Funny vid about HPDEs!

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by Dr Obnxs, Jul 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iUKaPlBl8]YouTube - Trackday Comedy[/ame]

Matt

2. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    That is hilarious!!!

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Reminds me of a certain person here in the DFW area that has wrecked a Viper...on the out lap!

It was replaced with a faster Viper...

4. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Yup, I have been behind one or two of these guys. :)

And I will point you by. :lol:

5. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I need to be in a group...

where I can run all out!

Priceless!

Matt

6. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    That is how I drive... flat out.

I'm not a student! I have gone 200 mph on the Autobahn in a Caterham... in the dark... while it was raining.

7. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    That was really funny!

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    I liked the face palm at the end:lol::lol::lol:

9. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +646 / 0 / -0
    I must have met that same guy at a Keith Code Superbike school many years ago at Road America. Was behind him as he went way wide on several corners and he later missed a turn and went straight into a gravel trap. He spent the end of the day complaining about the crappy school and instructors.

10. howsoonisnow1985

howsoonisnow1985 New Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Inmate
    Santa Cruz County Jail
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just too funny, you see a little bit of Richard Alistair aspects at every track day.

11. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    A friend sent this to me...

so thank Stephan McKeown for the laughs.

He's a former Mini owner. Went on to a Porsche Cayman S. I think he still writes for MC Squared.

Matt

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Now that was funny !

Met a few like him........

13. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I never chuckled. it was about 2x too long as it needed to be.

14. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Your dead inside. :)

15. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    "I didn't point you by because I was afraid you would crash in front of me. Or your car would burst into flames."

I have DEFINITELY met that dude.

16. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    #16 cct1, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
    Just got back from Autobahn in Joliet. This guy was there!

First of all, I've never seen anything like this at an event. It's not the sponsor's fault; I've run with them many times, and they do a great job. But oh my, some of the people out there...On the other hand, there are ALOT of very fast cars out there, much more so than the BMW and Porsche sponsored HPDE's.

The novice group got off to a wonderful start. Their first session was a low speed, lead-follow with the instructors to learn the line. One kid, who had never been on the track before, in (what used to be) a very nice Evo, decides to get real aggressive after ONE lap, and pretty much totals his car. Did I mention this was a lead-follow low speed session?

Price for track time: $245.00

Price for EVO: $30,000

Price for Totalling Evo on second lap of your first ever track day: Priceless.

The day goes on, and there are at least 5 wrecked cars taken off either by tow-truck or flatbeds by the end of the day. One of them may have been a mechanical issue other than a wreck, but the 4 others--including a race prepped E30, Cayman S and the Evo, and a Lotus, that I almost hit a piece of lying on the track, took some pretty signifcant damage. May have been another car with some damage too; after awhile, I just lost count. Our group (intermediate; won't run with the advanced group--the cars are too fast, and some of the drivers are playing a card or two short of a full deck) had two sessions cut short due to black flags; same thing with the advanced run group.

But the coup de gras:

I'm parked very close to the staging area, right across from the chief steward(ess), a very nice looking, petite young girl, probably early 20's, doesn't look like she could harm a flea. And she's good--she knows what she's doing, and considering the goofballs out there, was keeping things from degenerating into maximum entropy.

So this guy in a drivers suit, folded down halfway, drivers shoes, sweating like a pig since it's like 8 million degrees and humdity is 700%, bullrushes over to the Steward during the corner worker break, yelling loudly (but rudely) "Hey, what the hell is going on--why did you black flag my last run group? How am I going to get any laps in?" The guy keeps complaining for a minute or so, a few of us are watching this, as it's fairly entertaining, thinking he's one of those insane racer dudes in the advanced group.

Finally, she asks him which group he's in and which session--and it turns out he's in the beginners group (the small group watching the scene immediately starts cracking up, everyone just assumed he was in advanced), and it's his second time out on the track. Reason I know it's his second time out is she told him someone was out on the side of the track, just in the grass, it was toward the end of the session, and there wasn't going to be enough time to restart the session before the next group.

And his reply was "Well at my first track day last month, I was in the grass off the track, and they didn't stop the session!"

The steward now has had it--she glares at the guy and snarls back "well I wasn't the steward then now was I? You have a problem, go talk to the guy who spun, that's why your session was cut short, you're wasting your and my time here."

As everyone was yelling "you go girl", the guy kind of slunk off back to his car, muttering how he was going to talk to the event organizer about this. I hope he did too, because what he got from the Steward would have been nothing to what he would have gotten from the organizers...

Second time out, and this dude is trying to give the chief steward a dressing down, for doing her job. Unbelievable.

17. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    was she hot? I'd dress her down too <wink-wink>

18. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, she was pretty cute, but quite possible young enough to be my daughter. Kind of cute with her cheeks flushed, was kind of hoping another idiot would have a go at her, the more pissed off she became, the hotter she got...

But the guy who gave the "dress down", I'm pretty sure the only thing romantic he went home with was his hand...

19. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It never ceases to amaze me

how some just don't get what a black flagged session is about. It's like they own the laps before they've even driven them! One thing I love about the Nor-Cal Shelby club events is that they are very, very friendly. They run four groups, and the upper two get pretty intense (there are some ex Nascar cars running in those groups, and lots of American Iron race cars), but the novice and intermediat groups are excellent. Worst thing that happens is some of the cars that can run all four groups have to be reminded to mellow out a bit when driving amongst the begginers.

When a-holes like your guy start up, they should just be sent packing. "Leave now, track privilages revoked, no refund." It's a very short conversation....

Hooked on Driving is going (has gone?) national. David Ray runs a very good program. While it's a bit long winded at the beginning talk, if the point about behaviour, both on and off the track, is ignored, it is at the peril of those that infringe.

Some of the other groups out here are a bit more "Darwinian" in thier processes, and even the novice group can be a bit hair raising.

But I always wonder what those who drive way above thier ability or way to agressively on a friggin driving event are thinking? Sure there are mechanical failures and an occational brain fart, but multiple cars trashed in a single day? in a non competitive event? That's just dumb... And expensive...

Matt

Matt

20. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0

Hmmm...

Mercedes on a MINI board. Check.

Didn't find the video amusing in the least. Check.

Complaining about it. Check.

You're THAT guy aren't you??? :D