Most liked posts in thread: Gas Prices going up.....consider this!

1. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    Gas Prices Up(yeah,what else is new?)

:cornut: HEAR HERE !!!!! I agree. Margi only drinks the best,93 octane. Why,because there's no 94 octane at my local station.:Thumbsup: Jason

2. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Kind of starts and end with the manual saying the car needs to run on Premium

at less than $4 a tank diff between Prem and Reg why screw around?

3. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Good point!

4. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Exactly.

5. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Count the blessings

My cousin in Stockholm just emailed me that he paid 14 SEK per liter. That translates to....wait for it......$8/gallon!

6. galoki

galoki New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yep... problem is the manual doesn't say that Wal-Mart premium is crappy and doesn't include the same quality of detergents that a Top Tier Gas will have. I think that burns alot of people. Most people probably don't realize there is a difference...nor do they understand the effect of ethynol. Ethynol is controlled pretty well here in Georgia...but some other places you need to watch out for anything over 10%. I read alot of posts on the sewing site where people lost fuel pumps due to high ethynol in the gas. IE, not covered under warranty.

I suspect that most, if not all, of the people on this forum are knowlegdable car owners and don't really need to be reminded of all this...but I figured I would do my good deed of the day and share my thoughts.:Thumbsup:

7. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    This is great to see it in a math representation that anyone can understand!! :Thumbsup::Thumbsup:

I have tried to explain this for years to people.
    Nice write up.:Thumbsup:

8. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    This is kinda like assuming that the car approaching with a the right turn signal on is really gonna turn right....dangerous

People need reminding that cheap is not always best, actually rarely is

Cheap is mighty attractive to allot of people

Thanks for your service!

9. Robin Casady

Robin Casady New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Nov 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As the Brits say, "Penny wise; pound foolish."

10. galoki

galoki New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was going for tactfulness rather then bluntfulness.... either way... agreed!

thanks

11. Tom2112

Tom2112 New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Stig Substitute
    Sharon, PA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    What the original posted is missing is that his friends are not comparing the price of premium vs. regular in general, they're comparing the cost of premium before the price hike and the cost of regular after the hike. Their point is that they will maintain the same cost, rather than having to pay more.

Of course, as everyone has already pointed out, their logic is flawed, and they will likely do more harm than the small amount of money that they save is worth.

12. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Well said. Stating it in terms of dollars per year puts it all into perspective. I fill up once a month or sometimes every 3 weeks so wow it really makes no sense to buy cheap stuff. Also Chevron in our area is the only dealer that offers Ethanol free but its only in the 94 octane

13. Wikedmini

Wikedmini MINI of the Month - December 2009

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    drive 200 miles daily and see how fast that extra 3 bucks adds up

14. Kodan

Kodan New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So you get an extra 3 bucks every other day... In the end thats about $550 a year extra in costs.... I am pretty sure the anti carbon treatment from the dealer costs close to this. Even if the antibuildup treatment isnt $500 you are running cleaner better gas. My parents had a cow that I bought a car that I will only put super premium gas in. That was till I pointed out compared to my Mustang that with the MPG difference I was still paying less for gas per month.