Entertainment Electronics 2nd Gen Garmin OBD HD Gauges

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Justa Jim, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I already used that one when I told her I "adjusted" the bushing in the torque arm ather then "replaced them". Besides, she can actually see the GPS. :lol:

I saw a 1490 today (bolted to the wall), but it looked like the charging plug attaches to the outside, top left corner. Is this correct?

Jim

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Lotsie, you sure about the charging cord being the same? A friend bought a 1490T for his MINI and the plug looked like a small USB, like for a camera, IIRC.

I was hoping I could use my 660, but even if they decide to release the software for it at a later date, I'll bet they'll charge for it. So, to use my 660 I'd need that, plus the battery's gone pffft, and I really need to update the maps - by the time I do all that I could buy a new unit - which is what I'm going to do I guess. I have a friend who lost his Garmin in a bad crash, so I'll give him my old 660 which he can leave wired up all the time so the battery won't matter, and he rarely leaves his home area, so the new maps won't matter - should do him fine.

Then I'll pop for the new one and the dongle, and my MINI will have the new updated maps AND a temp gauge - finally! :Thumbsup:

3. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I unplugged the 350, and plugged the 1490 in using the 350 cord. It turned on when I powered up the car, and turned off when I powered the car down.

The charging/USB port is in the middle of the back on our 1490. It is a normal small USB plug. Same cable fits our Canon digital camera.

Mark

4. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Mark. That decides it for me as the chaging cable for my 760 is not a standard USB. It has two push clips on the side and goes into the mounting bracket and the 760 has a port on the bottom that plugs into the bracket. I don't understand why they can't just keep thing standard, but then nobody does anymore. :eek:ut:

Jim

5. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Well, you thought you would have the HD by Tuesday and this is Wednesday, so where is the detailed writeup of you impressions??????

BTW: Could you post a picture of the 1490 mounted in your car? I know the USB conects to the GPS itself, but how does the cig lighter charger with the FM receiver hook up?

Thanks,

Jim

6. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Things are a little hectic around here. Grand baby girl was just born a couple of hours ago, and we had the Grand son here last night.

It did come yesterday, and I will write/post pictures as soon as I get a chance. I understand the OBD reader is powered by the port, and it sends the info via bluetooth to the GPS.

Mark

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Hey Mark........
    Congratz on the new grand baby.:cornut:

8. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Good for you. I hope all is going well. We had a new arrival two days ago too, but he has four legs, weighs 100+ pounds and resides with his mom out in the barn. :Thumbsup:

Jim

9. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    OK, got the thing hooked up.

First you need to update the software on your GPS. So go to your account, then devices, then it will say if there are updates. Do the update, following the directions to the letter.

Then go to the car, plug in the HD, turn the car on, and fire up the GPS. If your GPS has ecoroute, it will now show CONNECT DH, select that, and the devices start talking to each other. Then when that 4-5 minute chat is over, turn the car off, power down the GPS, then start the car, power up the GPS, new screen is there, select GAUGES, and presto, you have coolant temp, intake pressure(boost) RPMs. intake air temp. timing advance. Select DIAGNOSTICS, and it will show codes.

Now, I've only gone around the block once with it, but as you get close to bounce in 1st gear, boost is there in numbers:lol: RPMs seems the same as the cars rev. counter, so the info is probably real close to real time.

Have to figure out how to deal with the dongle hanging in front of the dead pedal. It comes with double stick tape, and zip ties, but I'm thinking velcro.

I'll post pics tomorrow, now it's couch time.

Mark

10. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Good report, thanks. Now you can go back to doing whatever you were doing. :lol:

Jim

11. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    It also does Data logging. It will store codes thrown, so even if the GPS is not in the car the next time it is you can read any codes. It also does a bunch of gas mileage related things, but I have not figured those out yet.

Mark

12. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Just when I thought I was over this thing, you turn in all these great reports and now I'm starting re-think this. :cryin:

Jim

13. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Oh, the gauge screen looks real cool:lol:.

Mark

14. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    :prrr:

Jim

15. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    The price is right is on Amazon:D

Mark

P.S. You wanted feedback, I'll give you feedback:Thumbsup:

16. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    This was copied right off the Garmin web site and I still find it very misleading, but what can I say.

Drivers can then view Diagnostic Trouble Codes – with on-screen descriptions of some error codes – and reset the “check engine†light. ecoRoute hd will be compatible with many current and future nüvi models, including 1260, 1370, 1390, 1490 and 1690.

Keep the reports comming Mark. I'm on the edge, again.

Jim

17. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Well my Wife just got back from a short jaunt on the highway, and says watching the boost gauge is fun:lol:

Mark

18. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Finely, something that is not a plus, as I don't have and "S". :nonod:

Jim

19. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Add this thing to one of the NUVI 3700 series soon to be released and Wow -- what a show it will be.

20. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Technology advances so quickly these days, what you buy today is discontinued and replaced tomorrow. What is the 3700 going to do?

Jim