Entertainment Electronics 2nd Gen Garmin HD

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Justa Jim, Jul 8, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I am planning to upgrade my GPS, so I have a couple of questions for those who have the HD set up.

1. Can you see the gauges clearly in the day time?

2. Can you switch back and forth between nav and gauges while on a trip? In other words, can you look at the gauges while the unit navigates a programmed route or is it one or the other?

3. Do you like and use it or is it something merely to play with?

4. How did you mount your GPS?

Jim

2. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    1. Can you see the gauges clearly in the day time?

Yes

2. Can you switch back and forth between nav and gauges while on a trip? In other words, can you look at the gauges while the unit navigates a programmed route or is it one or the other?

Both are happening simultaneously and you have to toggle between the two screens, easy to do while driiving

3. Do you like and use it or is it something merely to play with?

I think it's well worth the money. You also get a enhanaced trip meter view which honestly I use more than the gauges. It also tells you when you turn it off at a destination exactly how many miles traveled, MPG and cost of that trip (assuming you enter a gas price)

The gauges themselves leave me a little wanting. Main ones that are useful to me are coolant temp (which you can see in the enhanced trip meter), Intake Air Temp (not sure where on air path) as well as a Intake Boost (it's in some odd metric though). There is no oil temp available

The other plus is it has a onboard OBII reader that you can clear CEL's with (if you don't already have a OBII reader it's really handy)

4. How did you mount your GPS?

I use the Craven mount and it works very well

3. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Tim, that was a really good review, which answered all my questions, as well as some I did not think of. You sold me. I shall get one when I upgrade, which will be to the Garmin 2460. I would love to have "terrain view", but for the price they are asking.

Jim

4. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Tim, what Garmin are you using again? With the bluetooth dongle or wifi? Thanks, Don

5. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Blue Tooth dongle off the OBII port

[​IMG]

6. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009