Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S G-Force Chip - Real or Rip Off

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Nathan, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Nate.. sorry to upset!

BUT... if no one has said what theirs did ( and you know there are a few out there...) then all the rest is just that. .Sometimes you just don't have to pick a turd up and roll it around in your hand to know it's crap....

I have no idea.. thus the posed question. WHO has experience vs just what they Think and feel. the way it is described.. it works!! If not, then you get 100% refund. IF you dont like it , unplug and the ECU goes back where it was. Y'all even said it will work.

But this is all good... I have one from a trade out, and like I said, I will test and see, If it works, then dandy, if not.. nothing lost save 20 minutes of my time. Funny there was no comments on the dollar to power I gave..

But I guess $70.50 Per HP is a good thing....
    or $80.00 Per HP is a good thing...
    or maybe $95.00 Per HP is a rocking deal!!??

like they say .. if you dont stick your neck out, you will not get ahead". Or maybe that was a turtle.

LOL all I did is push for an answer, and not follow the "BS" .. still no ACTUAL results, so cool!! I can live with that...

Just me.....................................

Thumper

2. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Here's where you're wrong on that...

I spent quite a bit of time talking to someone who did it right. You just won't trust that because it's not my experience. Fine that's OK, but when you say no real experience, that's just not correct. You're saying no experience that you'll listen to.

Anyway, have at it and let us know what you find out.

Matt

ps, what would you say to someone who said "Install this bigger power valve in your Holley 4-bbl. It will always makes more power, all cars all applications!" You'd think they smoke crack often, or didn't know what they were talking about. You'd even grant that there were some set-ups where it would actually help, but you wouldn't say the approach is correct, you'd say tune your car properly and you will have the correct jets, float level and power valve in you Holley. This is exactly the same thing.

3. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    I see both sides of this argument...

Everyone is blasting this product but nobody, by their own admission, has hands on knowledge because nobody knows what it A.) Really does and B.) Really is.

There is theory and speculation, but nobody has actually tried it to see if it works or not.

I understand the other side as well as there are MINI folks here with a ton more experience than me telling why they wouldn't do it. I would be very hesitant to try it because of the opinions and comments here that made me think about how they are touting a computer chip for cars that never had computers...

That kind of logic is hard [read: impossible] to argue with.

:D

4. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I know exactly what it is and what it does...

Mike, pop the cover off, and get a good high resolution photo of the top of the chip (if they left the identifiers on it), or just measure the resistance between the pins that the wires are soldered to. Heck, just measure the resistance across the wires! This isn't a "computer chip" it's a resitor network. That's lots of individual resistors in a single package to free up board space on about 1970s technology (the package type tells me this). This is a passive, not active, device. It probably retails for about a quarter. In single quantities.

Matt

5. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    #45 Thumper460, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
    ps, what would you say to someone who said "Install this bigger power valve in your Holley 4-bbl. It will always makes more power, all cars all applications!" You'd think they smoke crack often, or didn't know what they were talking about. You'd even grant that there were some set-ups where it would actually help, but you wouldn't say the approach is correct, you'd say tune your car properly and you will have the correct jets, float level and power valve in you Holley. This is exactly the same thing.

A power valve is a vac operated item, and if some one suggested a bigger power valve , his whole idea is incorrect, and yes I would show him the correct terms and how it works. Or the difference between a 3.5 and am 8.5 hg power valves, where the valve is opened and when it starts to open and also when it is max open. How the vac works on launch- mid- range and thru the top end. And the reason it is called a "POWER Valve " to a gear Head and an "economizer Valve " to mpg stock driver.

I do understand the way this gizmo works, thanks to the posts.. I just ( only wanted ) to know of ANY actual experience.. and it seems there is none! Yes?

