Garage fire recovery... and other random projects.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sully, Feb 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Regarding the fire - it was a headlamp. By that I mean one that you wear when mountain biking or working on something and want your hands free. The battery over charged and the safety on both the battery and charger failed. Not good.

For the punch down tool... thanks! Didn’t even think to ask since I have so many to do. I did 15 drops and house is now finally wired. But you do bring up a good point. It’s not.a household tool used regularly.. so if anyone else needs, they can use mine also when I’m done in next two weeks.

2. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    When I ran network wire through a house (around 2005 or so), the little modular plugs where you did the punching came with a small plastic punch-down gadget. I'm sure it wasn't as nice as the $30 one at Lowes, but it was free, so I went with it. I think every box with a plug came with one, so I had 20+ of those little suckers.

3. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Sully. I have commercial versions of the punch tool and the tool for installing RJ-45 (ethernet) plugs. It'll also install telephone handset and line cord plugs. These are left from when I was doing business phone systems and security/CCTV systems. Any time you need anything like that just drop me a line.

4. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    You can't have too many tools!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Thanks will do - I finish the patch panel etc before I left town. Now on the way back.. :)

6. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    You are correct... every project needs a new tool... at least in my house. :D

7. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Sooo received 2 alerts over the last 2 days from the new alarms. Essentially cooking bacon appears to throw off some smoke (inlaws in the basement). All good. They gave warnings and worked like a charm. Feedback from the family is very positive so far. They love the night lights and the ability to control the alarms (see bacon cooking above) so it doesn’t go off. ~8 days in and liking them.. :)

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I am sure they are in our future.

9. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    They are expensive little buggars compared to the Kidde standard smoke alarms ($100 vs $30). It was quite the investment when we moved in and had 6-7 of 'em to do. We've got tall ceilings downstairs and those would be very hard to reach for testing, so I convinced myself that the $ would be worth the ease of controlling via a phone and the self testing feature (It waits until you aren't at home and checks the alarms, each one going off in sequence and the others listening to be sure they all went off).

My wife and I came back from a late road trip one night and slept in very late the following morning. The alarms didn't see any movement in the house, so they triggered the monthly auto-test... 10 seconds of rapid chirping that sounded like it was echoing across the whole house (once one is confirmed, the next one in order chirps, then the next...). I got a notification a minute later that the siren test was all good... we were confused as hell until that came through.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Thats good to know. When setting them up, I saw the “Prefered” schedule for testing. Since we have inlaws.. it will be interesting to see if it can figure out a time when we are not home to test. I’ll pre-inform everyone of what the sequence is so at least they know when/if it happens when they are home.