearing is about to scatter inside your bell housing and leave you dead in the water.

5. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Haven't tried it out of gear. In gear it just makes a little hoot or whoop sound not clattering, crunching or grinding. Sort of a metal moaning sound. It doesn't do it between gears only starting off in 1st. After a couple of regular starts it's gone. The car only has 24k mi so I wouldn't think the TO bearing is shot yet.

6. Belhaven

Belhaven Active Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    my '06 S has had a little hoot or moan when it is cold and i start letting out the clutch, going on 5 years now.

7. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    What you're describing is the classic "Chewbacca" noise, search for that term on any MINI forum and you'll find scads of threads on it.

The only fix is to replace the clutch and flywheel, but it's not hurting anything, it's just annoying. What's making the noise is your dual mass flywheel.

There is a Valeo clutch kit available now that uses a regular flywheel, disc and diaphragm clutch cover that will replace the OEM for about half cost and it will cure the problem forever. I just installed one last week and the owner is absolutely thrilled with it, just FYI.

He got his from Way Motor Works

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I have the same problem on my 02. Its been doing it for a few years. I also plan on changing to the Valeo clutch when time comes to replace the stock one.

9. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    The Valeo seems to be a good choice, again the owner of the one I replaced loves it, he refers to it as his "Honda" clutch, and he means that in the best way! Smooth, engages mid stroke, and always the same, light and very positive. He also says he noticed no additional vibration from not having the dual mass flywheel.

He also says the flywheel's lighter and the engine seems to rev more willingly, but it does not impact starting from a stop or anything. Add in half the cost of a factory clutch and it seems win/win to me. Of course, the labor cost is the same...so it's still an expensive clutch to replace.

10. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    My 05 first did that one morning last year in Robbinsville, it was a damp morning and I just attributed it to the morning moisture, well it continues even now. It only does it when car is cold and only first gear, after two or three starts it is gone.
    Guess I better start saving. :(

11. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the input. I'm glad it's nothing to worry about. I'd rather spend my money on fun stuff.