I am like most.. tight on money, and if there is an idea out there that will allow more power, then I will research and ( do to the web) ask for any knowledge on the item. These cars are expensive to mod.. and input is the key!! yes? that being said, there is a lot of the "NO it wont, its Junk" out there also, usually from people that have NO experience with it. That is the reason I kept asking ..." have you used it!" and the answer is Nope!! So now I will see for myself... wouldn't it be funny if it pulled more torque from 2500-4500 revs by "tricking the ECU" into thinking the air is colder, and allowing more ign timing??
    We have been doing that for ever.. cold T-stats, Iced Fuel cans, icing the intake manifolds, methinol, so we can run more ign timing and build more power. Nothing new here just a different way of doing it. yes?

To all that think I am an ass for asking for experiance..... and not following the crowd, sorry. It is like changing cam phase.. water-meth.. or other issues that are not the norm, but huge power makers!!

Just me.....................................

Thumper

PS.. if it works!! and it is only 15 cents.. then why not show us all how to do it... remember when you could increase pressure for the the shift points in the Ford C4 trans with just a cotter pin??!! I ran one of those mods for years back in the day, when most shift kits cost 50.00!! just a thought..

6. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    A simple Google search on using a resistor to trick the ECU will yield tons of information from a variety of sources so an engineering degree would not be necessary for the discussion. The results are mixed at best and might be described as a band aid for proper tuning techniques. To call this a "computer chip" is nothing but misleading and down right fraudulent. I for one would not and will not purchase or support an entity doing business in this fashion. Nor would I install something based on their claims on my car...........at least not without a double layer of nitrile gloves on. LOL

7. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Just a thought here. The things you mentioned above actually lowered the intake air temp, so that is not the same as tricking the ECU to think "hot" air is "cold" is it?

Jim

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0

Wow.....I just lost a whole lotta respect for you.

Can you tell just from a visual inspection if a head job was done right? Same thing applies here. Lots of folks with working knowledge of how things work are comfortable saying this is just smoke and mirrors.

Should we be concerned with your advertising?

9. YesIFit

YesIFit New Member

May 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Example:

A new drug/pill comes out. It promises to enhance your, um, nether regions and help with other "male" problems. It's not tested by the FDA, but some people "swear" it works. And their advertising makes it look legit. Heck, I mean, they're even doing well enough to sponsor a car NASCAR.

But, NUMEROUS Doctors say that it doesn't work. ("There is no such thing as a [this type of] pill that works. These are all things that are sold for profit. There's no science or substance behind them.") Have they tried it personally, probably not, but they still give their opinion of it.

So, if you didn't know anyone who had personally tried it, would you?

A perhaps extreme, but still similar, example.

P.S. - What if I told you that later, the CEO of that company was found guilty of 93 counts of conspiracy, fraud and money laundering, sentenced to 25 years in prison and ordered to pay $93,000 in fines? And the company was ordered to forfeit $500 million.

10. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Actually most any Cylinder Head man can have a good idea on the performance from a Head that is worked.
    This is why I supply testimonies for my stuff. and it is also way I asked for Actual results.. to help stop this rederick and should coulda woulda.. I guess that not only have you lost respect for me... you havent tried it either. Cool!

And that is all I asked.. anyone tried this??
    Jim.. sorry I am lost here,, icing the engine makes the engine think it is hotter?? I was using a Carb dynamics.. not the ECU and the colder the denser the fuel and the more ign you can add. the same IF the ECU thinks the air is cold.. more ign timing.

LOL.. hey you guys.. getting pissed at some one who keeps asking the same question " Have you used it and what did it do" seems kinda funny to me. I should think a answer like NO, or yes it did this or didnt do this would have worked fine, dontcha think??

Just me....................................

Thumper

11. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Mike you miss my point...

it's not about power valves or resistors. It's about global claims that there is some cheap magic fix that will yeild lots of power. I just used power valves as an example.

These guys make global claims based on thier "fix". Yes you can find a few examples of cases where low cost mods really do create benefit, but when you look at the explanation behind them it makes sense. There even is one on the R56. Moving that locating plastic thing that locks the strut guides to get about 1/2* more negative camber is cheap, works and has an explanation that make sense.

And you can find a gazillion of things that are "cheap"... "what the car companies, government, black helecoptors or whatever" don't want you to know that are total BS.

With this thing setting a fixed temp for the ECU to see in IATS during WOT doesn't make sense. IF IATs would have been colder on a given day anyway, it will do just the opposite as when it would have been hotter on another day. How can that be a good thing?

And I did tell you all how to make one of these for cheap that would even be settable. See some of the posts above.

There are tons of FI bandaids out there. The Mynes guys were selling a voltage clamp. That's a level above this that can be used on "ehnaced" boosted cars to let the ECU see the changes in boost up until it gets really high, when the ECU would throw a code. And it holds the pressure sensor reading at some level that keeps the car from throwing the code. but you better have a rich tune because at the boost and RPM rise, you'll get leaner and leaner, eventually riding the knock sensor to keep things safe. As it leans you may even get power! That has an explanation that makes sense.

Anyway, have at it and report back. I'm all ears.

Matt

12. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Nope, never used one, so I can't report on how useless they really are, but from what I've read about this kind of thing, I won't bother.

Mark

13. Doggybags

Doggybags New Member

May 9, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I don't know mike, if I see a turd on the street I am going to go out on a limb and say it tastes like a turd. I don't need to taste it to figure it out. It's that simple.

If it were a more sophisticated device I would tend to follow your argument, say for example the people that argue against the sprint booster without actually trying it.

But a turd is a turd, no need to try it.

14. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Yep!! y'all are all correct. I NEVER said it was a turd or gold!

I never said it works !! ( actually others here said how it works)

I would NOT tell anyone to use it!! untill I get my own results.

All I asked was....... DID ANYONE USE IT?? And if so what was their results??

The answers on this site are a resounding NO!! So I will test it my self and see what happens!!

Just a thought here.. what makes some cars faster than others?? It is the little things others feel isnt worth the time!

SOoooooooo... I guess we are done here?? Or is there someone who has tried it?? Dr. is at least running research on an actual use of this technology.. lol. It seems the rest just see a turd!! cool. DONT waste your money!!

Just me...........................................

Thumper

15. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Please wash your hands afterwards .... lol

16. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Some questions for the EE types here, I am not one.

1. Does something like this fool the ECU to read it is always X degrees? Meaning that at 0F and 100F ambient the ECU always think it is X degrees?

If so, what happens when the ambient is below the resistor set point and more fuel is actually needed, does it run lean at this point?

2. If not 1 then does the resistor say it -X degrees ambient? In that case is there a floor where it not possible to add more fuel for the ambient temp and at this point since the ECU has reached that floor what happens?

17. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Using a resistor...

fixes a temp. Anyway, I got in touch with John and here's what he said....

Oh yes, I remember our resistor discussion. The purpose of the resistor was to "fool" the ECU into thinking that the ambient air was cooler than it really is. The ECU should respond to low temperatures with slightly leaner mixtures and maybe more ignition advance. What I did was to measure the resistance of the temperature sensor with the engine stone cold and the ambient temperature about 60 degrees. As I recall, that resistance value was about 1.5K ohms. Better measure it for yourself. I connected a DPDT toggle switch so I could select the 1.5K resistor vs the temperature sensor and ran the car on the dyno. A definite small peak in torque and HP was noted with the resistor in place. I decided that the "improvement" in torque was too minimal to justify a risk of detonation on a hot hot day.

So there you have it, there was a slight bump with a trick in place. Now, the G-force would have to have this same value to get the same bump.

Matt

18. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    If in fact, this device is just a resistor in parallel with the OEM thermistor it will have the effect of slowing down the resistance change in the circuit as temp changes.

So, for example if Ta = 100F, the ECU might see it as only 80F. Depends on the resistor and thermistor values, etc., etc

19. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Before SRT4s were fully unlocked, mass amounts of people used "map clamps" to do very primitive tuning on their cars. All you needed was a boost controller and a AFR. Had a friend pick up A LOT of power doing this, and this alone, but you are dealing with a turbo. Where PSI is easier to change then one spark plug...

IMO, and like Dr.O i think has been saying, this works, but only as a band-aid, and is nothing compared to a real tune.

Why there is such argument over something like this, is beyond me.

20. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    6 pages of comedy.....................

some just don't understand they are the comedy..............